661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like 800 and h1r ?
When I went from stihl ultra 50:1 to 800 off-road at 32:1 in my 660 a significant adjustment was needed. I've noticed when ambient temps fluctuate 30 degrees or so a slight carb adjustment is needed. Less than that I just go with it as long as it's not 4-stroking under load.

When I went from stihl ultra 50:1 to 800 off-road at 32:1 in my 660 a significant adjustment was needed. I've noticed when ambient temps fluctuate 30 degrees or so a slight carb adjustment is needed. Less than that I just go with it as long as it's not 4-stroking under load.
Certain saws are more sensitive than others as well. A ported ms260 is very sensitive IME to small changes in temp. While my older ported 372's run pretty good most all the time.

One other thing. If an engine is four stroking it's literally choking on fuel. I have always adjusted the carb till it cleans up no load, then made some cuts and adjusted till it felt best. I then take a tach reading no load and you have a reliable point to tune to.

I keep a screwdriver in my pocket whenever cutting because of that ,nothing more aggravating than a blubbering sounding saw to me ,other than one with a dull chain .

Thats normal. When u r trying to force more oil through a opening adjusted for 50to1 an adjustment will be necessary but that has nothing to do with the oil but rather the amount

Certain saws are more sensitive than others as well. A ported ms260 is very sensitive IME to small changes in temp. While my older ported 372's run pretty good most all the time.
Your 260 is ported now Ben ?

I can tune my 066 by ear and it will 4 stroke out of the wood @ 15,000
It makes its most power tuned to 13,200. I know this because this is where it holds the most RPM while cutting.

Anyone wanna guess how bad its blubbering at 13,200 ?
Probably sounds like a nanny goat. Most saws will take more fuel to make more power but adjusting porting for higher rpm and more fuel flow can bring that rpm back up? My 241 was strato gutted and intake lowered and taking on all kinds of fuel but transfers and exhaust was raised also and maintained rpm in the cut

why not just buy 2 different oils -

mix brand A - 50:1

mix brand B - 50:1

run a tank with A
run a tank with B

tell us what you think
Happily, anyone care to suggest an oil that runs the richest/needs the most leaning out on an adjustable carb?
That's all I'm asking. Throw the dog a bone without making him re do everything you've tried.

Are you saying it's because of a higher viscosity?
Yes the way I see it Brad. If u have orfice at say .040 and adjusted to flow say 30 wt oil and switch to say 100wt oil the orfice wont flow the same without increasing it hence the lean condition goin to the higher viscosity

But it's not near that thick when thinned with gasoline. I would think the viscosity difference of pre-mix at various ratios would be nearly immeasurable. I could be wrong, but I can't see viscosity having anything to do with it. JUST MY OPINION. I believe it's because there's simply less fuel/volume.

Back