56" mill, single 880 vs dual 661's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberwerks

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm looking for feedback on a new 56" setup. A number of years ago I was running a 56" mill with an 880, and it worked out pretty well. That set up was sold about 5 years ago and I stopped milling. Anyway, I'm looking to get back into milling again and thinking about going with a dual 661 rig this time. Reason being I already have a new 661. I know it doesn't have the power alone for a 56" mill so my thought is to get another 661 vs an 880 and run two power heads.

Does this sound like a good idea? I know this rig wouldn't cut faster but I think it would offer more power vs the single 880. Am I wrong? Also, I like the idea of having two oil pumps vs a gravity drip oiler.

Thanks

A I don’t have any experience with this, I’m only giving my opinion. I have the same question myself, been thinking of getting a bigger saw, I currently use a 395xp. My budget is tight but could might swing a used 395 instead.

I think your theory is sound. Not faster cutting but seems as you would have more power, more oil, your going to be cutting slowly anyway I’m guessing, so doesn’t seem like a big deal. Having another person assist with pushing through the cut would be helpful in big cuts. Hope this helps you out a little, at least that someone else is thinking about pursuing the same set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back