50:1 or 40:1?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ground hog day

My jonsered cs2171 that I got last summer is supposed to run on a 50:1 mix. I've never had any two stroke that ran on such a lean mixture. Is the EPA behind these new reccomendations? I'd like to get several years out of this one, and I've been mixing my gas 40:1 to be sure that I do. I would not have a problem buying synthetic 50:1 oil if I thought it would be better for my engine than what I'm doing now. Any advise on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks!

they say were young and we don't know,,,,,, where's bill murrey:dizzy:

:cheers:
well im no amsoils fan but what i pulled from the test the oil rich mixtures cleaned the deposits better than the leaner mix with correct jetting.

see no reason not to run 40:1 other than cost given these results.

That is the reason only take the test as grain of salt. Real life, you usually cannot adjust the mixture ratio. I post it because I have been searching all over the web in the past few months, very few unbias test. I have seen 2 test about how good Penzzoil is, a whole bunch of Amsoil tests which I totally discounted(Amsoil).

There were test to show cylinder temperature increase when you go from 50:1 down to 32:1. About 15 degs. 40:1 cause only 6 to 7 degs rise. I guess not too bad. But as I said deposit might be a bigger killer particularly on the new 4Mix and Shindi C4. If you have 2 cycle Echo where cylinder easily removable, then you can just open it up and clean the piston and rings periodically. Then use 32:1, it should be all good. Can't do this on hybrid 4 cycles, too too difficult to open and clean both valves and rings. Anyone can tell me whether Redmax Strato engine are as easy to open and clean as Echo?

Bottom line as I have said use JASO FD and close to the recommended ratio and have fun.

Last edited:
Hello everyone I'm new here and have been really impressed with the quality of info on here. My experience is mainly with 2-stroke dirtbikes and the big thing that people overlook with oil ratios is that the more oil you add the more viscous the resulting mix becomes and vice verse. I found this out the hard way 25 years ago when I changed to Bel-Ray MC1 at 50:1 from Silkolene at 25:1 in my 490 without rejetting. I was leading the only race I'd ever led on the last lap when the bike loaded up and came to a halt. By the time I'd cleared it out and got going again I was third and it became one of those "what might have been " days. After leaning out the jetting it ran fine again. With regard to chainsaws I'd say there is no problem at all with 50:1 ratios as long as it is good oil and you stick with one brand having adjusted the mixture accordingly.

That is the reason only take the test as grain of salt. Real life, you usually cannot adjust the mixture ratio. I post it because I have been searching all over the web in the past few months, very few unbias test. I have seen 2 test about how good Penzzoil is, a whole bunch of Amsoil tests which I totally discounted(Amsoil).

There were test to show cylinder temperature increase when you go from 50:1 down to 32:1. About 15 degs. 40:1 cause only 6 to 7 degs rise. I guess not too bad. But as I said deposit might be a bigger killer particularly on the new 4Mix and Shindi C4. If you have 2 cycle Echo where cylinder easily removable, then you can just open it up and clean the piston and rings periodically. Then use 32:1, it should be all good. Can't do this on hybrid 4 cycles, too too difficult to open and clean both valves and rings. Anyone can tell me whether Redmax Strato engine are as easy to open and clean as Echo?

Bottom line as I have said use JASO FD and close to the recommended ratio and have fun.

The slight increase in cylinder temperatures is likely because the mixture was not readjusted for the higher oil ratio. You'll get much more of an increase by just using alcohol containing gas over no alcohol, but readjust the mixture and it's back to "normal".

As for pulling the cylinder to clean the piston and rings ... you have got to be kidding. Run the correct ratio of 50:1, tune correctly, keep your filters clean, and you'll never need to pull the cylinder in the very very long life of the engine.

I'm with Gary...

