5100 just burned up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure am buddy!

That bad azz 362 is working awesome! Better than expected!

Good to hear man. My rep came by today and told me well I reckon I'll sell you that demo now. I said ok, how much. He goes ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't know. He treats me good I'll tell ya. Looks like you and me both now have 362's, :cheers::cheers:

Even if you only made a few cuts with it, the exhaust note would tell you that it was way lean. You just didn't listen to it.

Even if you only made a few cuts with it, the exhaust note would tell you that it was way lean. You just didn't listen to it.

You own a Dolmar shop?...
evil%20guy%20pointing.JPG

it was just tuned by the dealer about 6 months ago(Summer time of course) so I hope(?) they could get that correct. I am going down to talk with them later this week, and hope it will all work out, but not real hopeful. It was sitting about 3 months, but I emptied the gas, and put in fresh mix today. i will let you know how it turns out.

well, tuned in summer is not the same as tuned today...

there are a lot of factors that could make it be in need of retuning 6 months later.

Looks like a tuning issue purposely made at the factory, to "cheat" on the EPA system....:givebeer:

The good dealers solve the problem before the saw is handed out, but the lesser ones does't.

You obviously know what you are doing, but Dolmar should inform all their dealers about the issue! :cheers:

Spot on Troll....You nailed it. :clap:

Maybe this is true, and maybe it's an easy out for Dolmar.

Than why did they redesign the case? Dolmar says the new case design improves cylinder cooling.:cheers::popcorn:

Remember guys this is coming from a huge Dolmar fan.

But there's many more that haven't fried from the old case design so I still say it's a tuning problem. As Spike said: running them on the ragged edge.

But there's many more that haven't fried from the old case design so I still say it's a tuning problem. As Spike said: running them on the ragged edge.

Even back in early 2007, I didn't dare to buy a 5100S, without buying a tach at the same time - a few words were out even then.....:givebeer:

If the incidence of failure throughout the entire 5100 population is the same as the incidence here on as (for our small population), you have to wonder how Dolmar isn't pulling their hair out over the replacement costs for all of these P&Cs.

Granted, we have a bias, as AS is a place where people go when they have problems, more so than when they have success stories.

RIGHT ON!

As said in the past, many times.

If you can't hear a leaned out engine, you probably have no business running one anyways.

If the incidence of failure throughout the entire 5100 population is the same as the incidence here on as (for our small population), you have to wonder how Dolmar isn't pulling their hair out over the replacement costs for all of these P&Cs.

Granted, we have a bias, as AS is a place where people go when they have problems, more so than when they have success stories.

You are right, no one comes on to AS just to say: "I ran my saw today and there were no issues" however there seems to be a lot more issues with this particular 50 cc saw than with any other saw mentioned on this site.

it was just tuned by the dealer about 6 months ago(Summer time of course) so I hope(?) they could get that correct. I am going down to talk with them later this week, and hope it will all work out, but not real hopeful. It was sitting about 3 months, but I emptied the gas, and put in fresh mix today. i will let you know how it turns out.

Unless you take the carb apart and get all of the gas out of it a small amount will remain in it and gunk it up, maybe worse than if it was full. If using gas with ethonal, add a little stabil or sea foam, try and start saws every month and if they sound at all different after storage don't run them, clean the carb. Steve

RIGHT ON!

As said in the past, many times.

If you can't hear a leaned out engine, you probably have no business running one anyways.

HUH????

Most people that buy a 5100S or 5105 most likely have no idea what to listen for - on top of that, hitting the rev limiter sound a lot like "four-stroking"

You just can't expect the costumer to fix a problem that is made at the factory, and overlooked/ignored by the dealer! :censored:

HUH????

Most people that buy a 5100S or 5105 most likely have no idea what to listen for - on top of that, hitting the rev limiter sound a lot like "four-stroking"

You just can't expect the costumer to fix a problem that is made at the factory, and overlooked/ignored by the dealer! :censored:

Yeah and saws are NOT toys, the end user has responsibilities for his safety, and proper use of the saw (including not over revving it)

"Gee I didn't know the saw would kick back and cut my face off"

Dolmar warrents these saws, if they are as bad as it seems here, they would have surely pulled the plug on them.

If you buy a hot rod, you need to take some responsibility for it's well being!

"Lean is mean, but fat is where it's at"

HUH????

And you can't expect the average Joe Blow to know how to tune in the wood.

Argh, piff'em in the corner with the 441's (fat and can't port em) and 372's (don't stack up against a bigger saw). :)

Yeah and saws are NOT toys, the end user has responsibilities for ..... (including not over revving it)

That is where you go wrong, the initial rpms are the responsibility of the factory, and then the dealer - reasonably good dealers would never hand out an over-reving saw, and they would ask you to come back for a re-tune after 10-20 tanks, or so - but in this case it looks like the main blame belongs at a higher level in "the food chain" :givebeer:

Last edited:
Back