562xp in the shop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DexterDay

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know of a 562xp that went into the dealer.

Start saw as usual, choke, etc, starts.... Idles..... Then spits out as soon as you touch throttle. Every time. 100 times in a row.

Saw sent to dealer. Dealer changes the computer, coil, and about 3 other things.

Fast forward 2 Months!!! Yes. 2 months. Go back to check on saw. Tech says it doing the same thing.

So they look elsewhere and low and behold its an air leak (seal). But when they pull seal, the bearing is about torn open (likely what tore seal?).

Has anyone heard of this? Any bulletins on bottom seals or bearings?

Any insight is appreciated.

Early 562's had seal/bearing problems on the pto side. I had two saws grenade, got them replaced under warranty and have a ton of time on them with no major issues. Fun little saws. I also don't understand the "torn bearing" comment?

What is a torn open bearing?

I also don't understand the "torn bearing" comment?

Newbs :laugh:

Just messin with yall.. I'd like to see what the bearings look like. I'm willing to bet the saw tech relayed the info the man at the back counter who called the customer/OP's friend. Somehow, somewhere the exact description of what happened to the bearing got jumbled up :cheers:

What is a torn open bearing?

Sorry. Had a drink or two.

The bearing tore open. The balls from said bearing were in crankcase. Saw was returned yesterday.

They ended up changing the entire piston, cyl, bearings, and seals. Along with all the other auto tune equipment.

Dealer made a pretty solid move (or maybe Husq) and covered everything. Saw left the shop uncharged for all the work.

Thanks for the link to the bulletins.

After 90 days, I can go back and get the parts (cyl, piston, bearings, etc). The tech said they have to keep them for 90 days. That way Husq could take them back and inspect them.

But if they don't take them, then I will post pics of bearings and seals. The seal on the 562 is connected to the bearing. He showed me one yesterday and its a funny looking booger. It's a slick idea, but dont know how much I like it.

Thats awesome. Sounds like it would have been cheaper for them to give you a fresh one off the shelf. You got a new saw!

Sounds like pretty shoddy diagnostic work to me. Saw won't run so you change out carb, solenoid, and coil? 10 minutes of compression, vacuum, and leak down would have told them everything they needed to know.

Yeah. Farm and Home.

There mechanic is a cool cat. I love the store. It just took forever to get the saw back. They diagnosed the saw based on what one of the bulletins were (coil, computer, etc).

Took over a month to get the 1st round done. Once all the electronics were replaced, they started it and it did the same thing. Thats when he did the pressure test. Huge leak on the clutch side seal.

They did great work. No complaints on the work. There mechanic and me have B.S.'d quite a bit.

As for the store itself. Its where I go for everything. I know everyone there and they all know me and my family. Couldn't ask for better service or better people.

The time was the only concern. But, in the end, it was done and done right. I was just wondering if there were any early problems with bearings and/or seals. And the bulletin posted above gave me that info.

Yeah. Farm and Home.

There mechanic is a cool cat. I love the store. It just took forever to get the saw back. They diagnosed the saw based on what one of the bulletins were (coil, computer, etc).

Took over a month to get the 1st round done. Once all the electronics were replaced, they started it and it did the same thing. Thats when he did the pressure test. Huge leak on the clutch side seal.

They did great work. No complaints on the work. There mechanic and me have B.S.'d quite a bit.

As for the store itself. Its where I go for everything. I know everyone there and they all know me and my family. Couldn't ask for better service or better people.

The time was the only concern. But, in the end, it was done and done right. I was just wondering if there were any early problems with bearings and/or seals. And the bulletin posted above gave me that info.

You were very fortunate to have Steve be your guy under the circumstances. Coincidentally, I just came from there and always check in with him whenever I'm down there 'cause he knows I'm into saws and has tucked a few "junkers" away for me that they only have some shop time into, sold the owner a new one, and would otherwise just toss.

Anyway, I pop in to say "Hi" and ask if he's got anything I may be interested in. He says, "nope", "but I gotta tell ya about this damned 562XP fiasco I just went through."

