511 ax chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't want the linked Bailey's DG-2 for $99 (it is for the Lucas mill), but rather their #45516 for $199.99. I have the 1/8" Stihl diamond wheel that the dealers got when Stihl equipped the MS230C with the carbide chain. If works fine for lo-pro, but I plan to buy a diamond wheel in 3/16 for the 3/8 and .404 carbide chains.

Be sure to only use the diamond wheel on carbide chain. I understand that using it on regular steel chain will ruin the wheel. They fill the wheel in or something like that.

You may already know that, but just wanted to mention it in this thread - it would be an expensive lesson to learn the hard way.

Philbert

I have used diamond abrasives on both steel and carbide in my saw blade sharpeners, drill bit sharpeners, Dremel bits, etc without ever having the abrasive surfaces load up. I know of local Stihl shops that routinely use the diamond wheels exclusively for all their chain sharpening. I think the key is to always ensure that the surfaces to be ground are squeaky clean, and to proceed slowly enough to avoid excessive heat build up. My diamond or CBN wheels don't even make sparks when used with a light touch.

I have used diamond abrasives on both steel and carbide in my saw blade sharpeners, drill bit sharpeners, Dremel bits, etc without ever having the abrasive surfaces load up. I know of local Stihl shops that routinely use the diamond wheels exclusively for all their chain sharpening.

This is very different from all of the recommendations I have seen, including those from several wheel manufacturers. Typically, their recommendations are like this:

Typically, diamond wheels are used strictly on carbides and CBN is used on steels. Some manufacturers produce a 'hybrid' wheel which is a special grit that will grind both steels and carbides (Typically used on parts that require grinding of carbide and steel at the same time). Plated diamond wheels are used on non-ferrous materials such as plastics, rubbers, nylons, fiberglass, etc.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back