661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the old castor bean is actually what any oil gets compared against as far as lubricating properties, but what the hell would l know. Everyone seems to only care about one factor with oils and that is how clean they burn. Ever wondered why stihl ultra has a worse jaso rating than stihls semi synthetic?? Ever wondered why HR1 has no jaso rating on bottle?? l suppose they can't afford it right??lol lt's like going into a church and convincing the congregation that God doesn't exist. lt's going to be a battle no matter what the actual facts are. l use a generic semi synthetic fd oil, that is a third of the cost of the big name man made 100% ester based blow by causing stuff. Whats not in an oil can be far more important than what is in it. l would use an fb dino oil any day of the week over 100% ester base full synth oil. Try this, get the cheapest oil on the shelf, mix to same ratio you use and see how much easier your OPE is to start and get warm. Try it! I am not saying full synth oils don't have 'some' advantages what l am saying is the negatives far far out way the positives.
Well one thing about the synthetic is it not so good to use for breaking inn an engine. Too slippery were parts need to be polished and rings dont seat as well as the good old smokey cheep oil

Id blame fuel for the hard nasty piston scoring carbon. The oil carbon is more like goo vs fuel carbon that is hard like rocks. 2 or 4 stroke
I beg to differ....take a bunch of oils and heat them up over their flash points for a while and see whats leftover

Meant just under flashpoint....derp

I have been using anything from Oregon non synth to Woodland full synth to Stihl to HP standard to something I found at Halfords that was rebranded but claimed to be full synth to Maximma 927 to Castrol Racing Pro1 2t to blah blah blah. I use my saws professionally, and have been for years. Running at 43-1 and currently at 33:1, have never had any failures I could attribute to oiling issues. Most of those saws were ported. I currently have a ported 241CM that I have as a daily driver with a 17" bar running the castrol synth at 33:1, and I tore her down 4 times porting her over the span of a few months. She looked squeaky clean every time, and I do not baby that saw.

158973933.X7BNqonk.jpg

158980579.WMdsDgau.jpg

158305039.e76riwOB.jpg
I concur. Whats a spark plug or to burn of a spark screen. More oil more lube longer engine life. Phuck all that 50 to 1 crap. Especially on a new engine. Work em long and hard yeah youl be glad it stays lubed and slippery. Like a woman.

I beg to differ....take a bunch of oils and heat them up over their flash points for a while and see whats leftover
Oh you talking like waist oil heaters? Yeah they burn cleaner than a old car with a stuck choke or float

Oh you talking like waist oil heaters? Yeah they burn cleaner than a old car with a stuck choke or float
If you coul get it all to burn like a waste oil heater it would not be an issue as much.....more like slow roast the oil then get it real hot and see.

Once the carbon becomes a solid instead of burning it becomes a problem

If you can reduce wear and not build up carbon is that not a good idea?
Oh i love the synthetic oils and use them all the time even in the 1950's saws but now im prolly a dumb azz for that too huh. Yeah i said more oil is a good thing and i did say i dont like synthetic for a break inn oil. If all of you are saying dont run more oil cuase youl get a build up of carbon. Well do you use 50 to 1 if thats what the manual calls for? Most likely yes you do. Read through and se if ur owner manuals also say what services required after certain amount of hours like grease clutch bearing. Or change fuel filter well im shure it also says replace ur screen and remove carbon from exhaust port. So if you do get some build up with this oil that oil this amount of oil vs that amount of oil you still have shart to clean up

:
I never thought I'd see anyone get butt hurt over oil. Seriously man take it easy.:cheers:
l am not hurt at all, you got any failure you care to discuss? Having trouble with that one are'nt you! lf no one gets personal l will elaborate on some negatives associated with full synthetics for the benefit of the wider community. l suggest you keep your mind open in order to understand. l know you are no dill Andy and l know the challenge l face convincing closed minds but l am happy to take the time to discuss the pro's/con's associated with oils. And yes l can tune two cycle carbs, l did not require your youtube vid for that!lol:givebeer:

If you coul get it all to burn like a waste oil heater it would not be an issue as much.....more like slow roast the oil then get it real hot and see.

