550xp vs 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You better make up your mind fast. My sales rep came by yesterday begging for a 346 because another dealer had run out - and they are finally NLA. I couldn't order more if I wanted to, good thing I stocked up when I saw the end was near :D Hope your dealer did the same!

That said, get the 550.

No way it is, you just want it to be, because it is cheaper! :msp_biggrin:
I've got the Dolmar and its been a good saw. But it is also has a stiff pull to start, which is not so good for an arthritic person. I've yet to see a saw-to-saw comparison between the 550 XP and the latest Echo 50 cc saw. How much would one lose on saw quality and performance in return for a lower price for the Echo?

I've got the Dolmar and its been a good saw. But it is also has a stiff pull to start, which is not so good for an arthritic person.

That's called compression and those 5100s have it.

I've got the Dolmar and its been a good saw. But it is also has a stiff pull to start, which is not so good for an arthritic person. I've yet to see a saw-to-saw comparison between the 550 XP and the latest Echo 50 cc saw. How much would one lose on saw quality and performance in return for a lower price for the Echo?

The 346xp and 550xp both have compression release to make it easier to pull.

Personally, I would not even look at the new Echo saws. But that's just me...

The Echo CS-500P is a great 50cc saw -- it's a Shindaiwa model, and a nice combination of design, weight, and power.

A warranty shouldn't be the selling point of a piece of equipment ;) it's nice to have but should be the last thing considered.

Yeah, warranties on saws seem to be inversely proportional to quality - pro stihls 3 months, homeowner 1 year, pro Husky 6 months?, homeowner - 2 years??

I have a 550xp on order, when I called back apparently some other pros/outfit was putting in an order for several 550s and I was added on to that one - barring a last minute change of mind - or some other problem it looks like that is what I am getting, despite it costing $50-75 more than a 346xp at this time. I simply like the new features and would not be satisfied without them. Am I being realistic about the value of the new features or if I will regret the new 'unproven' technology seems to be the question..

I'm a full time chainsaw sculptor and have both saws. The 346xp being an old edition. I love the 550's handling and engine over the 346. They are so close in weight yet the 550 feels lighter to me. I never second guessed my choice of the 550 over a ne346. The 550 is a screamer with the torque of a higher cc saw. Hold both and make your choice, they are both phenomenal saws

I'm a full time chainsaw sculptor and have both saws. The 346xp being an old edition. I love the 550's handling and engine over the 346. They are so close in weight yet the 550 feels lighter to me. I never second guessed my choice of the 550 over a ne346. The 550 is a screamer with the torque of a higher cc saw. Hold both and make your choice, they are both phenomenal saws

Well put!

Im not one to jump on new technology as it comes out, but did decide to grab a 550. I am very happy with it, and the power is great. Very strong low end, and it will definitely turn some rpms when you let it. Very well handling saw too, and does feel quite a bit lighter than even specs show in my hands.

Im not one to jump on new technology as it comes out, but did decide to grab a 550. I am very happy with it, and the power is great. Very strong low end, and it will definitely turn some rpms when you let it. Very well handling saw too, and does feel quite a bit lighter than even specs show in my hands.

First thing I noticed when picking up and handling the 550 was how light and good it felt in my hands. It had 16" 325 set up.

The woods ported 550 I ran felt so light and nimble in my hands I loved that. But I still would take a woods ported 346 45cc or 50cc motor with 357 carb IF we could get it in the 550 package. :msp_biggrin:

First thing I noticed when picking up and handling the 550 was how light and good it felt in my hands. It had 16" 325 set up.

The woods ported 550 I ran felt so light and nimble in my hands I loved that.

I never ran that one. I might let you talk me into running mine, as long as you wear your green Poulan undies lol. You dont need to show me, Ill take your word on it haha.

I could be persuaded to let you run my woods ported husky 45cc xpg and redmax 5000 on test day. ;):msp_biggrin:

Ill make it out your way for a vip mini gtg one of these days haha. Wife is full term as of today, and I am going to take the week off after. If the MIL is going to hang around for half a day or so I might end up having a spare minute or two.

Ill make it out your way for a vip mini gtg one of these days haha. Wife is full term as of today, and I am going to take the week off after. If the MIL is going to hang around for half a day or so I might end up having a spare minute or two.

Cool.

I sold my best running stock 5000 plus that compared to 5105 with 5100 muffler and 50cc stock 346 at last mini gtg. Maybe have our friend up north bring those too.

Cool.

I sold my best running stock 5000 plus that compared to 5105 with 5100 muffler and 50cc stock 346 at last mini gtg. Maybe have our friend up north bring those too.

Sounds good to me, just let me know. If Im not on here, have him give me a buzz.

After running Brads Saturday, I have one in mind as well. I really liked it alot.

Only thing that bothers me is lack of a good Husky dealer around here if the electronics go toes up. Might do it anyway, especially if I find a good home for this 5100....

The woods ported 550 I ran felt so light and nimble in my hands I loved that. But I still would take a woods ported 346 45cc or 50cc motor with 357 carb IF we could get it in the 550 package. :msp_biggrin:

I think the .325 would definitely shine a lot better if it were fitted with an 8-pin rim. These things are hard to slow down. As much as I'd like to keep 3/8 chain on my saw I'm really thinking about putting .325 back on there just to see how much faster the 8-pin would be. And I don't mean see IF it's faster, but rather how much faster it IS :D

Latest posts

Back