661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any difference in motorcycle two stroke engines that are air cooled and water cooled and are there oils designated for each or just one grouping such as two stroke motorcycle oil?

Don't get hung up on 100:1 since they offer other suggested ratios that can be used. Hand held blowers run around 8000 rpms and chainsaws of course up to 14,000 stock. I think that you have to adjust the ratio for the particular application.

Really, there are no air cooled two cycle motorcycle engines in production. Maybe some of the smaller maker 50cc bikes.
Although it varries, typically motorcycle oils are designed for liquid cooled bikes. They are nearly always low ash type lubricants.

Don't get hung up on 100:1 since they offer other suggested ratios that can be used. Hand held blowers run around 8000 rpms and chainsaws of course up to 14,000 stock. I think that you have to adjust the ratio for the particular application.
I'm not hung up on it. However trade offs need to be made to have an oil perform at 100:1.

In regards to blowers. My Husky/Redmax 580 turns about 7k. The Redmax 8000 it replaced was about the same rpm wise.
Blowers also run under very little load and at constant throttle. If you could have an aircooled oil formulated with the additive package of a marine oil and run it at 50:1 or perhaps leaner it would be perfect. They simply don't get hot enough or see enough throttle transitions to use current air cooled oils IMO.

Would you say motorcycle oils of years past were stronger than the oils today to operate the water cooled engines of today?

Generally speaking oils of yesteryear, be they mineral, castor or synthetic where much more dirty. When I first started fooling with two strokes it was a necessity to carry.plugs with you because they fouled on a regular basis. I fouled a plug in my bike this year for the first time in probaly a decade. I can't even recall the last time I fouled a plug in anything else.

One other thing to consider is the output of a typical 250cc motocross two stroke doubled in a pretty short time. Oils also advanced pretty rapidly into the late 90's. After that point two cycle oil development was mostly driven by snowmobiles. It's stagnated for the last ten years as twoncycles are in the brink of extinction.

Good question. An oil that can stand up to more severe circumstances, namely heat.
If that's what your looking for I would look at either Maxima 927 or Klotz Super Techniplate. I chose the latter for certain situations. Never with OPE though as its not needed and when running either there are downsides in cleanliness, corrosion protection, fuel seperation, etc that one must be aware of.

Latest posts

Back