60cc, to many options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foeke

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Dear happy tree friends,
I'm a enthusiastic homeowner, and help a friend user.
I'm cutting about 75 solid cubic meter (festmeter in German) a year I think. I see a lot of cords mentioned on this forum, but I have not got a clue how that translates to cubic meters or tonnes.
I'm now running a ms200t, a 353 and a 7910. Everything has it's purpose. The 353 is used the most. The upcomming winters we are going to cut up a lot of big swap trees. Poplar, Oak, Ahorn and the like.
The 7910 is just perfect for felling and bucking. The 353 on the otherhand is just to weak for cutting up the crown (30/40 cm branches).
So I am looking for something far more powerfull then the 353 but also nimbler than the 7910. Nimbleness is especially important if you have to manoeuvre through the branches.
Long story short, I'm looking for a 60cc class saw I think. Thing is, the saws I'm looking at are all in the same price class, only the best power to weight ratio ones seem to be a tad unreliable.
So there is the 555 and 6100 from which I read no complains, and the on paper better 550xp and 560/562xp who seem to have been coproduced by alfa romeo.
So now I'm wondering, are there any users who have a 555/6100 and a 560/562xp and can tell me if the difference is noticeable. Is the 6100 noticeable havier and is the 555 that much slower? Or are the 555 and 6100 just as unreliable. That would make the choice even more interesting.
Cheers, Foeke

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One mini 2 met Tapatalk

Servus foeke,

Du könntest natürlich deine Anfrage auch im forum.motorsaegen-portal.de stellen. Da würdest Antworten auf Deutsch bekommen. Dolmar & Husqvarna sind Topmarken und da besteht keinerlei Grund zur Sorge wegen der Qualität. Vereinfacht gesprochen bei hauptsächlich Polterholz 6100, bei hauptsächlich Fällen & Aufarbeiten Husqvarna 555. Von den Zwei würde ich die Dolmar 6100 wählen.

Chord of Wood => https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_(Raummaß)

1 Chord = 3,6 m2 => 75m2 : 3,6 => ~ 21 Chord of Wood ist eure jährliche Leistung.

g,

Du könntest natürlich deine Anfrage auch im forum.motorsaege-portal.de stellen. Da würdest Antworten auf Deutsch bekommen. Dolmar & Husqvarna sind Topmarken und da besteht keinerlei Grund zur Sorge wegen der Qualität. Vereinfacht gesprochen bei hauptsächlich Polterholz 6100, bei hauptsächlich Fällen & Afarbeiten Husqvarna 555. Von den Zwei würde ich die Dolmar 6100 wählen.

Nein, nein, nein.... 372 ja...

Feel is such a personal preference. The 555 feels a bit more compact. To me it is uncomfortable. The 6100 feels like you get better leverage and in more positions. The 6100 has a much broader PowerBand and more torque. For me the 6100 fits me better. For others the 555 is a wonderful saw. With having the 7910 the 555 may be a better fit with more of a gap.

I don't think that can be said for the newer 562's.
Ya it can. The newer ones are more reliable then the older ones but still have plenty of issues still with the 2016 saws.
Facts are facts. There are good 562's and then there are ones that always have problems that are near impossible to get worked out. If someone wants to take the risk great. If someone doesn't then it is best to be honest.

My dealer has had zero issues with 562's in the last few years. My personal 562's have been flawless.
But if I did have problems, at least I can find a dealer to order parts, which can't be said for Dolmar.
Then there is the fact that Dolmar is essentially a botique saw with very few out there in the hands of professionals. They really have no track record IMO.
I know that back when the 7900 first came out everyone was raving about them on this board. I bought one and fell timber with it full time. What I found was it was less reliable than a Husky or a Stihl and getting parts took way too long as Dolmars parts and dealer network was under stocked and very small. YMMV.

Thank you all. Dolmar dealer enough over here. Parts I order over the internet anyway. Far quicker than a dealer, since I need my saws around the same time everyone else is also in the woods and dealers are overworked.
@7 Thanks but I'm not really German (then I would be at the dealers and bought a Stihl LOL). I read the motorsaegen forum a lot. Only my written German just plain sucks. I tried to find someone who can do some modding over there. And the general awnser was, "why would you disagree with the producer?". @ bwalker. Do you mean worldwide? Or only in the US of A. I see a lot of Dolmars being used overhere. Not just by homers.

Thank you all. Dolmar dealer enough over here. Parts I order over the internet anyway. Far quicker than a dealer, since I need my saws around the same time everyone else is also in the woods and dealers are overworked.
@7 Thanks but I'm not really German (then I would be at the dealers and bought a Stihl LOL). I read the motorsaegen forum a lot. Only my written German just plain sucks. I tried to find someone who can do some modding over there. And the general awnser was, "why would you disagree with the producer?". @ bwalker. Do you mean worldwide? Or only in the US of A. I see a lot of Dolmars being used overhere. Not just by homers.

Just need to ask the right questions. You prefer english no problem! Modding no problem at all in Germany, there is a member on the german forum who has quite remarkable results and is in frequent contact with blsnelling and as far as I understood the two exchange "secrets"... :D If I wanted a modded saw, he would be the guy! I have followed his achievments for quite some time and his work is as good as you can get.

If you want a dolmar dealer I can point you to quite a few who are also forum dealers on the german site. When you contact them over the forum you usually get a special forum price discount compared to regular "store" prices. Further if you should have problems these guys take more than good care of you. Heck even one dolmar dealer looks from his store front directly at the dolmar plant in Hamburg!

Dolmars aren't in wide enough use to really form any reputation. Is that worth the risk?
This is what one would call limited view. Over here in the german speaking community dolmar is used quite frequently by pros and absolutely no sense at all to discus any reputation.

Let us quickly recolect updates on the two brands:
Husqvarna countless updates since the introduction 5 years ago! Modders as well as dealers are continueslly trying to avert problems with modifications. The newest trend cut big holes into the plastic to get them run well on hot summer days... :omg:
Dolmar 1 update on the intake as sometimes being a little "soft".

Latest posts

Back