550XP vs MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, I was not rooting for either saw although I've been thinking about the 550 being the next on the list for me...but the chain on the 550 looked to be more agressive on the husky the way it kept trying to pull the saw in closer to the wood.

I'm not trying to start a war or give a beating to anybody so don't be trying to give me one either lol.

BTW nice vids Brad:)

The chain on the Husky was probably a little better, but the one on the Stihl wasn't bad. This vid isn't the be all end all comparison of these two saws, but gives a good idea of just how strong the little 550 is. It was just a quick spur of the moment idea Andre had, while he and Nik were here for a few minutes this evening. I believe the 550 would also benefit from a 3/8 chain.

The chain on the Husky was probably a little better, but the one on the Stihl wasn't bad. This vid isn't the be all end all comparison of these two saws, but gives a good idea of just how strong the little 550 is. It was just a quick spur of the moment idea Andre had, while he and Nik were here for a few minutes this evening. I believe the 550 would also benefit from a 3/8 chain.

I watched your other video of the 550 problems, what did the problem end up being?

These are really nice saws. What I noticed is the AT manages the torque really well across a wide band. Even at the start of a cut without bringing the chain speed up first, the saw just digs in and cuts while the rpms climb at the same time. Nice.

What I still find myself doing is looking the saw over briefly, especially the badge 550 and wondering where does all this torque come from in such a small, nimble, likeable package.

Thanks for the vids!

Thanks a lot for the vids, Brad!

I was content with my two 346s', but now I want a 550. :msp_sneaky:

Now we're talkin'! After running a tank through mine helping my brother cut a fallen Hickory in his back yard I'm even more impressed with the saw. The ole Hick was plenty hard, having seen the first World War. The 550 had the top whittled out of it in no time. It's hard to run a tank through the 550, it uses so little fuel. Although I know it would have handled it, I was tired so I broke out the 660 for the 20" trunk wood.

I handled my first 550XP yesterday and the local swedish crack dealer, it felt amazingly small and nimble. Priced it at $579 though. :censored:

550XP = 9.84
MS361 = 10.02

I took the best cuts of each saw.

[video=youtube_share;TqWehQMEq-A]http://youtu.be/TqWehQMEq-A[/video]

Well I don't know what to say. Yes the chain on the 362 wasn't the greatest, but as Mike would say, my word that saw is strong!! in fact I'm not sure if a ported 346 could outrun it. I think the 550 may be a true game changer, time will tell. For now :msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Crap!

Just got the 346xp spiffed up a little, and to where I figure it will hold even to a buds MM 361, and now this thing shows up.

Waiting on the post ported impressions and a 362 Comparo.

Should be fun either way!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It might be a little better comparison if both saws had the same size b/c. i think the results would be different as well.

Back