Once the carbon becomes a solid instead of burning it becomes a problem
Well you did say above the flash point right?

l am not hurt at all, you got any failure you care to discuss? Having trouble with that one are'nt you! lf no one gets personal l will elaborate on some negatives associated with full synthetics for the benefit of the wider community. l suggest you keep your mind open in order to understand. l know you are no dill Andy and l know the challenge l face convincing closed minds but l am happy to take the time to discuss the pro's/con's associated with oils. And yes l can tune two cycle carbs, l did not require your youtube vid for that!lol

I am all ears. Keep in mind I've done more research on the subject than I would like to admit, I simply doubt you have any information on the subject that I haven't already learned. However I'm always open to new information.

Can you explain the starting issues you had with syn oils? that one is new to me.

:
l am not hurt at all, you got any failure you care to discuss? Having trouble with that one are'nt you! lf no one gets personal l will elaborate on some negatives associated with full synthetics for the benefit of the wider community. l suggest you keep your mind open in order to understand. l know you are no dill Andy and l know the challenge l face convincing closed minds but l am happy to take the time to discuss the pro's/con's associated with oils. And yes l can tune two cycle carbs, l did not require your youtube vid for that!lol:givebeer:
Ok you got my attention with thinking outside the box instead of being a dog on a leash following one master

Oh i love the synthetic oils and use them all the time even in the 1950's saws but now im prolly a dumb azz for that too huh. Yeah i said more oil is a good thing and i did say i dont like synthetic for a break inn oil. If all of you are saying dont run more oil cuase youl get a build up of carbon. Well do you use 50 to 1 if thats what the manual calls for? Most likely yes you do. Read through and se if ur owner manuals also say what services required after certain amount of hours like grease clutch bearing. Or change fuel filter well im shure it also says replace ur screen and remove carbon from exhaust port. So if you do get some build up with this oil that oil this amount of oil vs that amount of oil you still have shart to clean up
I never considered nor implied you were dumb.

If you run 50 to 1 I retract my prediction.

You will have more wear than if you used more oil.

If I gave that impression it was not intended.....many people use more oil to reduce wear and it does in fact do that but there are trade offs with
regulations here and many 2 strokes call for more oil in other countries as it helps with wear but they are usually less restrictive exhaust wise.

I am all ears.

Can you explain the starting issues you had with syn oils? that one is new to me.
I have had easier starts with syn oils thick or thin mix. Id say starting issues would be more like weak spark or some extra fuel sitting in the case flooding on a start or vac issues.

In certain instances of damage from carbon buildup would you not consider oil as a factor or just blame the fuel?
lt can be either, a carb tuned to rich or a mix ratio to rich. One culprit also is how operators use their ope, lots of idle, half throttle ect. Carbon is mainly evil to those not rehearsed in removing/checking for it. Don't forget 99.9% of 2cycle equiptment users don't do the maintenence that enthusiasts do, they just run their two cylces as set up from dealer and only check things after a failure has occured and for this reason full synthetics come into play leaving combustion chambers, pistons, sparkplugs cleaner with less build up. That is the main reason oem's reccommend them, not for their lubricating properties.

I never considered nor implied you were dumb.

If I gave that impression it was not intended.....many people use more oil to reduce wear and it does in fact do that but there are trade offs with
regulations here and many 2 strokes call for more oil in other countries as it helps with wear but they are usually less restrictive exhaust wise.
Well when it comes to only 50 to 1 mix i have seen a few concrete saws in very sad shape with jugs bearings and all internals. But im not the guy mixing up the fuel and they do run in very nasty conditions. But i do know thats all the company uses is stihl synthetic.

Back