Bottom line, it was his first M-tronic in for service and he went the Husky support route vs. following his instincts, which would have obviously located the leak right away...and not gotten your saw back totally rebuilt essentially for free due to warranty expiration. Was referred to a completely different service bulletin by less than competent support at Husky for the solution which precipitated all the unnecessary work and contributed to the length of time it took to get things resolved properly. Knew something still wasn't right and finally ended up with the right Husky support to get it all done right...and to the customer's satisfaction...and under warranty.

Good dude. Good wrench. Does mostly 4-stroke work, but can find his way around anything given the right info and resources. Also now has the software/firmware setup to t-shoot the otherwise more M-tronic related problems associated with those saws.

Yep. Good folks down there all the way around and Steve went to bat for ya on this one.

And it sounds like you're not that far away from me. If ya ever need anything or jes wanna drink some beer with a total stranger, gimme a holler.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Yeah. Me and him talked during the entire ordeal. Had he followed his "Gut" and treated this like any other 2 stroke (non auto tune). He would have pressure tested 1st and I would have had to pay copious amounts for repair, because the saw was out of warranty. But, because they got a authorization to do the Auto tune repair bulletin, they ended up giving him another authorization to do the bearings and top end. Steve and Bob at Farm and Home are Top Notch!☆★

Your the guy that got the "Big Stihl" then? I asked if he had any saws and Steve said that there was a guy who stops in every now and then and buys them up. Just got a Big Stihl that was lying there.

He has an older Husq in the corner. It having 2 coils and being older, I wasn't interested. Plus, he still had to talk to the owner and see if he was picking it up or scrapping it.

Im in Sullivan. Just an FYI. Ohio Andy is just South of me by Fin Feather Fur. I like to have a few, then a few more. If your ever in the area.

Sounds like pretty shoddy diagnostic work to me. Saw won't run so you change out carb, solenoid, and coil? 10 minutes of compression, vacuum, and leak down would have told them everything they needed to know.

You just change parts and guess at everything for a few months, then when you actually find the problem make up some lame excuse. Then proceed to slap more new parts into it and yet again fail to vac/pressure test your rebuild.

Very shoddy diagnostic work. Perhaps he should stick to four strokes.

Yeah. Me and him talked during the entire ordeal. Had he followed his "Gut" and treated this like any other 2 stroke (non auto tune). He would have pressure tested 1st and I would have had to pay copious amounts for repair, because the saw was out of warranty. But, because they got a authorization to do the Auto tune repair bulletin, they ended up giving him another authorization to do the bearings and top end. Steve and Bob at Farm and Home are Top Notch!☆★

Your the guy that got the "Big Stihl" then? I asked if he had any saws and Steve said that there was a guy who stops in every now and then and buys them up. Just got a Big Stihl that was lying there.

He has an older Husq in the corner. It having 2 coils and being older, I wasn't interested. Plus, he still had to talk to the owner and see if he was picking it up or scrapping it.

Im in Sullivan. Just an FYI. Ohio Andy is just South of me by Fin Feather Fur. I like to have a few, then a few more. If your ever in the area.

Yer makin' me thirsty!

And I'll take that type of service any day over a hasty tech who just wants to move units along. And yeah, I got "the big Stihl". 056AV needing the ignition fixed. I've picked up a few others, but they're usually pretty straight up with customers about what trade-in value is worth vs. takin' it back home to the garage sale or puttin' it on CL instead. Usually slim pickins when I drop by, but I've been lucky a few times.

And trust me. I'm "in the area" a lot just tryin' to sneak past you guys on the local CL action! Plus, need my Mac's jerky fix tightened up every coupla weeks, so mebbe we can hook up one of these days. Also do a Fin trip now and again and gotta do a Grandpa's run every so often as well. Hell, I remember when it was Yarmans in West Salem, so sorta know the back roads down your way...and I'm givin my age away!:msp_biggrin:

Hope the saw works out for ya. I'd like to run it sometime. I'm up by Kipton just off of 511, it's 20 minutes to you and maybe 35 to Ohio Andy. His last name wouldn't be Bailey by chance, would it? I may actually already know him through a mutual friend.

