660 or 880?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at a big 880 myself but ended up with a husky395 and I can tell you that it doesn't get any lighter by the end of the day.A big 880 will make the end of the day come sooner,not because of its performance,but because of its weight.

Anybody have any experience with the Solo 694?

Hate to hijack my own thread, but the Solo 694 that Baileys has looks to be the same power as the 660. Any one have milling experience with it? I would save $200 with it and could apply that to more chains and extra milling accessories. I am leaning toward the 660, but $200 would help me achieve my goal of setting up sooner. Thanks for your advice.

It's the same saw as the big Dolmar 9010 rebadged as a Solo. Pretty stout saw with allot of torque. It makes a good milling saw as it's not a screamer type power band and pulls hard throughout the top half of the rev range. It's a very good saw for the value. :cheers:

I have 900ml on the 051/ 1200ml on the 076, from acres site.
I may have to try all 3 setups, though it will be mid winter before I do, I owe some machine time to some folks, just getting the saws finished now.I ended up with a 42 inch double bar and some 051s so....................

I don't doubt that Stihl made those saws with those capacities. I also know that the two 051's that I have are diferent vintages and they have differerent sized fuel tanks. The older saw has a much larger tank and I would guess it is in the 1200ml range, same as the 075/076. the older 051 has a diferent flywheel and points set up and I have not tried to see if the tank will swap straight across with the newer vintage 051. I do tend to reach for the older saw due to the larger capacity tank so it might be worth looking into if you like using the dual 051 set up.

Just incase you might be thinking that my older saw is an 075 with a smaller jug it is infact an 051 due to the smaller sized cylinder bolt holes. I have one 051 that I made that mod to so it is now an 075, something else for you to think about.

660 it is !!

Thanks for all the advice. I picked up my new 660 Friday after work. Gently breaking it in now. I am in the process of putting an order into Baileys for milling bar, chain and accessories. Does anyone have any experience with the two 41-42" bars they sell? 41" Oregon Powermatch at $85 or the 42" Woodland Pro at $170? I will contact my Stihl dealer Monday about their 41". I want to maximize all available room on my 36" Alaskan. Thanks for all your help/advice.

Thanks for all the advice. I picked up my new 660 Friday after work. Gently breaking it in now. I am in the process of putting an order into Baileys for milling bar, chain and accessories. Does anyone have any experience with the two 41-42" bars they sell? 41" Oregon Powermatch at $85 or the 42" Woodland Pro at $170? I will contact my Stihl dealer Monday about their 41". I want to maximize all available room on my 36" Alaskan. Thanks for all your help/advice.

I have an Oregon Powermatch 42" that I use from time to time on my 395. So far it seems like a very good bar. Congratulations on the 660, im sure you will be very happy with it.

Last edited:
I have the 42" Oregon pro bar, and it is fine for what I do. I've milled about 30 logs, and there is a small amount of wear, but not more than I would have expected. If you are planning on doing this for a career, a Cannon bar may be in order, but if just a hobby... the Oregon should be sufficient. This bar will allow you to make the maximum cut with your 36" mill. Enjoy!

It will be interesting what chain they reccomend or do you have something in mind already?As for the bar,if you are a hobbyist like me,an Oregon bar is fine and I am slabbing hardwood.

I have the 42" Oregon pro bar, and it is fine for what I do. I've milled about 30 logs, and there is a small amount of wear, but not more than I would have expected. If you are planning on doing this for a career, a Cannon bar may be in order, but if just a hobby... the Oregon should be sufficient. This bar will allow you to make the maximum cut with your 36" mill. Enjoy!

I've been incredibly happy with mine too. It is the best wear I've ever seen on an Oregon bar. They did that one right.

Mark

I am going to start out with a 42" bar, probably the Oregon, as everyone says it is a good one for the money and .063, .375 ripping chain from Baileys. They always answer my questions and are so helpful (and patient). I've got the saw strapped down now burning a tank of gas through it at various lower RPM's, as the manual states no high RPM's for the first three tanks.

I had purchased a rebuilt 066 with new P&C, new B&C. It seemed to work pretty well, and compression was on the rise as I ran several tanks through it. A fellow AS member mentioned that he was doing big bore kits in several 066s, and commented how much stronger they were. I took my saw over and had him install the kit. It was stronger from the first cut, and now has several tanks through it. I think it had one tank through before it went onto the mill. I've got to tell you, it cuts at least 2-3 times faster in the same wood as did my 272xp. It uses less fuel and oil for the same boards, and doesn't work nearly as hard. I'm impressed!

I saw an 088 for sale with 48" B&C, and it sure convinced me that I didn't need one. That thing is huge and heavy.

Latest posts

Back