50 Year Old Stihl First Start & Tune After Full Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the 031's, my dad ran 2 for literally decades. I have his and have done a few rebuilds on others. But why did it take ages for parts? From my experience there are gobs of parts available.

Hope you enjoy, took ages to get the parts but it’s finally done.

Good job, Tom. It takes patience galore to find NOS parts for vintage chainsaw restores, some have taken me 7 years to find enough NOS parts to build a 65 year old saw.

Good job, Tom. It takes patience galore to find NOS parts for vintage chainsaw restores, some have taken me 7 years to find enough NOS parts to build a 65 year old saw.
Thanks so much Jerry, it taught me patience haha 7 years is crazy, but admirable, well done :)

I like the 031's, my dad ran 2 for literally decades. I have his and have done a few rebuilds on others. But why did it take ages for parts? From my experience there are gobs of parts available.
Hey mate :) the odd part you can still get from stihl, but everything else is a waiting game, nearly everything is proprietary for this model and even then, because the model evolved, the parts weren’t always interchangeable between different designs, oiler gears, seals and main crank shaft bearings were an example of this. Piston rings were very difficult to find, c-clips too. Then you had parts that were so expensive I wasn’t prepared to pay the huge hike and international expense.

Hey mate :) the odd part you can still get from stihl, but everything else is a waiting game, nearly everything is proprietary for this model and even then, because the model evolved, the parts weren’t always interchangeable between different designs, oiler gears, seals and main crank shaft bearings were an example of this. Piston rings were very difficult to find, c-clips too. Then you had parts that were so expensive I wasn’t prepared to pay the huge hike and international expense.
I sold a minty 031 5 yrs ago for $150 US, needed the money and it came to me in a package deal, so almost free. I found it to be heavy, slow, uncomfortable to use and in the way of more usable saws that were available to me. I guess it didn't fit my needs as a collector, your milage may vary of course.

I sold a minty 031 5 yrs ago for $150 US, needed the money and it came to me in a package deal, so almost free. I found it to be heavy, slow, uncomfortable to use and in the way of more usable saws that were available to me. I guess it didn't fit my needs as a collector, your milage may vary of course.
Interesting! I find it the opposite, I like the ergos, however I don’t judge it by modern standards either, it’s 50 years old lol…

I like the heavy older saws, they may have slow chain speed but you can really lean on them hard and they keep pulling. The only real issue is they need refueling more often than modern saws, their fuel tanks were made a hair too small for their thirst. They really shine running the heavier fuel/oil mix, just make darn sure to empty the tank for storage or you'll find lots of varnish formed in it.

I like the heavy older saws, they may have slow chain speed but you can really lean on them hard and they keep pulling. The only real issue is they need refueling more often than modern saws, their fuel tanks were made a hair too small for their thirst. They really shine running the heavier fuel/oil mix, just make darn sure to empty the tank for storage or you'll find lots of varnish formed in it.
I agree on the fuel consumption, guys back in the day must of took 5 gal of gas with them for a day of cutting. My old saws go thru gas like crazy.

Bearings and seals can all be cross referenced to something you can get at any bearing supplier useally.

I agree on the fuel consumption, guys back in the day must of took 5 gal of gas with them for a day of cutting. My old saws go thru gas like crazy.
I've put 5-gal/day through a Homie Super XL. I was young strong and didn't know saws could be quiet and had AV.........

Latest posts

Back