560 XP toast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously I can't diagnose the saw from my desk, but I will ask a few questions. Did you do anything to the cylinder before you took the pics? was the air filter clean? how old was the fuel?

I already asked about that + the spark screen, but no answer so far. :givebeer:

I like a really nice Porter. This one is my all time fvorite from a local brewery.

MMMM!! is it beer thirty yet?
Would that be a brother to the Edmund Fitzgerald that sits by my left hand as I type? BTW I got no clue what happened to that 560,saw that is,my 560 Farmall though needs a head gasket.....again.

I guess that a badly clogged spark screen ("helped" by the overly oil rich fuel mix) could be a contributing factor - specially in combination with a dull chain.

But this is just one of several possibilities......

I am not a mechanical ace but wouldn't a clogged muffler screen reduce air flow, reducing oxygen, which would ordinarily reduce heat and clean ignition and eventually smother your ignition when totally plugged.
Good 2 cycle oil will burn reasonably clean with no problems at 32 to 1 for several hundred hours or more if everything else is in fine tune or I would of burned up many saws and a few to several dirt bikes and a trimmer I've been using about 15 years bought used.
How about a loose muffler or bad gasket ? When your leaking exhaust in front of the muffler the heat escaping surrounds the cylinder and also increases air flow causing a lean burning.

I daily go over the whole saw sharpen the chain ,do a bolt check always clean fuel . I didnt do anything to the cylinder ,fuel was not old maybe a couple of days tops, air filter cleaned before every use ...There is a lot of carbon you can see in one of the pics where it has come away could this have done the damage ??

There used to be a time one could have a quite sincere technical discussion about a saw problem and learn from it. Now all you get is biased opinions and non related stuff, which makes reading these threads nothing but a waste of time :(

I guess I must be getting old:rant:

I daily go over the whole saw sharpen the chain ,do a bolt check always clean fuel . I didnt do anything to the cylinder ,fuel was not old maybe a couple of days tops, air filter cleaned before every use ...There is a lot of carbon you can see in one of the pics where it has come away could this have done the damage ??

So you didn't do anything to the cylinder, you just removed it and took pics. In that case it looks like it was straight gassed IMHO. The cylinder and piston look dry.

Sorry to sound like im never wrong but it hasnt my dad has run the same mix as me in his 372 and his 200 t and there both perfect it all back together now so im gona bring it to the dealer.

Just a thought... is it possible that AutoTune leaned out the carb too much due to the 32:1 mix? Seems like a lot of oil for a modern saw that can't be manually tuned to compensate for it.

That has been known to happen.

As I said before, I am sceptical to your 32:1 mix - what mix oil are you using?

How about the spark screen - have you removed it, or at least kept it clean?

Just a thought... is it possible that AutoTune leaned out the carb too much due to the 32:1 mix? Seems like a lot of oil for a modern saw that can't be manually tuned to compensate for it.

It is a lot of oil, but I assume the AT will compensate (at least that is what I was told, when I once suggested basically the same as you did now).

Would that be a brother to the Edmund Fitzgerald that sits by my left hand as I type? BTW I got no clue what happened to that 560,saw that is,my 560 Farmall though needs a head gasket.....again.

No, my favorite is the dortmunder gold from Great Lakes. This was from a small local microbrewery. The growler is beside the glass.

Phantom air leaks can hit you at any time. I just fixed one or several on my Echo CS-400. The darn thing was idling super fast like the throttle was stuck open. Adjusting the screws had no effect whatsoever. Bit by bit I removed the air filter, carb, and all the intake stuff carefully inspecting as I went. Nothing loose and all gaskets, mating surfaces, and parts looked perfect. I carefully reassembled, adding a bit of sticky Permatex gasket sealer to the gaskets. Presto, problem solved and I have no idea what it was. The saw runs perfectly now.

I'm not down with beer lingo but for me the darker, soupier, unpasteurized, rotten fermented sileage a beer is the more I like it!

OK...my 2¢ worth...running the saw with a 32:1 oil ratio means the saw is getting less gas...

So it's running 'lean'..as in Waay too lean and the AutoTune just couldn't correct the Waay to lean condition...

Sooo...1 scored piston!! - I just don't understand why soo much oil in the fuel..??

I run Amsoil Saber at 50:1..and Stihl orange dino at ~ 40 or 45:1 - - I've never scored a piston in my long life..!!

I just don't understand why anyone would run 32:1 mix in a 'modern' saw..??

Or run 100:1 Amsoil - There is Nothing on the Amsoil label that Recommends 100:1...just that it Could be run at 100:1
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
OK...my 2¢ worth...running the saw with a 32:1 oil ratio means the saw is getting less gas...

So it's running 'lean'..as in Waay too lean and the AutoTune just couldn't correct the Waay to lean condition...

Sooo...1 scored piston!! .....

As I said above, I believe the AT will compensate for that - but I am not 100% sure.

As I said above, I believe the AT will compensate for that - but I am not 100% sure.
I don't have a clue..as I know of nobody that has a Husky AT saw or a Stihl M-Tronic saw..

I only have one (1) Husky dealer in my area...and...he's also the largest Stihl dealer in the area

I'm just thinking that these 'auto-tune' systems "may" have their limits on adjustments they can correct for..??
:cheers: - :givebeer:
J2F

Sooo...1 scored piston!! - I just don't understand why soo much oil in the fuel..??

I run Amsoil Saber at 50:1..and Stihl orange dino at ~ 40 or 45:1 - - I've never scored a piston in my long life..!!

I just don't understand why anyone would run 32:1 mix in a 'modern' saw..??

Or run 100:1 Amsoil - There is Nothing on the Amsoil label that Recommends 100:1...just that it Could be run at 100:1
:cheers:
J2F

That makes no sense to me. My understanding of AT/M-Tronic is it makes near instantaneous adjustments to A/F ratio to optimize tune, ie combustion. That would seem to indicate that AT/M-Tronic could care less how much (more) oil was present. It's the rpm that determines "correct" as far as the 'puter is concerned, so all the increased proportion of oil would do in increase lubrication, at least the way I'm thinking... :msp_confused:

That makes no sense to me. My understanding of AT/M-Tronic is it makes near instantaneous adjustments to A/F ratio to optimize tune, ie combustion. That would seem to indicate that AT/M-Tronic could care less how much (more) oil was present. It's the rpm that determines "correct" as far as the 'puter is concerned, so all the increased proportion of oil would do in increase lubrication, at least the way I'm thinking... :msp_confused:
They have no way of knowing the mix, but the only way to increase RPM in the cut is to lean it out, right? Combine that with an already lean mix at 32:1 plus the fact that there have to be physical limits to what AT can do... seems plausible to me at least. Agaion, I'm just guessing here as I don't know anything about the inner workings of AutoTune.

Latest posts

Back