5100 dolmar as your main saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melly-mel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
if you had to cut up a few cords of firewood, do some felling of 18 inch dia and less trees, and clean up, would this saw be enough? i was currently looking at the 6400, and the 361, but the more i read, and have been thinking about it i feel the 5100 may be the way to go. it is small enough for limbing if needed, and seems powerful enough for larger stuff. so if you were gonna have 1 saw to do what i described would this be enough? i don't wanna make the wrong choice and be disappointed. if not thats fine. i want honest opinions, and your experience and expertise is needed to help me make my decision. i am a carpenter, not a arborist, and appreciate any input here fellas.

A 18" is the max I would run on a 5100. It should pull it buried with a muffler mod. You may find that you need more power though......just a thought.

I would say shoot for a 60cc. Either 361/6400 would make a great all around saw. You can always use 2 bars, a 16" and 24" combo. Use the 16" for limbs and small stuff, then break out the 24" for felling and large bucking.:chainsaw:

if you had to cut up a few cords of firewood, do some felling of 18 inch dia and less trees, and clean up, would this saw be enough? i was currently looking at the 6400, and the 361, but the more i read, and have been thinking about it i feel the 5100 may be the way to go. it is small enough for limbing if needed, and seems powerful enough for larger stuff. so if you were gonna have 1 saw to do what i described would this be enough? i don't wanna make the wrong choice and be disappointed. if not thats fine. i want honest opinions, and your experience and expertise is needed to help me make my decision. i am a carpenter, not a arborist, and appreciate any input here fellas.

That fits about what I prefer the MS361 with 15 and 18" bars for - the Dolmar 5100 will do it as well, but with less margin of safety (if something larger turns up).

The 361 is light enough to be a very good limbing saw, imo the 6400 is not.

I'd take the 361 for sure, if it was to be my only saw. :cheers:

If price is an issue (most times it is) I would look for a 6400 that the HD rental shop sells off. If you want to get new you can get the 5100 for almost 1/2 the price of the 361.

I sell PS 5100 saws everyday with 20" bars on them. Customers run a semi-skip chain and love the combination. For the price, weight and power, there is not a better combination. The 6400 is a good saw as well, but if you are doing mostly small stuff, and don't mind spending a couple extra minutes cutting, the 5100 is a good choice.

Absolutely the perfect choice if your working with 18" and under firewood. Plenty of power, nice and revy for limbing. Have it come with 3/8th chain and an 18" bar. If you go for a 20" bar stay with .325. But the ideal is 3/8th with an 18". You'll love it. Perfect firewood /limbing saw for the money.:cheers:

Absolutely the perfect choice if your working with 18" and under firewood. Plenty of power, nice and revy for limbing. Have it come with 3/8th chain and an 18" bar. If you go for a 20" bar stay with .325. But the ideal is 3/8th with an 18". You'll love it. Perfect firewood /limbing saw for the money.:cheers:

yeah, thanks alot for all the input fellas. as of now i am seriously leaning toward the 5100. this way i can move up to a larger saw later on if i want, and still have this for general use. Any dealers hear? PM me prices for a 5100 with a 3/8 chain and 18 inch bar. shipped to zip code 12572.

Saws of choice

I've got several saws and I find now I reach for the lightest saw that will do the job. Most of my cutting is with a 488 Shindaiwa 18" bar which I think (not wanting to start a war here) is the same class as the 5100. I guess my point is I'd opt for the 5100 or similar size saw in your situation as I think it will do most of what you want to do without dragging around extra weight.
Makes a big difference when you get older as I am finding out.

An undersized saw will do more than what it was designed for if you've got a good sharp chain and are willing to take your time.

I haven't ran a 5100 or infact seen one in person, but a friends dad cuts everything with (2) 026 PRO and a 084, the 084 doesn't pulled much. He has cut a lot of firewood for a long time with those two saws alone. I think you'd be okay from what everyone says of the 5100. But you'd proably love the 361 more. Just depends on your budget, and if a little more work don't bother you.

My Dad just bought a new 5100S and it and an awesome saw. He uses it as his primary saw and it rocks. It balances really well with an 18" bar , but I am sure that it would pull a 20" (I would get the 18" though). If you aren't logging, I don't see much need for a huge saw if you are only buying one. That comes later after you get the "fever". Buy the 5100 and don't look back! :clap:

For 15 years or so, I used my 028 to do exactly what you want to do--yeah I think a 5100 would be fine.

BTW I really like my 6401.

Partner, for years all I had for a chainsaw was a 3400 Poulan. I pulled a
20" bar and chain and never had a problem, and I never felt underpowered. I think if you aren't going to be cutting professionally you would be in great shape with a 5100.
I would like to go to the woods with some of these guys and see how they cut and how fast their saws really are. I cut a lot with an 041, an 031 and a 3400+ and I can tell you without question that any one of those saws will cut more wood in a couple of hours than I feel like loading, unloading and splitting.
I am not saying they are wrong, just maybe their expectations are higher than mine. Cut a couple pickup loads with a crosscut saw and you will find out that there is no slow chainsaw!
Mike

Yip

If your just doing general firewood cutting and brush clearing the 5100 will do it for ya bro. Look no further. Honestly I'd say stop right there. For around $400 there's NOTHING out there that will touch it dude. Even for a little more... It won't cure cancer, but it worked well on my pneumonia, lmao... One thing to do when you get it is to check check and re-check that your chain is ALWAYS tight. With that sucker turning 14,500 it'll fling the chain off cutting brush in a second. And much worse than the older 12k rpm saws... You get one and you'll love it. Man I sure do love mine. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Matter of fact i'm thinking of buying another and putting the new one on a shelf for years to come...

:clap: :cheers:

Back