61 Husky Sometimes Bogs/Dies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csdude

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a older 61 husky, and overall it works great, but lately sometimes while I'm cutting wood the saw will bog or start to die out. Blip the throttle and it may get better or the saw may shut off. You then may have too start it 6 or 8 time before it will finally pick up and run normally again, then 15 or 20 minutes later it happens again. Any ideas on what my trouble may be?

My first thought is it sounds like it is vapor locking? Next time you use it, when it dies, open the gas tank up and see if you hear a rush of air. Like opening a bottle of pop.

Saw did the same thing today, opened the gas cap and the tank was not under vacuum, must be something else.

:( Sorry that didn't help. You will have to get the attention of one of the chainsaw GODS on here. Someone on here will have the answer. I am in awww of the problems they have been able to diagnose with just a few symptoms.
Good luck

I have a older 61 husky, and overall it works great, but lately sometimes while I'm cutting wood the saw will bog or start to die out. Blip the throttle and it may get better or the saw may shut off. You then may have too start it 6 or 8 time before it will finally pick up and run normally again, then 15 or 20 minutes later it happens again. Any ideas on what my trouble may be?

How often do you use the saw? (and fuel)

When was the last time that you ran the saw?

Had the saw sat for a long time before it started acting up?

When was the last time that you changed the fuel filter?

When was the last time that you cleaned the air filter?

When was the last time you pulled your muffler and checked for obstructions?

When was the last time that you pulled the clutch and flywheel covers and cleaned out any built up sawdust?

The answers to these questions will help get your saw diagnosed (as much as it can be on the internet).

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I realize that not all questions posed are necessarily relevant to the stated issue, but I figured that the more info was provided to the experienced AS members, the better (and quicker) csdude's issue can be resolved.

:cheers:

Good luck and please post up the fix!

I think i might of found the problem. The insulation was broken and gone of the wire coming off the coil. I repaired this and tuned up the saw and it is now working great. Hopefully that was all it was!

I think i might of found the problem. The insulation was broken and gone of the wire coming off the coil. I repaired this and tuned up the saw and it is now working great. Hopefully that was all it was!

Glad that you found the problem and thanks for posting an update. :cheers:

Good job!

Good job! Did you find the problem because you started checking the list Chris gave you.

Dan

No, I reviewed his list but I knew all those items were good anyway. just decided that the saw had to be fixed and I wasn't stopping til I found the problem!

Back