5/8" Rope midline splicing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asetree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
200 Ft. Stable Braid(Double Braid), rope with outer braid compromised, appears to have a couple of strands cut with 4 picks coming out near the center of the length. The core braid is undamaged. Can the outer braid be spliced mid-line, to bring this $280 piece of rope back to life? Sherrills catalog says the rope is spliceable and they can put an eye-splice on the end.

If so, do you have a recommendation for a rope repair service(place to send it for splicing) or can I attempt this myself in a reasonable amount of time? Any help is great.

Thanks,
A

rope splice

I've got one too. Expensive, sitting, waiting for repair 200' rope. My mentor taught me to splice 15 yrs ago - long lost skill and different type of rope. Who has the answers!?
Noticed in your profile asetree thet your interests are fitness and smoking. I'd let go of the fitness and pick up chocolate, coffee, alcohol and french fries!

I've got one too. Expensive, sitting, waiting for repair 200' rope. My mentor taught me to splice 15 yrs ago - long lost skill and different type of rope. Who has the answers!?
Noticed in your profile asetree thet your interests are fitness and smoking. I'd let go of the fitness and pick up chocolate, coffee, alcohol and french fries!

Skip the alcohol and just go with chocolate, coffee and french fries.:clap:

I have spliced a few ropes midline that I didn't want to lose. Never done it with a climbing line. I had a book with detail instructions; I'll see if I can find it again.

I found that the increased size of the splice limited the usefulness of the rope. They don't go through tackle very well. Still good to have around and you only lose a few feet.

Mr. HE:cool:

I knew I shouldn't have been so honest in my profile......
Anyway, Hddnis if you do find the book I would love to know the title.
Thanks,
A

Have never seen a midline splice used in an arborist application, does not mean it doesn't happen. I would be worried about the additional stress on the rope as it passes through/over natural crotches or through mechanical equipment. Might be something to ask the rope manufacturer.

Back