63 PS chain breaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been using Stihl 63PS on a ported ms200t and have broken our third chain. Love the chain but it keeps breaking. This is the non safety chain. Not the 63PS3. So far the chain just flies to the front. Could not find the last one it flew so far out of the top of the tree. Used on a daily basis at tree service.

Nothing new. On what saw are you using it? They used to be authorized for the 261, not anymore as far as I understand. Biggest saw recomended now is the 241 as far as I know.

I can't imagine a 200 having the power to break a 63PS3, ported or not. Something else must be amiss.

As Brad says, I think you must have a problem,other than with the chain, as I have used both PS & PS3 on saws producing more power than I would assume you are getting from your modded 200T, & have had no chain problems Are the bar,sprocket, & nose sprocket, all OK & compatible size wise to the chain ?Have you tried a different make of chain? were all the chains loops you broke from the same roll? Possibly if it was Chicom chain, or maybe 1PS chain but 3 seems to point to a problem other than the chain.

Is the saw oiling OK? PS3 is tough chain and I've run a LOT of it on 200T's and smaller saws in hardwood. Never broken LP chain yet nor have I heard of issues with it even from pruning contractors who's employees are meathead knuckle draggers and can break basically anything.

No experience with the chain, but I seem to recall on a different thread that there was a difference in the drive sprockets for the chain. I could very well be wrong, maybe someone with experience could clarify the issue.

There was a heap of Stihl chain for pole saws that kept breaking at work, they tracked to one guy who wasn't very good at making chains

Is the saw oiling OK? PS3 is tough chain and I've run a LOT of it on 200T's and smaller saws in hardwood. Never broken LP chain yet nor have I heard of issues with it even from pruning contractors who's employees are meathead knuckle draggers and can break basically anything.

"i resemble that remark."

Where are they breaking (and I don't mean 'in the tree')?

If you can monitor the links to see if they are wearing fast at the toe or heel of the cutters, for instance, you might be able to correlate that to some other factors, such as chain tension, depth gauge setting, etc. The Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual has a whole section on diagnosing cutter wear and breakage.

http://www.oregonproducts.com/maintenance/manual.htm (pages 50 -55 in this version)

Breakage on harvester chains is often attributed to excessive chain speed. Are you running stock sprockets?

Philbert

Picco (63PMX) is common to use on the 066/660 Logosol version that is sold over here - and I'm sure it wouldn't if chain breakage was a common issue. When that setup is used by log house builders (as opposed to milling), breakages has been known to happen though.

Latest posts

Back