55 wont start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joshua mason

joshua mason

ArboristSite Operative
today i decided to check out my saw and noticed alot of carbon build up around the exhaust port and on the piston. so i decided i would tear into the thing and clean it up. finally got it put back together and now it wont start. i have fire, seems to be getting fuel, at least the plug is wet after a few pulls. is it possible that cleaning the piston and cylinder caused the compression to drop too low. there were a couple of marks on the piston, cylinder looked fine. any suggestions.

thanks josh

newguy18

newguy18

Addicted to ArboristSite
You can buy just the piston and rings but make sure you buy gaskets as well.You didn't notice a decrease in compression and your absoluty certain you have spark.can you post a pic of the scores in the piston?It sounds like a piston and rings will do it though.

joshua mason

joshua mason

ArboristSite Operative
thanks for all the help. i can get the thing to start now. i think it is sucking air. i did not replace the gaskets, they looked fine so i thought i could reuse them. ill be getting the gaskets as soon as i can.

Last edited:
HiOctane

HiOctane

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
thanks for all the help. i can get the thing to start now. i think it is sucking air. i did not replace the gaskets, they looked fine so i thought i could reuse them. ill be getting the gaskets as soon as i can.
Be sure your intake rubber is well installed,the "lip" could be turned inside the port.Check the tiny one for the pulse too.

Latest posts