550XP vs MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After watching the 550 video over and over again, I'm even more blown away than I already was. I mean the rpm's in the wood that thing is turning is impressive to say the least.

I myself have had two modern 60cc saws, a 361 and a 362. Both were fine saw, however I no longer own either. With the 550 being what I think it is, the 10cc gap wasn't just closed in my mind, it was obliterated. Even if the 362 has a slight power advantage, {which I now question after watching the video a million times} we have a 10# 50cc saw with as much or more power than any 12-13# 60cc saw. I've been on the fence about the one saw question for some time, I now see no reason for a 60cc saw whatsoever. Now if the 562 I ran was truly a one off dog, and they really do run, I may change my mind.

Pertaining to the question of using a 50cc saw to cut anything 20" or larger, this is what I've found over the years. More often than not after felling a good size tree, I start out bumping the branches with a 346, and before I know it I've bucked up the whole tree without ever even stopping to look at one of the big boys. Lets be honest, most make do heating their homes with a lot less than a 70, 80 or 90cc saw, it's not realistic or logical for most to go out and buy a $1,000 saw to cut 5-10 cords of wood a year. This is where I think the 550 will kill the competition.

My .02

Andre.

I hope you haven't assumed that I'm realistic or logical..;)

Fact is, I'm not sure I even want this saw ported as I'm only ever going to run a 16" bar on it. I have no intentions of anything larger. I don't want a saw always screaming in the cut, max rpm all the time probably ain't good lol if I can't put a load on to slow it down!

But the other part of me says you idiot of course you want it ported!

Fact is, I'm not sure I even want this saw ported as I'm only ever going to run a 16" bar on it. I have no intentions of anything larger. I don't want a saw always screaming in the cut, max rpm all the time probably ain't good lol if I can't put a load on to slow it down!

But the other part of me says you idiot of course you want it ported!

I feel the same with my MM 346 it's one of those 1 in a 1,000 that just run better than the other 99.

It's a long vid, some of you may find it boring. I tried to cut with varying pressure and style throughout. The wood is maple.

[video=youtube;KNcfwN78fLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNcfwN78fLc[/video]

Please don't ask if the chain was sharp or aggressive, I think we can see the answer to that ;)

That saw looks amazing! Keep in mind, red maple is a VERY soft hardwood but still the saw is cutting like a champ. I would port it in a heartbeat! Nice video and I can't wait to see it compared with the 261!

Last edited:
A lot of people, including me, want to see how the 550 and 261 stack up. Here is a video of my ported 261 cutting through the exact same wood (red maple) as TK's video, but of a smaller diameter. Not a fair comparison of course, but still interesting...

[video=youtube;athPVtB32lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=athPVtB32lw[/video]

As for the 50cc vs 60cc saw debate I can't tell the difference between my 346xp and my ms360 in 20'' red oak. I haven't put much time on the 346 but it is impressive to me that a saw that light can run that strong, granted it does have a muff mod and an unlimited coil. I could do without a 60cc saw but the 360 was my first saw so there is some sentimental value there. Keep up the good work Brad, I always enjoy reading your threads.

Really not interesting... Stock for stock or muff modded to muffed to muff muffed, ported doesn't count as thats up to the builder. Steve

That is a good point, however I do find it interesting to compare two ported saws. I runs saws for work and not out of a curious interest in small engines so what I really want to know is NOT which one runs best out of the box in a level playing field, but which one can be made to run the strongest by a good saw builder. Therefore, porting both and comparing, while not totally objective because of human influence, is still a good and interesting test. And, if both saws are ported by the same builder, then even better!

A lot of people, including me, want to see how the 550 and 261 stack up. Here is a video of my ported 261 cutting through the exact same wood (red maple) as TK's video, but of a smaller diameter. Not a fair comparison of course, but still interesting...

Man, that 261 was straight up makin' it rain chips on the ground. Or maybe makin' it snow.

Man, that 261 was straight up makin' it rain chips on the ground. Or maybe makin' it snow.

Forgot to mention, Brad gets 100% credit for that saw. It walks all over my 361. Hopefully he can make his 550 run as strong or stronger so I can buy one of those too!

Forgot to mention, Brad gets 100% credit for that saw. It walks all over my 361. Hopefully he can make his 550 run as strong or stronger so I can buy one of those too!

lol, hopefully he can make my 362 run as strong as his 550, or this thread will make me embarrassed. Not really, i'm one of those guys that'd rather see improvement in THE herd instead of MY herd. That 550 is an ANIMAL.

I understand how fuel injection helps engines by being more able to precisely control fuel input based on running conditions, but I really feel like, with a 2-stroke, a carb is the way to go. There is time between the fuel injection and the combustion no matter how you cut it, so you can't have a direct-injection 2-stroke. My imagination tells me that a mechanical system would, therefore, be sufficient. This 550 tells me otherwise.

Give me a 40cc 550 and I'd buy it NOW.

I ran the 562 and it was not anywhere near as impressive for a 60cc saw as the 550 is for a 50cc. However, I should have worded that more clearly. I meant to say the new 50cc's are on the heels of the old 60cc saws. The new 60cc saws will be on the heels of the old 70cc saws and so on. We have a front row seat to watch this all unfold.

Nobody could have said it better and more to the point, the 10cc gap is being grabbed by the shoort and curlies with just a "c" hair of difference......

I have many saws and most all Husqvarna's at my disposal, the 562 is on the heels of my 372xpw, 555 blows the doors off my former 357....the times they are a changin......

I wish Stihl would come out and play, I grew up in a Stihl and Ford area, still driving a Ford (dont like the idea of a truck payment on a Chevy till i'm found on road dead), but still have a place in my heart for Stihls, just anchored my boat with a 029 yesterday.

lol, hopefully he can make my 362 run as strong as his 550, or this thread will make me embarrassed.
Have no fears. It will begin coming out of it's cacoon tomorrow evening:clap:

Give me a 40cc 550 and I'd buy it NOW.
It's called a 543XP. I seriously hope this saw makes it to the US. I'm more interested in it than I am the 550XP.

..... we have a 10# 50cc saw with as much or more power than any 12-13# 60cc saw. I've been on the fence about the one saw question for some time, I now see no reason for a 60cc saw whatsoever. ......

The 550xp is close to 11 lbs, and the MS362 about 13.2 lbs - both the MS361 and the 560xp are about 12.3 lbs, while the 562 is about 12.8 (same as the venerable 262xp).

Back