660/460 STIHL mag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RN-4-STIHL

Reaction score
Greetings all, I would like your opinion regarding the 660 mag -vs-460 mag.
I currently own a MS 361 that I really like; however, I am looking to purchase a bigger saw. I would like to know your thoughts regarding the differences between the 660 and 460 mag. I do believe that I would like to have three saws total. I am a Nurse, but I just love to cut wood. Hope someone has a moment to answer my inquire.

361 460 660 is perfect 3 saw plan.

460 will flat out rock compared to the 361.

id run 20" on the 361 28" on the 460 and 32" 0r 36" on the 660 with those 3 saws theyre wont be anything you couldnt handle

If you already have the 361, I would go for the 660 for the big saw, 361 for the mid size saw, and maybe a 260 or a Husky 346 for a small saw. Dont overlook the benefits of a smaller 50cc saw, I use the hell out of my small saws. Thats if you really want a 3 saw plan.

The 460 is a great saw, but really dont fill in a broad range of a 3 saw plan. It could still be your "big" saw, but the 660 completely fills that bill.

In my books you could not go wrong with these saws but they are closely spaced power wise. Usually the 3 saw plan is for a smaller saw say an MS 260 , then something like a 361 and maybe a bigger saw like a 460 or 660, that gives a bigger spread of power and bar lengths to cut small to large diameter wood. There is nothing wrong though with having all bigger saws, I have over 80 to choose from but the 044-MS440 and 066 are my favorites for cutting 10" - 30" hardwood.
Pioneerguy600

If you already have the 361, I would go for the 660 for the big saw, 361 for the mid size saw, and maybe a 260 or a Husky 346 for a small saw.

I agree. If you already have a 361 then go ahead and step up to the 660.

Greetings all, I would like your opinion regarding the 660 mag -vs-460 mag.
I currently own a MS 361 that I really like; however, I am looking to purchase a bigger saw. I would like to know your thoughts regarding the differences between the 660 and 460 mag. I do believe that I would like to have three saws total. I am a Nurse, but I just love to cut wood. Hope someone has a moment to answer my inquire.

The 660 is bigger and has more power than the 460. 2 different animals here, it's hard to compare apples and oranges. Either one will spank your 361 handily. Unless you cut 30" plus wood on the regular, get a 460.

Jerry,
I am considering the "80 saw plan" and am not certain where to start after my 026, 036 and 6401.

Can you help ?:jawdrop:

( tongue in check-planted firmly)

Angelo

He, He, My advice is to get them all from big to small and then you can choose any size saw you want for any occasion that you can think of or even invent some uses for a certain size saw. I usually make it a saw day each time out cutting. One day its Stihl`s, the next maybe Dolmar day, the next maybe Husqvarna and then Jonsered, Poulan, Pioneer, Homelite, McCulloch , Titan ,IEL, Wright, David Bradley,Mall, Etc. Etc.
Pioneerguy600

I would say go for the 460. I have both the 660 and the 460. I wish that I would've never bought the 660, the 460 will cut right along with it in MOST cases but not all. Unless your cutting 30'' to 36'' wood all the time the 460 will do fine. Heck it would do fine even if you were cutting that big all of the time.

I would say go for the 460. I have both the 660 and the 460. I wish that I would've never bought the 660, the 460 will cut right along with it in MOST cases but not all. Unless your cutting 30'' to 36'' wood all the time the 460 will do fine. Heck it would do fine even if you were cutting that big all of the time.

I agree unless you plan on cutting with a 28" or longer bar regularly the 460 will do what you ask of it without complaint.

+1 I cut alot of silver maples 50 in.+ no problem for the 460 Not going to see many hard woods that big

I agree. If you already have a 361 then go ahead and step up to the 660.
Thanks for your help. I am new a posting questions, and responses. If money is not in question. Would the group consensus be then buy the 660 MAG?

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I am new a posting questions, and responses. If money is not in question. Would the group consensus be then buy the 660 MAG?

That would be my $0.02 cents worth.

There is not a real lot of difference from a 361 - 460 to justify the 460 IMO.

With the 660 you can latter entertain the ider of getting a CSM mill.

Yep, bigger is always better if money is not an issue. Take that 660 and break it in, then woods port and muffler mod it, hard to believe you would need a bigger saw for every day cutting.
Pioneerguy600

First question, what are you cutting? How big of a bar do you need? A 460 with a 25" bar is a hell of a combo. Good power, durable, etc. You'll not notice much of a difference between it and the 660 until you get above a 28" bar and have it buried.

The 660, great saw...as long as your not humping it all day in the woods. Some of us are not as young and fit as we once were...

With that said a couple things to do with both saws.
1) Get a DP muffler! On the 660 make sure it has a factory DP...
2) On the 460 get the West Coast oiler for it. They are known to be shy on oil output with the stock oiler.
3) If you want to run a larger rail on the 460, get a few semi skip chains.
4) Keep the chains sharp and air filters clean.
5) Run syn. oil in either.​

Both are great saws, just make sure buy your saw based on needs, not the coolness factor/wants.

Greetings all, I would like your opinion regarding the 660 mag -vs-460 mag...I do believe that I would like to have three saws total.

We have a 460 and a 660, along with an 029, 290, 044, and a 440. The 660 doesn't get used much, but we use the heck out of the others. The 660 is too heavy to be humping around all day, but the thing is darn sure fun to cut with. If you say money isn't a problem, then get one! Why not?? I like our 460, too, but I use the old 044 more than any of them. I'll tell you what - just get one of each at the Stihl dealer! Then have fun cuttin'!

Both are great saws, just make sure buy your saw based on needs, not the coolness factor/wants.

Are you sure you're on the right forum?:laugh: Just kidding, you're right, of course.

We have a 460 and a 660, along with an 029, 290, 044, and a 440. The 660 doesn't get used much, but we use the heck out of the others. The 660 is too heavy to be humping around all day, but the thing is darn sure fun to cut with. If you say money isn't a problem, then get one! Why not?? I like our 460, too, but I use the old 044 more than any of them. I'll tell you what - just get one of each at the Stihl dealer! Then have fun cuttin'!

Elliot, do you frequent the Precision Stihl shop there in Steamboat?

Latest posts

Back