550XP vs MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 550 is awesome. Is it really more powerful than a modern 60cc saw? Of course not. Would it give it a run for its money in that size wood? It just did, and beat it. This was more of a demonstration than a "test" with certain advantages going to the 550. We were on a very tight time schedule so a more "fair" comparison could not happen. That being said, this saw is breaking new ground. With this technology and performance it's quickly closing the 10cc gap. Soon enough, the ultimate one saw plan won't be a 60cc, it'll be a 50 cc saw. It's not quite there just yet, but soon. All the neighsayers can gripe, kick, scream and whine all they want, but this is the beginning of the end for the old technology The 550 is the new darling and it should be, it's got everything going for it.

I suspect the gap will be maintained by the 560xp/562xp! :D

Well,
It's not that big of a stretch if you think about it... If you put in motorcycle terms, the current 600cc class race bikes are putting out more power now than the liter-class superbikes were about 7 years ago. For ease of use and efficiency, you can't beat the newer equipment. That said, I still love the grunt of my Grandfather's old McCulloch 35, but I sure don't want to cut with it every day.:bowdown: The Yamaha V-Max also comes to mind...

I suspect the gap will be maintained by the 560xp/562xp! :D

I ran the 562 and it was not anywhere near as impressive for a 60cc saw as the 550 is for a 50cc. However, I should have worded that more clearly. I meant to say the new 50cc's are on the heels of the old 60cc saws. The new 60cc saws will be on the heels of the old 70cc saws and so on. We have a front row seat to watch this all unfold.

I ran the 562 and it was not anywhere near as impressive for a 60cc saw as the 550 is for a 50cc. However, I should have worded that more clearly. I meant to say the new 50cc's are on the heels of the old 60cc saws. The new 60cc saws will be on the heels of the old 70cc saws and so on. We have a front row seat to watch this all unfold.

I heard reports of a weak 562 that made it to a gtg or two. The two we had at our last gtg were said to be stronger than that one. Be interesting to see how the 562 feels when it's broken in, mine's not even close yet. :msp_sneaky:

I heard reports of a weak 562 that made it to a gtg or two. The two we had at our last gtg were said to be stronger than that one. Be interesting to see how the 562 feels when it's broken in, mine's not even close yet. :msp_sneaky:

I wouldn't even suggest it was weak, it just didn't have the same "anger" the 550 did. It was smooth as could be though, that's for sure, and smoothness can sometimes be mistaken for less than stellar cutting.

I have "heard" about that one as well, and it is a pity if anyone "write off" that model, based on that single saw. :msp_scared:

I've only got 5 tanks through my 562. Can't wait for biting insects to die off so I can get after it! Russ

I wouldn't even suggest it was weak, it just didn't have the same "anger" the 550 did. It was smooth as could be though, that's for sure, and smoothness can sometimes be mistaken for less than stellar cutting.

Weak may not have been the best choice of word. Unimpressed seems to be what I remember. Either way, it was not the best example of the breed. :msp_smile:

A man with a back injury for one!

I can see that. The tendinitis in my right elbow tells me to grab the lightest saw that will get the job done. That being said time in the cut matters too. If keeping weight off of the back is a concern then maybe an MS200 with an 18" bar is the choice for 20" wood. I just know that in the shop the 362 felt like a brick. The 550 is insane light for the power it makes. For me that power is best used limbing, not bucking.

the 550 is awesome. Is it really more powerful than a modern 60cc saw? Of course not. Would it give it a run for its money in that size wood? It just did, and beat it. This was more of a demonstration than a "test" with certain advantages going to the 550. We were on a very tight time schedule so a more "fair" comparison could not happen. That being said, this saw is breaking new ground. With this technology and performance it's quickly closing the 10cc gap. Soon enough, the ultimate one saw plan won't be a 60cc, it'll be a 50 cc saw. It's not quite there just yet, but soon. All the neighsayers can gripe, kick, scream and whine all they want, but this is the beginning of the end for the old technology The 550 is the new darling and it should be, it's got everything going for it.

IMHO, the need for a 60cc saw died with the 346, 5100, and 261. Especially once modded, I have absolutely no use for a 60cc saw. The 550 simply ups that ante, running almost like a ported saw with only a MM. I would take a ported 346 or 261 ANY day of the week over ANY ported 60cc saw out there. If I need more saw, I want more than a 60cc saw has to offer. That's why a 50cc/70cc saw is such an awesome combination.

A ported 346 or 261 will handle that task with ease. I don't think this 550 would complain as is. Only time will tell if they left much on the table for us porters.

I know it will handle it, but there is a point when a saw goes over center on load. The point was driven home last weekend cutting the Hickory. Once into the trunk wood I knew it was time for more saw. The 660 blew through the main stem in a way that no 50cc saw can match. The thing of it is the 660 would have kicked my hind end limbing the top. I guess I'm spoiled from my time running the tree service. I always had every saw at my disposal. I still want it that way.

IMHO, the need for a 60cc saw died with the 346, 5100, and 261. Especially once modded, I have absolutely no use for a 60cc saw. The 550 simply ups that ante, running almost like a ported saw with only a MM. I would take a ported 346 or 261 ANY day of the week over ANY ported 60cc saw out there. If I need more saw, I want more than a 60cc saw has to offer. That's why a 50cc/70cc saw is such an awesome combination.

Same way I feel about the 70cc saw. To each their own.

Back