576 AT or 441 CM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point on the 044 and the 372, I guess I should say why aren't the current offerings in that range not as popular.

Is it do to the longevity/durability of previous generation as well as aftermarket support. Or on a similar note the wealth of knowledge on those saws of current technicians working on them. Or possibly even the price point of current pro grade saws in that class.

I guess my point is both saws mentioned seem to lack the popularity of the older production models at the same size. Even though they are offering weight savings and better fuel efficientcy. Not to mention better power in factory configurations. Now porting and other mods is a different animal. What the heck am I missing? I thought I was picking a saw size that made sense to me, but the models I'm looking at seem to be black sheep. Even though they are in a popular size as you mentioned.

Kiwi I have zero and I mean no Dolmar experience, I don't know anyone that's deals in them either. It might be a great offering, but Husqvarna will be hard for dealer support. Dolmar would be next to impossible.

After a quick dealer search I found some dealers but none are what i would consider reputable in the area.

Ok, so I have another question am I on the wrong track with thinking I need a 70 cc class saw. After this I'll be getting a 262cm, realistically it should probably be next. However I know if I don't splurge on a bigger saw next I'll likely just "get by" with a smaller saw wishing I had gotten a bigger one. But why are the 70 class saws so unpopular, or is it just the 2 I picked?

In no way are 70cc saws "unpopular" and in all honestly the two you chose might not be the most purchased saws in their respective lines, but they are in no way bad picks. Most would say that the appropriate firewood saw is a 50cc, they'd likely agree that if you are going to have one do-it-all saw then a 60cc saw would be the way to go. It doesn't sound like you are only going to have just one saw so it would be best to make your purchases support one another but not overlap either. It is very common to have a three saw lineup, something like a 1) top handle/in-tree/arborsit saw or 30-40cc rear handle for small limbing and pruning work, a 2) 50cc saw for firewood and heavy limbing or just general use, and then a 3) larger felling saw like a 70cc or larger class saw. This can also be done in a 40cc, 60cc, 80cc lineup as well.

The MS461 has been around a long while and is an extremely popular saw due to it's excellent power to weight ratio, it is nearly 77cc's and very powerful, anything larger for most is likely for use on extremely large trees or for milling. You said in your first post that you wanted Auto Tune or M-Tronic saws so don't let others sway your desires/wants, the MS461 is a standard carb model that is soon to be replaced. The best/newest saw in this class is the MS462, but it hasn't been released in the states and likely won't be for a long while seeing how only three countries currently have it and reports are that theres still bugs to be worked out. I am assuming that the 572XP will be similar?! I can't speak to the Husky lineup in terms of personal recommendations, but the 576XP AT is a direct competitor to the MS461 (No MT) in the mid 70cc class. The 562XP would be a MS362 direct comparison (both have AT/MT) in the 60cc class and the 372XP (No AT) would compete with the MS441 (has MT) in the 70cc class.

If you want to hold out for the two new mid 70cc saws from both manufacturers then I would recommend you get your smaller general use or firewood saw and get to work. Learn the ins and outs of the saw and it's systems and habits and become accustom to the ergos and features of that particular manufacturer and when the new larger saws debut you will be more than ready to take them on. If this is the route you take you should be looking at a 550XP or a MS261C, both of which are excellent 50cc saws. The newer 2nd Gen MS261C gives up nothing to the 550XP like in the past, toss a coin or pick your favorite dealer and go from there as I highly doubt you'll notice any appreciable difference between the two.

Best of luck in your search!

The big two brands have had too many issues with some of their new saw releases lately. Proceed with caution, me thinks.

Great response Tex, you're basically covering my plans to a T. I currently have a 241CM and absolutely love the little saw and it's doing a fine job getting me by for the time being. But my plan is just as you stated get into that next size up and the 70 class saws. I feel like that will cover my bases and if I decide one day to get a 60 great, but with those 3 sizes I'll have my bases covered.

I'm currently only probably 15 tanks through the 241 but feel like I know the saw pretty well. One of these days i need to get the muffler opened up and see if that changes much. Either way it is super light and and seems to have similar power to the 50cc range of the mid grade saws.