Had this discussion with my local Stihl dealer the other day. His explanation was the saws of later years running 40/1 used parts that were heavy er & didnt run as high as rpm as the newer lighter ones. His answer to running 50/1 mix in the older ones was he has'nt seen it as a problem as the newer oils on the market are better than they were than at the time 40/1 was recommended. Having digested all the information on the continuing oil thread delima I have concluded that the saws will get mixed at a ratio of 45/1 using Ultra & the best fuel that is available in your area. If they pull the big switch & start adding ethanal then rechecking the max RPM is advised as it may be a bit on the lean side. :chainsaw:

I ride dirtbikes. Anyone that uses a fully synthetic premix such as motorex or redline can mix his fuel as lean as 100:1. I've been mixing my fuel around 60-75 or so. Every time I put new rings in or replace a piston I look in the bottom end and I'm always amazed as to how much freakin' oil is in that thing. I don't know how lean you'd have to mix your oil to dry up the bottom end, but it must be something like 200:1. I'm confident you're Ok with 50:1. Someone mentioned a lean condition smoking motors. That's very true.
Baraaaapp!!

The slight increase in cylinder temperatures is likely because the mixture was not readjusted for the higher oil ratio. You'll get much more of an increase by just using alcohol containing gas over no alcohol, but readjust the mixture and it's back to "normal".

As for pulling the cylinder to clean the piston and rings ... you have got to be kidding. Run the correct ratio of 50:1, tune correctly, keep your filters clean, and you'll never need to pull the cylinder in the very very long life of the engine.

I'm with Gary...

Yes I agree about re-adjusting can get back the correct temperature, but most of the new carb has no adjustment. Bottom line, don't mess with the good thing by adding too much oil.

I bought an old Echo engine on ebay and open it up to play with. I notice the top ring is sticking on one end, the second ring must have kept compression. Judging fromt the amount of oil in the crankcase and the condition of the plug, the former user was not over oiling the engine and the ring still stick and have deposit on the side of the piston. Kind of give me the impression that even if you use 50:1, still deposit may cause problem.

It is very easy to take the cylinder out!!! Taking out the cylinder and put it back is about a 10min. job and is not hard at all. I see nothing wrong to do this if someone want to prolong the life of the engine. Hey for someone more stubborn than me that insist on 32:1 no matter what, this might be their only way to make their engine last!!

Speaking of alcohol in gas, I found a web while I was following one of the thread here, they have an alcohol % measure device to test gasoline.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=18454

Maybe that be helpful to find a gas station that have less alcohol.

sorry, I didn't realize this subject has been beat to death. let me sneak one more question in-anybody ever heard of golden spectra? got some on a shelf left over from my dirt bike days. It must be 8 years old. does two stroke oil have a shelf life? so much good info I cant thank everybody enough.

anybody ever heard of golden spectra?

Golden Spectro is what i have run in my kawasakis for 25 years @ 32:1, some of the best oil you can get from a wear standpoint.

i have been running it in my saws @ 50:1. its semi-syn. 42:1 oil that can be mixed 25:1-70:1.

may not burn as clean as some of the newer oils but i dont think you will find an oil that shows much less wear if at all.

sorry, I didn't realize this subject has been beat to death. let me sneak one more question in-anybody ever heard of golden spectra? got some on a shelf left over from my dirt bike days. It must be 8 years old. does two stroke oil have a shelf life? so much good info I cant thank everybody enough.

Read up all the past threads, you'll learn a lot more. Yes, it has been beaten to death, revived and beaten to death, revived and beaten to death, revived......beaten......revived......

I think :deadhorse: is design mainly for oil.

BUT even everyone complain about beating the dead horse, everyone join in, and everytime turn into a mud slinging fest!!!! Go read all the old threads, it is absolutely entaining.

Here I am...

Figgered I better get in on this...

Aw heck... nevermind.

Gary

LOL...Maybe the mods can get this kind of thread sent directly to your PM box. You'd be the sole custodian for all the oil threads. I mean, you could take one for the team, Gary. And we'd all really appreciate it, wouldn't we ?

That's fine Bob... I'm all for it...

Rah! Rah! Go team... LMAO... :laugh:

To answer the other question... yes 2 stroke has a shelf life... if that Golden Spectro has been sittin' on your shelf for 8 years... junk it.

I have used Golden Spectro before in my dirt bikes... good stuff.

Gary

Latest posts

Back