660/460 STIHL mag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would go a 441 over a 460, far less vibes better filtration and similar power. Drinks less too, I grab my 441 for about 70% of my work. If I need more power I go for my 880, it's by far my fav saw.

Elliot, do you frequent the Precision Stihl shop there in Steamboat?

Not much anymore. We used to visit them a lot, but I buy chain by the spool now, handle all my sharpening needs, do my own repairs, order bars and other stuff from Bailey's, etc., so I don't get in to see Jim at Precision hardly ever anymore. But, when I need answers to chainsaw questions, Jim is the first person I go to. He's forgot more than I'll ever know.

okay you should sell your 361 and put that money towards a 460 then buy a 660 and get a 026 / 260 for small saw. thats a perfect three saw plan 50 cc 70cc 90cc the 361 has no place in any saw plan except for a one saw plan for a firewood cutter

okay you should sell your 361 and put that money towards a 460 then buy a 660 and get a 026 / 260 for small saw. thats a perfect three saw plan 50 cc 70cc 90cc the 361 has no place in any saw plan except for a one saw plan for a firewood cutter

I completely agree, BUT I would swap out the 026/260 for a 346xp NE.

my 3 saw plan is 2/3 complete with a 026 with a 20" b&C and a 044 with a 30" b&C next in line is a 066 probly

I got nothing at all against the 260, but the 346xp is a better saw for less IMO. Unless for some reason you need to stick with one brand, I say stick with the best saw in the range you need.

I got nothing at all against the 260, but the 346xp is a better saw for less IMO. Unless for some reason you need to stick with one brand, I say stick with the best saw in the range you need.

lots of ways of looking at it same bar set up's for me and one dealer one file. there is no husky dealer around here,unless you count the big box stores.

lots of ways of looking at it same bar set up's for me and one dealer one file. there is no husky dealer around here,unless you count the big box stores.

I agree. However, around here a lot of the dealers, and the ones I frequent most often, sell Stihl and Husky, so dealer support is not an issue. I am running .325 on my smaller saws so bar compatability would not have been there anyway.

Although it would be nice to be able to switch bars and chains between my 028WB and my 346xp. I have to get a .050 bar for the 028 so at least they can share chains. Buying stihl chains has been killing me, money wise. I just ordered some woodland pro chains from Bailey's to see how they run, I should get them tomorrow, we'll see.

i run the oregon lgx on my 044 its about half the price of running the rsc i also run the 3/8" lgx on my muffler modded 026 and it handles it very well.

im also running a stihl rsc and and have two rslk's they will be replaced with oregon chain when wore out

its just not worth while to dump dump so much money in chain when there is little to no performance gain by running stihl gold plated chains

I`ll Repeat What (Wild Knight) Said, "If you buy the 460, then IMO you'll never run the 361 again. A 361/660 is a great 2 saw combo".

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS660.html

I think you're right. To me it's hard to find a suitable partner for the 361. It's got to be either a really small (40cc) or a really big (80cc+) saw. The others in between seem redundant.

I agree with the 260 part. I had a 361 myself and sold it due to so many 70cc saws, that 361 was just too nice to sit and was out of place when you have a 50cc and 70cc combo. I now have a parts saw 361, but won't be in no hurry to get it running. I say buy the 460, sell the 361, and get a 026/260 as your small saw.

now if the 361 was lighter and balanced better it wouldnt be redundant, when 70cc saws are pretty light and pack alot of power to grunt through big trees with the long bars it kinda makes one wonder why they ever got a 60cc saw in the first place

this holds true for the other 60cc saws on the market, im not bashing the 361. the 60cc;s are true one saw plan kinda thing.

I just ordered some woodland pro chains from Bailey's to see how they run, I should get them tomorrow, we'll see.

I have a 100' spool of Woodland Pro chain (well, whatever's left of it) from Bailey's. I love it. I think you made a good choice ordering the WP. What did you order? Full chisel or semi? I have both full and semi and, honestly, I like the semi-chisel skip better than any other chain I've used.

I have a 100' spool of Woodland Pro chain (well, whatever's left of it) from Bailey's. I love it. I think you made a good choice ordering the WP. What did you order? Full chisel or semi? I have both full and semi and, honestly, I like the semi-chisel skip better than any other chain I've used.

I ordered the full chisel, full comp .325". I needed some chains for the 028 and the didn't list a semi chisel in the .325" pitch chain. I prefer semi chisel, as I cut in lots of different conditions and in lots of different wood, and I hate to take a break and file.

I agree with the 260 part. I had a 361 myself and sold it due to so many 70cc saws, that 361 was just too nice to sit and was out of place when you have a 50cc and 70cc combo. I now have a parts saw 361, but won't be in no hurry to get it running. I say buy the 460, sell the 361, and get a 026/260 as your small saw.

Brian,

+1 .... I agree.

A great two saw plan:

Pick a good 50cc saw:
Stihl 026, Husky 346XP or Dolmar 5100.

And, pick a good 70cc saw:
Stihl 440/441/460, Husky 372XP/576XP, or Dolmar 7300/7900.

A 361 is a nice saw, but it's a dust collector with a good 70cc saw in your stable.

ole joat

Brian,

+1 .... I agree.

A great two saw plan:

Pick a good 50cc saw:
Stihl 026, Husky 346XP or Dolmar 5100.

And, pick a good 70cc saw:
Stihl 440/441/460, Husky 372XP/576XP, or Dolmar 7300/7900.

A 361 is a nice saw, but it's a dust collector with a good 70cc saw in your stable.

ole joat

Thats great advice Joat, well about the Dolmars:)

I agree. However, around here a lot of the dealers, and the ones I frequent most often, sell Stihl and Husky, so dealer support is not an issue. I am running .325 on my smaller saws so bar compatability would not have been there anyway.

Although it would be nice to be able to switch bars and chains between my 028WB and my 346xp. I have to get a .050 bar for the 028 so at least they can share chains. Buying stihl chains has been killing me, money wise. I just ordered some woodland pro chains from Bailey's to see how they run, I should get them tomorrow, we'll see.
Ive got atleast a dozen woodland pro and very happy with them!:clap:

Back