Kiwi I hear you on the new saw concerns, one thing I noticed on my searching prior to posting was all the problems the new saws were having to start. They get them worked out but it does seem the first two years the buyers are the Betta testers.

A lot of the reports/reviews on the M-Tronic saws having issues restarting are due in large part to improper use of the system. If you are running the saw even for just a few minutes, it is not necessary to repeat the M-Tronic choke process over again. There's already adequate fuel in the carb and one simply has to start it from the run position. I have always done this on all three of my M-Tronic saws and not once have I had trouble getting a hot saw to restart.

I will agree that it seems that the first gen of new AT/MT saws are sometimes the sort of sacrificial beta testers used to get real world feedback in order to smooth them out for the inevitable second gen versions.

Ok, so I have another question am I on the wrong track with thinking I need a 70 cc class saw. After this I'll be getting a 262cm, realistically it should probably be next. However I know if I don't splurge on a bigger saw next I'll likely just "get by" with a smaller saw wishing I had gotten a bigger one. But why are the 70 class saws so unpopular, or is it just the 2 I picked?

Don’t let the haters get to you. You’ll love the 441cm, especially if you get the “R”.

I love the tuned 441, most used saw in my 15 saw layout. Maby the 150 T had more running time tho..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is false, I just ordered a brand new MS441 R C-M from my Stihl dealer no more than a month ago and it came straight from the main US Distributor, it is also still listed on the Stihl USA website. I have never heard of the MS441 having a "funny" carb that needs cleaning more often than any other Stihl Pro saw, I find this hard to believe with the M-Tronic system, but maybe this is referencing the older carb version?!

To the OP, I went with Stihl on all of my Pro saws because I found them to be the better option based on design and feedback from professional users in my research, I see no issue with Husky and find them to be the best alternative. I would purchase based off of dealer availability in your area, either brand will serve you well.

I wanted to buy the new MS462 C-M, but it is not yet out here in the states and I wanted to stick with M-Tronic saws so I eliminated the MS461 from my consideration, enter the MS441. It is a little heavy in comparison to the MS461 which has more power and pretty much the same weight, but I took the M-Tronic advantage over the weight savings. I have R model (3/4 wrap handle) and it has a stiffer AV than the standard MS441, I find it to be an extremely smooth running saw and with the 28" bar it balances well. I have had it buried in a lot of different types of wood recently and it has yet to let me down, there's plenty of power on tap. I am pleased with my purchase and have no complaints to speak of.

MS441 was out of production for a while due to numerous issues & the many things mentioned are based on what’s been reported by end users.

Please search before posting such a rant.

So from what I'm reading and just a quick search both companies are releasing new saws in the range of what I'm looking for. As everyone mentioned. So it's looking like I'd be best to wait a little bit before jumping on getting anything. Something to add, I plan on running 24" bar with whatever i go with mostly because I'd prefer to have the little extra power over the bar length sense I won't need it more times than not. I'm thinking quicker cuts equals higher production, sound logic?

Between the new saws I still don't know what route to go, part of me leans towards Stihl do to so many local dealers. But Husk's marketing is kicking but on new saw information. Their right up is much better and gives a better outline of what you're getting with the new saw. Not the case with Stihl, it might be all marketing and gimmicks, but it's swaying me a bit.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

I encourage you to consider the MS461.

It’s a better Saw than both mentioned in your original post.

Both Manufacturers are bring out new saws to replace the 441 & 576 for a reason.

Once you set your carb, you won’t need to fiddle with it unless you change elevations, (think more than 600’,)or there is a drastic swing in temperature, (Think 40-50 degrees.)

Those aren’t exact #, but approximate.

The MTronics/ Autotunes don’t do well at high altitudes either.

MS461 if Stihl.

372 if Husqvarna.

Or wait on the new models with bugs to be worked out.