:cheers:

You just change parts and guess at everything for a few months, then when you actually find the problem make up some lame excuse. Then proceed to slap more new parts into it and yet again fail to vac/pressure test your rebuild.

Very shoddy diagnostic work. Perhaps he should stick to four strokes.

Perhaps you should find a different thread to piss on since you obviously prefer ignoring the details in this one to just rock the boat here.

As mentioned, it was his first M-tronic and he didn't want to jump to the wrong conclusions so consulted Husky directly. Husky told him to throw the parts at it. He went the distance for the customer given his limited experience with the M-tronic. Most responsible techs would do the same thing if they were in uncharted waters. He is also the main tech who handles the bulk of all their lines for repairs and can get pretty swamped during seasonal peaks. But he'll still put in 60~70 hrs. a week to get units fixed and out the door on a reasonably prioritized basis as most responsible shops would do.

He did the right thing under the circumstances IMHO and the customer ends up happy.

But you don't like it.

Go away.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should find a different thread to piss on since you obviously prefer ignoring the details in this one to just rock the boat here.

As mentioned, it was his first M-tronic and he didn't want to jump to the wrong conclusions so consulted Husky directly. Husky told him to throw the parts at it. He went the distance for the customer given his limited experience with the M-tronic. Most responsible techs would do the same thing if they were in uncharted waters. He is also the main tech who handles the bulk of all their lines for repairs and can get pretty swamped during seasonal peaks. But he'll still put in 60~70 hrs. a week to get units fixed and out the door on a reasonably prioritized basis as most responsible shops would do.

He did the right thing under the circumstances IMHO and the customer ends up happy.

But you don't like it.

Go away.

Not here to rock the boat, nor pissing on this thread, just agreeing with a post made by another member.

An AT or MT chainsaw is still a chainsaw, 99% of diagnosis still applies, the Gen 2 AT system is very easy to diagnose, its a simple software update if needed then a go or no go situation, everything else reverts back to chainsaw 101.

Two months in the shop for a current production model, is completely un-acceptable.

As is working on Gen 2 AT saws without a reader. If the tech had the reader to begin with the original AT module, carb, and coil would still be on the saw.

If the tech had the reader to begin with the original AT module, carb, and coil would still be on the saw.

And he woulda figured out the seal problem in 10 minutes like he will the next one...as was inferred earlier due to not having the tester or software at his disposal.

Again, you missed a detail or two in assessing all this before you jumped right in with your attitude, not the least of which is the guy
you are criticizing happens to be a friend of both myself and the OP. And he got the job done under warranty due to inaccurate info from Husky to begin with.

Stay in your lane or stay off the road.

Last edited:
And he woulda figured out the seal problem in 10 minutes like he will the next one...as was inferred earlier due to not having the tester or software at his disposal.

Again, you missed a detail or two in assessing all this before you jumped right in with your attitude, not the least of which is the guy
you are criticizing happens to be a friend of both myself and the OP. And he got the job done under warranty due to inaccurate info from Husky to begin with.

Stay in your lane or stay off the road.

I am well within my lane, as a tech representing the brand in question. I had the reader in my tool-box months before I had a saw it could be hooked up to.

Its good he followed through and resolved the issue.

Enjoy your weekend, next time you see Steve let him know if he has any questions I will be glad to help him out.

I am well within my lane, as a tech representing the brand in question. I had the reader in my tool-box months before I had a saw it could be hooked up to.

Its good he followed through and resolved the issue.

Enjoy your weekend, next time you see Steve let him know if he has any questions I will be glad to help him out.

Where we live, no one buys Big saws. Im almost positive that I was the 1st to buy the 562 from them. And possibly the last?

I wasnt happy about the 2 months. But after knowing the outcome and making a new friend (Steve). I am quite happy with it... New everything. :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back