50:1 TruFuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I found a good place to buy it at a price that is lower than any other place I've found. I know that I've said that I wouldn't spend that kind of money for pre-mix fuel because it was crazy expensive. But.....I have too much invested in my equipment to scrimp on the fuel. Besides, I don't use my equipment on a daily basis like some of you do.

Anyways, I went to Lowe's and their regular everyday price on the 50:1 TruFuel is $5.96 per 32oz. can. But, if you buy 6 cans or more, you'll get their "contractor pricing", which is approx. $4.96 per can. And, if you are a military veteran, you get an additional 10% off your total purchase. :msp_thumbup:

That reduced the overall price per can to $4.46 ea. before sales tax. That's the cheapest I've found it at, on-line or in any store. Lowe's gives the 10% military discount everyday. Home Depot used to do it, but now, they only offer the discount to active-duty military. :msp_mad:

So, I bought the min. purchase of 6 cans and that will last me a good while. I just wanted to make this known to those of you that didn't know. So, my search for E-free gas is over. Good thing, as it's just not available where I live.

I've been using the TruFuel from Lowes in all my 2-stroke OPE since May. In my new 550XP and 562XP I'm running the Husqvarna pre-mixed. Like you, I'm not a daily user but want some insurance that the equipment will be ready to go when I need it.

If you have oil just buy the 4 cycle and mix in your own oil. .6oz per can makes 50:1

I have plenty of the STIHL reg. oil and the HP Ultra for mixing. But, I can't get ethanol-free gas in my area. So, my best bet (for now) is to just buy the canned stuff.

The oil will last many years, so when and if, I can get some E-free gas, I will then start mixing up my own again.

Funny thing.....Lowe's also had the Husqvarna canned 50:1 fuel. It was $7.99 per can. :hmm3grin2orange:

I have plenty of the STIHL reg. oil and the HP Ultra for mixing. But, I can't get ethanol-free gas in my area. So, my best bet (for now) is to just buy the canned stuff.

The oil will last many years, so when and if, I can get some E-free gas, I will then start mixing up my own again.

Funny thing.....Lowe's also had the Husqvarna canned 50:1 fuel. It was $7.99 per can. :hmm3grin2orange:

Dano thats why i said to buy the 4 cycle Trufuel that way you can use up your oil.

The only thing more expensive than the two-stroke canned fuel, is to buy the 4-stroke canned stuff and then use your own oil. :msp_thumbdn:

The canned fuel is all the same price and you already HAVE the oil, after your oil is gone then buy the 50:1 or 40:1.

The canned fuel is all the same price and you already HAVE the oil, after your oil is gone then buy the 50:1 or 40:1.

The next time I make a run down to Phoenix, I'm gonna search for some E-free gas. Supposedly, they have several gas stations that sell it.

I'll buy 5 gallons, bring it home and mix some up. Hence, the need to have some oil on hand. :msp_thumbup:

Anywhere that sells VP race fuel can supply high octane, ethanol free, unleaded. Then you can pick your oil and its cheaper than buying by the pre-mixed quart can. Even using a high end ester-sythetic oil like Motul 800 2t, Bel-Ray H1R, or Maxima K2, its still less. Only downside is you are buying 5 gallons minimum, but it keeps for 2 years in a steel can, and that's without stabilizer.

My son bought me a case of Tru-Fuel, 40-1, at Lowes about three months ago. I keep it in my workshop. It must get pretty danged hot in there because the cans are now about 1/3 empty. Every can has lost that much volume in just three months.

That's roughly what I pay in Englewood, CO. For 91 octane, no alcohol. It's worth it, also I'm using Stihl Ultra @ 50:1.

It's a trip, hour each way, but I buy 5 gallons at a time and there is a decent Stihl dealer within a few miles of the station.

I've done some searching on-line for gas stations in my area, that supposedly sell the ethanol-free gasoline. What I've found, for the most part, is that you need to actually call the gas station in question, and ask them if they do indeed, sell E-free gas.

Some of the answers I've received are absolutely crazy, meaning that a good percentage of those answering the phone, don't even know if they do or not. Most don't even know the octane rating of the gas they sell.

Kinda an old thread, I know, but I just tried this fuel out today in my old Stihl 020AV because I want to avoid ever having to take the carb apart since parts are unavailable. The saw ran very poorly (rough idle, poor throttle response, dying) on this Trufuel compared to running fine on Shell 89 octane + Stihl oil + B&S stabilizer. I tried adjusting the low mixture and it didn't help. Anyone had this issue and what did you do to fix it? I've read the mixture may need to be adjusted for different fuels, but I'm not sure which way to adjust.

Kinda an old thread, I know, but I just tried this fuel out today in my old Stihl 020AV because I want to avoid ever having to take the carb apart since parts are unavailable. The saw ran very poorly (rough idle, poor throttle response, dying) on this Trufuel compared to running fine on Shell 89 octane + Stihl oil + B&S stabilizer. I tried adjusting the low mixture and it didn't help. Anyone had this issue and what did you do to fix it? I've read the mixture may need to be adjusted for different fuels, but I'm not sure which way to adjust.

I've seen tons of posts with guys complaining about various brands of gasoline, age of gas, octane ratings, oil and mix ratios, etc.

Maybe it's just me and I'm lucky, but I'm not (and haven't) experienced any problems and/or issues so far. I've even used old gas in my prior Stihl FS-44 trimmer. That damn thing would drink anything and not complain.

And, I've never had to adjust carb settings from one gas/oil ratio to another, canned fuel or not. Octane rating doesn't seem to be an issue with me. I've changed them from time to time, and no difference in performance.

Maybe I just have a lucky star.............;)

Latest posts

Back