Stihl 026 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camel2019

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I finally got to tearing down my free 026 story goes is it was straight gassed friend gave it to me after a friend gave it to him. Cylinder and piston do not look horrible but piston will need to be replaced. Rest of the saw rode hard and put away wet is a good explanation for it.

I am wondering if I can clean up this cylinder though I didn’t give it the greatest look over before I put it back together for the time being.

Attachments

• IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1049.png
    IMG_1049.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
I use home-made mandrels in a battery-powered 3/8" drill.

I have done the same on a MS261 at work. New Piston and rings and it is minty fresh. IMO, less risk of damaging the cylinder. Simple, immediate results and you can see it happening.

@camel2019 Absolutely the cylinder in your photo can be cleaned up. Since the view is limited, there may be something we can't see.

I have done the same on a MS261 at work. New Piston and rings and it is minty fresh. IMO, less risk of damaging the cylinder. Simple, immediate results and you can see it happening.

@camel2019 Absolutely the cylinder in your photo can be cleaned up. Since the view is limited, there may be something we can't see.

That’s the worst of it as far as I seen. If it can be cleaned up I will throw a meteor piston in it. I didn’t vac test it but I’m also thinking crank seals and possibly gaskets fuel lines ect. It has the walbro 194 I know some didn’t and guys like to switch them out so that’s a plus.

Clean up cylinder with some wet/dry paper and dish detergent solution and post some better pictures, of the piston too.

There was a guy on ebay back a while that had NOS pistons for ~$40-50. A bought a couple.

Check the bore, some are 44mm, or may have had a newer 44.7mm installed

Clean up cylinder with some wet/dry paper and dish detergent solution and post some better pictures, of the piston too.

There was a guy on ebay back a while that had NOS pistons for ~$40-50. A bought a couple.

Check the bore, some are 44mm, or may have had a newer 44.7mm installed
I do believe this is the older 44mm cylinder. Part number is mahle w12 44zk1. It also doesn’t have a decomp. I was looking earlier for some wet dry but seems my auto body tool box is out. Piston is scored up not the worst I have seen and the rings are still free but it’s probably best to replace it.

I do believe this is the older 44mm cylinder. Part number is mahle w12 44zk1. It also doesn’t have a decomp. I was looking earlier for some wet dry but seems my auto body tool box is out. Piston is scored up not the worst I have seen and the rings are still free but it’s probably best to replace it.

Only one nearby oldtime hardware store still stocks good selection of wet/dry paper.

Sales people don't know WTF crocus cloth is anymore either.......

Only one nearby oldtime hardware store still stocks good selection of wet/dry paper.

Sales people don't know WTF crocus cloth is anymore either.......
I can get it just about anywhere here but the auto body supply is usually where I go. So far I’m happy with this free 026 I could use a good light worksaw the 08s nice but heavy for what it is.

There is a line that concerns me under the port that looks as if the plating could have a crack in it.

You really have to do some preliminary cleaning to really see what you have to work with.

The piece that looks like a toenail drawn from the ex-port? Hard to tell could just be a smear of dirty oil or carbon.

A quick finger hone would likely tell.

The piece that looks like a toenail drawn from the ex-port? Hard to tell could just be a smear of dirty oil or carbon.

A quick finger hone would likely tell.
What grit should I start with?

Other than what was told to me I have no history on the saw as far as what oil was run(when it was ram with mix) or anything it does have a good amount of carbon build up in the muffler so much so that removing it I had to dig out a screw head.

What grit should I start with?

Other than what was told to me I have no history on the saw as far as what oil was run(when it was ram with mix) or anything it does have a good amount of carbon build up in the muffler so much so that removing it I had to dig out a screw head.

Throw the muffler halves in a bed of hot coals.

I use ~ 120-180 grit just to get the surface cleaned up and go from there. You won't hurt anything just using your fingers. Use detergent to get the oily residue off.

hopefully you can save the old cylinder as they have better port timing than the newer ones.

Does your fingernail catch in any of the scores either side of the exhaust port? If so it will be tough to save the cylinder. Personally I don't use a drill, because it can be too harsh. I sand by hand using 120-180 grit for ages. Don't sand in and out of the cylinder but in circles around the perimeter/circumference. Get a piston that fits really well.

Pressure and vac test is essential to avoid wasting money on parts.

Cat said the piston won't sand out!
I had a black n white very much like yours, a constant hunter but had little desire to be around machines, he passed at the age of 18 and my daughter gave me a Maine Coon kitten to take the others place, well the Maine Coon has grown into a large animal and he likes to help work on anything I am doing, he is a paws on kind of animal.

I had a black n white very much like yours, a constant hunter but had little desire to be around machines, he passed at the age of 18 and my daughter gave me a Maine Coon kitten to take the others place, well the Maine Coon has grown into a large animal and he likes to help work on anything I am doing, he is a paws on kind of animal.
lol I have had dogs and cats like that gotta be right there.

Back