660 bar... 32 or 36"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get the 36, you may need it later

then it's up to you whether you get a stihl bar
or oregon reduced weight

36inch and get the stihl bar. You will wish you had the extra 4 inches at some point and I think that stihl bars are harder and last longer. happy cutt'n

I have a 24" bar on my 066, works very well for the kind of stuff we cut around here: ash, maple, some oak and elm.

I have bigger saws if I need a longer bar.

Mark

I already have a 24" w/ 8tooth on it, and boy is that fun!, but need a bigger bar and dont want to drag the 076 around.

I had the choice between the 32" on my 660 and a 36" on a 064 I bought to fix and sell. I stuck with the 32" as it worked fine bucking a 4 ft. doug. fir and I can still run full comp. rather than skip on the 36".
There's little wood a 660 with a 32" can't get through.
(Some photos from that big fir)::chainsaw:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=79203&highlight=660+big+wood

36 in makes it hard to find a bar with .050 chain.

32 is easy to find in .50 or .063.

Not a big deal, but if you bu chain by the roll and most of your other chain is .050 the 36 in .063 loops end up costing you.

36 in makes it hard to find a bar with .050 chain.

32 is easy to find in .50 or .063.

Not a big deal, but if you buy chain by the roll and most of your other chain is .050 the 36 in .063 loops end up costing you.

That depends on your local stihl policy... around here, 050 is all you find in 36.. or pretty much any 3003 bar

I have a 36" for my 066 and use it for stumps. I just put on a 25" sugihara w/8 pin for firewood and works fine for me. Not too much fire wood you can't cut with a 25" B/C
stuff040.jpg

Last edited:
I had a 25" bar on my 066. I used it quite offen. Then I decided to put a 36" bar on it. I very seldom use it now. The balance is horrible and it's way under powered to push a bar that long even with semi skip and 7 pin.
If you go 36" bar learn to saw with patience. I plan to put the 25" back on. Since I have 36" bars that will fit my 395xp and 3120xp.

I think if I had to redo I would go with a 32" bar for balance if no other reason.

Balance? Must be a personal choice; I like them way nose heavy. Try an 088 with a 42 or 59 inch bar...Lolol

The saw is pressing in the wood 90% of the time... less for me to push.

If you already have a 24" I'd go with the 36" bar, just in case.

That works for me just fine. Well it did before I got the 440, it wears the 25". Got a 30" and the 36" for the 660 now.

I had a 25" bar on my 066. I used it quite offen. Then I decided to put a 36" bar on it... and it's way under powered to push a bar that long even with semi skip and 7 pin.

:dizzy: Never had a problem with 36" full skip w/ 7t. Thats cutting 40"+ oaks.

That works for me just fine. Well it did before I got the 440, it wears the 25". Got a 30" and the 36" for the 660 now.

:dizzy: Never had a problem with 36" full skip w/ 7t. Thats cutting 40"+ oaks.

It's really unfair for me to said it's underpowered I know. I made some timed cuts in 38" pin oak and it took forever. I could make a cut and be half way into another cut with my 395xp in the same time. But my 395xp is not stock, so it's not a fair comparision.
I do plan to do the same work on the 066 as my 395xp.
Don't read anything into what I'm saying. The 066 is a heck of a saw. One of Stihls best. I wouldn't think nothing in buying it again or recommending it to anyone. IMO

Latest posts

Back