661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is incorrect.

I respect your knowledge on most of the stuff on these forums as it far exceeds mine. Here though you are wrong.

More fuel in a larger space does not take more time than less fuel in a smaller space. It is all relative. In reality the speed of burn in these engines with small combustion chambers doesn't actually matter much rate of burn wise anyways since they are using gasoline. Detonation is really the incorrect verbiage for what is happening anyways.

Again it isn't relevant to most people in regards to how these engines run and shouldn't be but I just wanted to clear that up with you.
A larger bore motor takes longer to combust and is why they have higher octane requirements. This is fact.
Detonation refers to abnormal, not normal combustion.

I'm a newbie here so I don't want to come in and stir the pot or make enemies so if anyone is taking it as such please let me know. Just trying to share what I do know relevant to this forum which is a small scope in comparison to most of you.

A larger bore motor takes longer to combust and is why they have higher octane requirements. This is fact.
Detonation refers to abnormal, not normal combustion.

I don't think I'm going to win to convince you otherwise, you seem set in your opinion which is fine. Not sure what your education is in or your profession or former profession.

I do however make my living investigating, teaching and testifying about fires and explosions. My college degree is in fire science, I went to the FBI bomb school and the ATF fire and arson school at the National Fire academy in Emmitsburg, MD. There is honestly no more highly regarded training anywhere for these topics respectively. I am qualified as an expert witness in multiple circuit courts as well as federally. I openly admit what things I don't know about but I suppose not everyone is willing to do that.

I wouldn't generally throw my CV out there but I don't know how else to convey to you that I know more than you about this stuff.

I don't think I'm going to win to convince you otherwise, you seem set in your opinion which is fine. Not sure what your education is in or your profession or former profession.

I do however make my living investigating, teaching and testifying about fires and explosions. My college degree is in fire science, I went to the FBI bomb school and the ATF fire and arson school at the National Fire academy in Emmitsburg, MD. There is honestly no more highly regarded training anywhere for these topics respectively. I am qualified as an expert witness in multiple circuit courts as well as federally. I openly admit what things I don't know about but I suppose not everyone is willing to do that.

I wouldn't generally throw my CV out there but I don't know how else to convey to you that I know more than you about this stuff.
No offense , but fires and explosions are not relevant to this subject.

The classic Two cycle design conundrum is one of large bore, short stroke/detonation, and long stroke, small bore/ high piston speed.

There is actually not any detonation in these engines if we want to be technical, it is deflagration.

Sorry to keep going in this as I suppose I jumped in this thread derai

Detonation is not a phenomenon it is a common form of an explosion. Under roughly 3,300 fps burn is deflagration, over is detonation. Also known as high order vs low order explosions.

Gasoline does not detonate in these engines.

Your comparing apples to oranges.

Tell me how it is apples to oranges? An internal combustion engine is just a standard burn of gasoline confined to a finite area which is used to expand inside of the engine pushing piston resulting in the energy they produce....

Your more than welcome to debate me, Give me your reasoning behind it not a "your wrong" type of comment.

I have said in what 2-3 posts now what detonation is..... Where do you get that I do t think detonation exists? It does exist and is common just not inside of these engines.

Tell me how it is apples to oranges? An internal combustion engine is just a standard burn of gasoline confined to a finite area which is used to expand inside of the engine pushing piston resulting in the energy they produce....

Your more than welcome to debate me, Give me your reasoning behind it not a "your wrong" type of comment.
I'm driving right now, so I really can't debate you. However, you need to do some research.

I'm driving right now, so I really can't debate you. However, you need to do some research.

It exists in engines...

Having this stuff being my full time job and being a qualified expert in it I certainly don't need to do research. Heck this is what I wrote about when I got my masters. Going to school for this stuff I hate using google as a "source of knowledge" as I find too many people think they know everything about everything. The most dangerous thing in life is when people don't know what they don't know.

Here you go though:

Deflagration
Everyday fire and most explosions are examples of deflagration.

The flame propagation velocity is less than 100 m/s (usually much lower) and the overpressure is less than 0.5 bar. Because it is controllable, deflagration can be harnessed. Examples of deflagrations include:
* internal combustion engine
* gas stove
* fireworks and other pyrotechnics
* gunpowder in a firearm
* grease fire or chip pan fire

Detonation
A detonation is a dramatic, often destructive form of an explosion. It is characterized by a supersonic exothermic front (in excess of 100 m/s up to 2000 m/s) and significant overpressure (up to 20 bars).

The front drives a shockwave ahead of it.
Although technically a form of oxidation reaction, a detonation doesn't require combination with oxygen. Unstable molecules release considerable energy when they split and recombine into new forms. Examples of chemicals that produce detonations include any high explosives, such as:
* TNT (trinitrotoluene)
* nitroglycerine
* dynamite
* picric acid
* C4

Detonation
A detonation is a dramatic, often destructive form of an explosion. It is characterized by a supersonic exothermic front (in excess of 100 m/s up to 2000 m/s) and significant overpressure (up to 20 bars).

The front drives a shockwave ahead of it.
Although technically a form of oxidation reaction, a detonation doesn't require combination with oxygen. Unstable molecules release considerable energy when they split and recombine into new forms. Examples of chemicals that produce detonations include any high explosives, such as:
* TNT (trinitrotoluene)
* nitroglycerine
* dynamite
* picric acid
* C4
Yes, and it happens on occasion in a Ic engine..with devastating results.

Back