630 muffler bolts coming loose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windjammer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everybody new to the forum.
I've had my beloved 630/61 mutt saw since I was 11 years old. this year the 61 top end gave up the ghost.
I found a 266 P/C and the old girl came back to life.
The hole time I had the 61 cylinder I had no problems keeping the muffler on, however since switching to the 266 cylinder I cant seem to keep the muffler bolts tight.
This past weekend I ran the saw a good 5 to ten minutes before I noticed the muffler was loose.
Do you think this harmed the saw in the little amount of time?
I also noticed that somewhere along the way I lost the exhaust gasket, how important is it?
local dealer says he will have to order the gasket in. Witch isn't a big deal except they wait to get a large enough order
to cover shipping before they will order parts.
If anyone knows of a good gasket material that will hold up or a trick besides loctite ( tried that) to keep my muffler on
your input and knowledge would be much appreciated.

Hello everybody new to the forum.
I've had my beloved 630/61 mutt saw since I was 11 years old. this year the 61 top end gave up the ghost.
I found a 266 P/C and the old girl came back to life.
The hole time I had the 61 cylinder I had no problems keeping the muffler on, however since switching to the 266 cylinder I cant seem to keep the muffler bolts tight.
This past weekend I ran the saw a good 5 to ten minutes before I noticed the muffler was loose.
Do you think this harmed the saw in the little amount of time?
I also noticed that somewhere along the way I lost the exhaust gasket, how important is it?
local dealer says he will have to order the gasket in. Witch isn't a big deal except they wait to get a large enough order
to cover shipping before they will order parts.
If anyone knows of a good gasket material that will hold up or a trick besides loctite ( tried that) to keep my muffler on
your input and knowledge would be much appreciated.
Order your gasket online, run the saw till it good and hot, give the muffler bolts a good tightening, check them frequently.

Thanks ill give that a try. I dont do well with threads in cast metals. Im a little heavy handed hence why i was a little hesitate to give em a twist when hot.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The 61 uses a gasket and a 272 has a heat shield between the muffler and cylinder. Don't know what the 266 used, but I like the idea of isolating the muffler heat from the cylinder. If it were mine, I'd use a deflector. Part # 503519901

The 61 uses a gasket and a 272 has a heat shield between the muffler and cylinder. Don't know what the 266 used, but I like the idea of isolating the muffler heat from the cylinder. If it were mine, I'd use a deflector. Part # 503519901
Thank you ill look into the heat sheild idea

Does your saw have the double bolted muffler bracket or the single bolt one,I think the 266 had a double,maybe you need the double one.
It has the double bolted. Looking for a new one because one ear is broke off.

Back