661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How mentioned TEL.
Fact is that breathing exhaust fumes out of any two cycle is bad..

TEL fumes on either end of the combustion cycle are far far worse than non-leaded gas fumes and exhaust though. The gas/oil companies knew this from the start when employees died making TEL blended gas, but is was covered up. Later cases in point: CHP officers were tested in LA when TEL was in gas and many had 1/2 the lethal dose of lead in their blood. That study led to the subsequent reduction and removal of lead in gas in CA and the US. Since the removal of lead in gasoline, lead levels in humans in the US have dropped significantly.

As a kid riding dirt bikes. Golden Spectro used to make me break out into hives. Weird

TEL fumes on either end of the combustion cycle are far far worse than non-leaded gas fumes and exhaust though. The gas/oil companies knew this from the start when employees died making TEL blended gas, but is was covered up. Later cases in point: CHP officers were tested in LA when TEL was in gas and many had 1/2 the lethal dose of lead in their blood. That study led to the subsequent reduction and removal of lead in gas in CA and the US. Since the removal of lead in gasoline, lead levels in humans in the US have dropped significantly.
Great, but I never mentioned lead or that breathing any of this stuff is a good thing, so what am I "emphatically wrong" on?
Of note though is that the richer=cooler longer lasting saw crew is subjecting themselves to way more nasties than those that tune right.

Nope just cutting and blocking some firewood with it. I haven't had any problems with it tuned around 14k slobbering oil out. There is a good bit of carbon build up in the muffler but it seems to be dry. The other picture came out too blurry to show the back half. I was surprised it was as dry as it was.

Nope just cutting and blocking some firewood with it. I haven't had any problems with it tuned around 14k slobbering oil out. There is a good bit of carbon build up in the muffler but it seems to be dry. The other picture came out too blurry to show the back half. I was surprised it was as dry as it was.
Doesn't look too bad.

Castor oil will beat all of them.
How this relevant to anything?
I read an article on oil testing with 2-cycle engines until failure. Castor oil was the winner. It lasted longer than synthetic and dino oils.
What are some brands of Castor based oils?

I read an article on oil testing with 2-cycle engines until failure. Castor oil was the winner. It lasted longer than synthetic and dino oils.
What are some brands of Castor based oils?
Maxima 927, Klotz super is part bean oil. Klotz benol and several others if you look hard enough.

Great, but I never mentioned lead or that breathing any of this stuff is a good thing, so what am I "emphatically wrong" on?
Of note though is that the richer=cooler longer lasting saw crew is subjecting themselves to way more nasties than those that tune right.

Well no. There are all kinds of risks, some are worse than others though. The TEL issue came up with the general issue of the toxicity of premix and gas additives. As for tuning right or wrung, or using the right oil mix, or even the right oil (some guys here still swear by TWC-3 premix), or the right gas (some use LL Avgas, others use racing gas, while others swear by regular low octane), there are indeed other issues and risks for saw crews, yes. Vibration from saws, cosmic rays from being outside, personal injury using a chipper and chainsaw, climbing accidents, and...

Hey! wait a minute, this is arborist talk! This site is not about that stuff any more, is it?

Its pretty dirty though isnt it?

I ran Maxxima for a while in a couple of ported saws at 32:1. At first, it was fine, but eventually the varnish started. It took about 20 tanks before it was very noticeable through the muffler. I didn't take it any further, but running Castrol Pro 1, 2t at 32:1 cleaned out the varnish quickly.

For firewood I don't think you'll be getting hot enough long enough to burn the castor off. I've used the 927 and didn't see the buildup some have.

Back