661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make it easy and go 42:1....3oz per gallon or 36:1....3.5oz per gallon....i like to keep it simple

I keep it simple with 150ML per 5 Litres. ;) The pumps here dispense litres, so it's very easy to make your mix even if it stops at an uneven number. Minimum octane at the pumps here is 95RON/92AKI.

I don't worry about the numbers anymore, i'm gonna keep using Lucas semi-synthetic 32:1 if something grenades so be it.

I have been using anything from Oregon non synth to Woodland full synth to Stihl to HP standard to something I found at Halfords that was rebranded but claimed to be full synth to Maximma 927 to Castrol Racing Pro1 2t to blah blah blah. I use my saws professionally, and have been for years. Running at 43-1 and currently at 33:1, have never had any failures I could attribute to oiling issues. Most of those saws were ported. I currently have a ported 241CM that I have as a daily driver with a 17" bar running the castrol synth at 33:1, and I tore her down 4 times porting her over the span of a few months. She looked squeaky clean every time, and I do not baby that saw.

158973933.X7BNqonk.jpg

158980579.WMdsDgau.jpg

158305039.e76riwOB.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg
Nope not around here....i buy 91 octane E free gas now through November when the marina is open, its like 10 minutes away. But during the winter the best i can buy is E10 Shell VPower. I can get Cam2 race gas but i don't need 100 octane fuel and i don't want AvGas. But we burn through it fast enough so its not a problem but i use E free as often as i can.

If im up that way ill grab some its in blairsville , its on the way to indiana university (IUP) and we go up sometimes because thats where my woman went to school , but im not makin a special trip.

Marketing plays a role in most things, now more than ever. With that said the benefits of Ester based or even PAO oils is not really arguable, the numbers alone tell a big part of the story. It's your equipment and you're free to use what you want, but to say their far better oils is simply false information. Comparable would be a better choice of words. I've seen the results and differences between syn and semi syn oils myself, there is no comparison IMHO. I actually find buying a gallon or 1/2 gallon of oil at a time not all that expensive. H1R is in fact one of the more expensive 2T oils you can buy at $68 a gallon.

Now lets get back on track and let the OP do his thing and see what happens.
Well the old castor bean is actually what any oil gets compared against as far as lubricating properties, but what the hell would l know. Everyone seems to only care about one factor with oils and that is how clean they burn. Ever wondered why stihl ultra has a worse jaso rating than stihls semi synthetic?? Ever wondered why HR1 has no jaso rating on bottle?? l suppose they can't afford it right??lol lt's like going into a church and convincing the congregation that God doesn't exist. lt's going to be a battle no matter what the actual facts are. l use a generic semi synthetic fd oil, that is a third of the cost of the big name man made 100% ester based blow by causing stuff. Whats not in an oil can be far more important than what is in it. l would use an fb dino oil any day of the week over 100% ester base full synth oil. Try this, get the cheapest oil on the shelf, mix to same ratio you use and see how much easier your OPE is to start and get warm. Try it! I am not saying full synth oils don't have 'some' advantages what l am saying is the negatives far far out way the positives.

Another thing to consider is, we all talk about l use this xxx oil mixed at xxx ratio and have done so for xxx years without any failures....right. When was the last time you or anyone on AS had a failure DIRECTLY related to oil quality?? No oil yes, lean tune sieze yes, not enough oil yes, but l have NEVER seen a failure directly related to quality of oil. Proove me wrong and find one....go on. But you will have to proove it directly relates to quality of oil!

Another thing to consider is, we all talk about l use this xxx oil mixed at xxx ratio and have done so for xxx years without any failures....right. When was the last time you or anyone on AS had a failure DIRECTLY related to oil quality?? No oil yes, lean tune sieze yes, not enough oil yes, but l have NEVER seen a failure directly related to quality of oil. Proove me wrong and find one....go on. But you will have to proove it directly relates to quality of oil!

I never thought I'd see anyone get butt hurt over oil. Seriously man take it easy.:cheers:

In certain instances of damage from carbon buildup would you not consider oil as a factor or just blame the fuel?

Back