I've run 441's (have two now) and the 576's and the 572's now (572 for an hour maybe). You know what? They all are nice. I really like all three more than the X-torq 372's. Pick based on your dealer preference. I've built a 441c and a bunch of 576's. And the 576 is the last of the easy to work on saws in that class with Autotune BTW. And all the new generation Autotunes need dealer intervention to update firmware. The new 572 is really sweet. They focused on durability vs. bling and weight and it shows. Solves a lot of the issues that the 562's had during its evolution. Almost as if Husqvarna perfected the style on the 562 and the 572 is the product of that evolution.... I think is a slight change in design philosophy as well. Also the 572 has been through an extensive development program that started way back around 2011. It's a tool for someone who makes a living with a saw for certain...but they aren't going to be here until August. AND I'm certain the 576's will be around and will be supported for while, same as the 441's. Bottom line? 441 vs. 576...pick based on dealer and personal preference. If you have patience or can't make a decision...as some here hash for ever...by the time u decide the 572 will be out...:) Can't go wrong with any of those three.

MS441 was out of production for a while due to numerous issues & the many things mentioned are based on what’s been reported by end users.

Please search before posting such a rant.

For starters I was referencing the false info stating that the 441 was no longer in production, this is false, regardless of a lull in production at one point in time in the past, they are currently for sale in the US and listed as an active model on the US Stihl website. I ordered a wrap R model from my dealer and had it in hand in less than one business week.

In regards to my so called "rant", well I simply stated that I had never heard of such issues, nor do I see a single person stating such claims here in this thread which contains at least four or more current owners who have nothing bad to say about their saws. My one sentence claiming never to have heard of these "well known" issues hardly qualifies as a rant, so before you come at me with an attitude maybe you should go back and read my post before you start slinging mud.

For starters I was referencing the false info stating that the 441 was no longer in production, this is false, regardless of a lull in production at one point in time in the past, they are currently for sale in the US and listed as an active model on the US Stihl website. I ordered a wrap R model from my dealer and had it in hand in less than one business week.

In regards to my so called "rant", well I simply stated that I had never heard of such issues, nor do I see a single person stating such claims here in this thread which contains at least four or more current owners who have nothing bad to say about their saws. My one sentence claiming never to have heard of these "well known" issues hardly qualifies as a rant, so before you come at me with an attitude maybe you should go back and read my post before you start slinging mud.

I’m not “coming at you” or “slinging mud”: I will ask for you to calm down.

The 441 production was stopped because of issues.

I’m not debating your Saw, simply stating that the 461 is a more robust “better” saw.

Hopefully the 462 will be better.

I seen one in our saw shop not long ago think they re released some more ,they may have stopped agin not sure

I’m not “coming at you” or “slinging mud”: I will ask for you to calm down.

The 441 production was stopped because of issues.

I’m not debating your Saw, simply stating that the 461 is a more robust “better” saw.

Hopefully the 462 will be better.

Stating that someone has gone on a rant over one sentence is pretty silly. I find a ridiculous claim such as yours to be a tad aggressive in tone, therefor I responded in kind. You will ask me to calm down? I called out your rather baseless claim towards myself, nothing more, nothing less.

To the OP, I apologize that your thread has now been muddied up with non sense for no reason.

I encourage you to consider the MS461.

It’s a better Saw than both mentioned in your original post.

Both Manufacturers are bring out new saws to replace the 441 & 576 for a reason.

Once you set your carb, you won’t need to fiddle with it unless you change elevations, (think more than 600’,)or there is a drastic swing in temperature, (Think 40-50 degrees.)

Those aren’t exact #, but approximate.

The MTronics/ Autotunes don’t do well at high altitudes either.

MS461 if Stihl.

372 if Husqvarna.

Or wait on the new models with bugs to be worked out.

I have temp swings of 50° in 24-48 hours on a pretty regular occasion here in central Illinois. I'm getting snow and temps in low 20s tonight into the morning. Tuesday it will be in the 60s, altitude isn't a concern however. I don't see releasing a new saw as an indicator of that there is something wrong with an existing saw. More of an update on a line that is 7+ years old when talking about the 441.

Yes, it's the just the 2 you picked LOL. The Husqvarna 372xp and the Stihl 461 are both extremely popular. But like I said earlier, if you only want to run a 24" save your money and get a 60cc saw.

Latest posts

Back