Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Catch up recap, went for a nice walk by the Hudson with my older daughter, God how I love having her home. My team lost their first game yesterday, couldn’t figure out this guys change up, made us look foolish (but we lost by the smallest margin so far of all the teams they faced). And took the Marine from work shooting at lunch today, no surprise, he is a great shot. IMG_7146.jpegIMG_1417.jpegIMG_7149.jpeg

Catch up recap, went for a nice walk by the Hudson with my older daughter, God how I love having her home. My team lost their first game yesterday, couldn’t figure out this guys change up, made us look foolish (but we lost by the smallest margin so far of all the teams they faced). And took the Marine from work shooting at lunch today, no surprise, he is a great shot. View attachment 1177379View attachment 1177376View attachment 1177377
So how does your co-worker like shooting civilian utility guns?

G'day fellers,

I went out to Will's this arvo armed with a plan to dismantle the big ugly twisted peppermint from last week, only to find that Will had burned it. Some of the rounds I cut off it had come to grief as well.

20240515_103753.jpg

Oh well, next log.

20240515_104027.jpg

Broad leaf peppermint this time. A bit of Limby action today, generally pretty easy cutting.

20240515_110603.jpg

20240515_110635.jpg

The rounds were very easy splitting, one decent hit would halve them.

20240515_114634.jpg

Before I left I cut a number more rounds. I don't have a lot of time tomorrow but I hope to be able to duck out there and pick these up. All solid until the last round I cut that had a hole in it. Looking up the log's butt, I can see that the hole is going to get a lot bigger as I go from here :rare2:

20240515_123654.jpg

20240515_123716.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

Keeping the wife happy one project at a time. Yes I am such an antique fanatic that we daily use a 1956 GE Range.

View attachment 1177231 View attachment 1177232
I believe it was just 2 years ago that we removed our 1976 harvest gold GE Range. It ate quite a few burners and oven elements over the years.

Haven't been out playing in the woods for many weeks now. I've been too busy doing other things around the house/farm that need to be done. I had two leaking front tires on my JD mower. I took the tires off, bead blasted the rims and painted them. I put a light coating of silicone on the tire beads before airing them up. I hope that stops the air leaks.

Yesterday I dug out my Brinly tow behind fertilizer spreader to fertilize the lawn. I think it has been 15 years since I used it last. The tires were flat and the beads collapsed. Ether and my propane torch fixed that problem quickly.

I fired up the snowblowers and moved them out of the way.

Tore down a Husqvarna GT2548 mower and sold it for parts.

I installed two new pillow block bearings on the intermediate shaft on the stump grinder. I have two more rollers on the sliding carriage to free up. They won't take grease. Those are not easy to get to. Hopefully that will go up for sale in a week or two after I run it to make sure that there are no issues with it.

Time to move a few more saws out of my garage. I can't use them all and don't need them. It's time to thin the herd.

Keeping the wife happy one project at a time. Yes I am such an antique fanatic that we daily use a 1956 GE Range.

View attachment 1177231 View attachment 1177232
Nice! I had one in kollege. Deep well cooker too? I still miss that old stove sometimes. GE sold that clock/timer as a separate unit too. I have one somewhere. I found some of the new surplus innards for the clock/timer years ago. They are useful for timers for other things.

Got the lawn tractor out yesterday started right up cut a few swipes filled it up and went inside. Go out about 2 hours later it won’t turn over. Battery was still good . The damn thing was hydro locked fuel tank was half empty and the crankcase was over full . Pulled the plug and gas poured out the plug hole . So I need to pull the carb and change the oil. Weird it started right up and ran well for about 20 minutes .

Left work a but early yesterday and finished getting the roof and rafters down in the wood shed. Sadly some sort of bug had taken up residence in quite a few of the pine and Poplar rafters. Few of the oak ones I had to cut back to good wood too. I'm there are a few walnut or hickory as well, that were un touched by whatever bugs got into the other ones. I'm partially glad I took it down as I doubt it would have taken any heavy snow with how some of them fell apart when they hit the ground. Onto plan b or c or whatever I'm up to. Called my logging buddy. He's gonna check and see what for smaller logs he's got in the yard, then Saturday morning we're gonna take it to his buddies mill and turn it into a beam. Either white oak or if by chance he has a nice stick of locust. Either one will be steing enough to span the 15 foot open section of the lean to. I have enough good timber here to make the shorter sections work for the room side header, since it's going to have supports every 5 feet. I may even just go and get 2x10' and sister 2 of them together for a header and save the good oak etc for the interior. I love the way old rough cut lumber looks. So minor set back, but on the bright side I have plenty of tin to use for the lean to side wall of the shop from the roof. The phone poles out of the center are long enough, and big enough to handle the 15 foot span and take a sizable timber. I'm, also, glad they are in very good shape. Not rotten or bug infested at all. Thinking about treating them with something before I sink them in the ground again. 🤔 not sure what though. All in all making progress. I'll stop and grab some more concrete for the rest of the sona tube pillars and grab some pressure treated lumber to get the going with the rest of the lean to.

Nice! I had one in kollege. Deep well cooker too? I still miss that old stove sometimes. GE sold that clock/timer as a separate unit too. I have one somewhere. I found some of the new surplus innards for the clock/timer years ago. They are useful for timers for other things.
IT has the provision for the deep well cooker/deep fryer but there is a fat chance of ever finding one. I am going to convert that spot over to the larger burner because only having one is kind of inconvenient if I am cooking something in the skillet and need to boil a pot of water at the same time.

I could use some parts for the timer/clock. I can hear the motor running but nothing moves. If you ever find them and want to part ways I would be interested.

Got the lawn tractor out yesterday started right up cut a few swipes filled it up and went inside. Go out about 2 hours later it won’t turn over. Battery was still good . The damn thing was hydro locked fuel tank was half empty and the crankcase was over full . Pulled the plug and gas poured out the plug hole . So I need to pull the carb and change the oil. Weird it started right up and ran well for about 20 minutes .
Probably got some trash under the needle/seat. My old '93 Lowes started surging intermittently after the first mow, pulled the top off of the carb and there was some fine debris that would try to pull through the fuel passages but fall back out after I would turn it off making the surging random and unpredictable.

Agood cleaning will probably get you on your way if you're careful not to tear the gaskets

It's definitely that time of year for carb problems. I have 2 mowers here I need to clean the carbs out on and my neighbor asked my why his generator is hard to start and surges so bad. I'm sure I'll have more people dropping stuff off as the weather get nicer too. Never ends. If half the people fix equipment for would listen and run canned fuel at the end of the year, or dump the tank and run the stuff dry I wouldn't have any side work.

Catch up recap, went for a nice walk by the Hudson with my older daughter, God how I love having her home. My team lost their first game yesterday, couldn’t figure out this guys change up, made us look foolish (but we lost by the smallest margin so far of all the teams they faced). And took the Marine from work shooting at lunch today, no surprise, he is a great shot. View attachment 1177379View attachment 1177376View attachment 1177377
Love that pic of you and your girl!!! That's the good stuff!

Latest posts

Back