5100S Tuning: Target RPM Poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimal RPM's for a Dolmar 5100S

• Run it right out of the box!

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • 14,250 to 14,500

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • 14,000 to 14,250

Votes: 28 43.8%
  • 13,750 to 14,000

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • 13,500 to 13,750

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • 13,250 to 13,500

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • 13,000 to 13,250

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Under 13,000

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

Islander

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Being a 5100S owner myself, thought I'd take advantage of the recent threads to focus more on the solution than the problem.

There's clear consensus that these saws need to be tuned and richened before use. Even Dolmar says so.

My question is how rich is rich enough? For those that tune with a Tach, what do you recommend for target RPM's to balance reliability and performance?

Mine started at 14,200, and hit the limiter about when run in - then I set it at 14,400.

It worked well, at least on that one, made dec 2006!

I bought a tach with the saw, it is a nice thing to have!

For costumers that don't have a tach, I suspect they should be set a bit lower.

Last edited:
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid701.photobucket.com/albums/ww11/CHEVYTOWN/VIDS/88pinCanyonOakSquarechisel.flv">

DSCF1380.jpg

Hey! It didn't blowed it up:hmm3grin2orange:

Don't know....Don't own a tach and haven't managed to toast it yet.....I got it tuned just to where it won't 4 stroke in the cut. Depending on the weather, if it starts to 4 stroke in the cut I lean it out a hair. If it seems like it's running exceptionally strong/hot I fatten it up till it 4 strokes in the cut than a hair lean again till it runs smooth in the cut.

No tach required this way and it still runs damn strong. Strong enough to cut some firewood. I'm sure there's more left in the tank but it's good enough for me. Plus piston and cylinder still look great this way! :givebeer:

Don't know....Don't own a tach and haven't managed to toast it yet.....I got it tuned just to where it won't 4 stroke in the cut. Depending on the weather, if it starts to 4 stroke in the cut I lean it out a hair. If it seems like it's running exceptionally strong/hot I fatten it up till it 4 strokes in the cut than a hair lean again till it runs smooth in the cut.

No tach required this way and it still runs damn strong. Strong enough to cut some firewood. I'm sure there's more left in the tank but it's good enough for me. Plus piston and cylinder still look great this way! :givebeer:
Same here, not just the dolmar but all my saws.

That number was tuned by ear. I do the same now. And check with the tach to make sure I'm on.

I can tell now when it's off the limiter in muffler mode or pipe mode. That's the best I could do without hitting the limiter tuning by ear.

You just have to start doing it to get good at it.

Rick

Cold Weather Leanness?

Depending on the weather, if it starts to 4 stroke in the cut I lean it out a hair.

Any advice for colder weather use? I'm planning to cut some firewood from my back nine this weekend while most of the snow is gone and the ground is good and frozen (normally a swampy area). Temps around 10deg F or so.

Does a 5100S tend to lean out in colder weather? I'll make sure I flip the cold air thingy...

Also thanks for everyone's votes...helpful data.

Any advice for colder weather use? I'm planning to cut some firewood from my back nine this weekend while most of the snow is gone and the ground is good and frozen (normally a swampy area). Temps around 10deg F or so.

Does a 5100S tend to lean out in colder weather? I'll make sure I flip the cold air thingy...

Also thanks for everyone's votes...helpful data.
I'm a newb and I noticed pretty quick when it starts to scream a bit (lean) due to really tough work or really cold air. It seems pretty obvious, really.
Start into a cut and then lift the bar a bit. You should notice a bit of burble or "4-stroking" when the load is taken away from the engine. If not, back the HS out a bit (it usually doesn't take much).
If you're still unsure, back the HS out to the limiter if you still have them. Hopefully that's enough.

Last edited:
I bought my 5100S from AS Sponsor Cutting Edge, and 166 set it up for me at around 14.2-14.3K. Real men of saws those fellows.

I've used it a few times in the cold, and haven't noticed much of a difference. I'm guessing its rich enough, but I don't have a tach. It stops 4-stoking in the bark, and that seems about right. Haven't tried it near zero yet...looking pretty cold tomorrow, so we'll see (unless I chicken out).

I bought my 5100S from AS Sponsor Cutting Edge, and 166 set it up for me at around 14.2-14.3K. Real men of saws those fellows.

I've used it a few times in the cold, and haven't noticed much of a difference. I'm guessing its rich enough, but I don't have a tach. It stops 4-stoking in the bark, and that seems about right. Haven't tried it near zero yet...looking pretty cold tomorrow, so we'll see (unless I chicken out).

If they set it up like you said, you're likely good to go in the colder weather. If you run good fuel mix, keep your chain sharp, and your filter clean, you shouldn't have any problems.

Latest posts

Back