661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question on operating temps ,a modern car with efi needs to be roughly 195 degrees to get good milage and perform good older ones 160-180 ish with carbs , is there an ideal op temp for a saw to be running at for best performance ,and clean internals ,i know if a car runs too cold it develops sludge inside need to be warmed up to burn that off ,if have too free flowing exhaust letting too much heat out and the saw is running cooler than should be ,does this hurt performance or economy ?

Why not install an EGT probe? That's the best way to gauge combustion/performance. That's what all the snowmobilers use when they tune to the edge.
Can't find one small enough to put in there.

The opinions and results from this thread are quite interesting. From this IMO 710,800,Super M perhaps K2 are on my list but unsure of K2 from the smoke people claim. More toward motul and have since dropped H1R

How clean did you find your internals on 710 vs 800? Did you inspect at all?
Motul 800 will smoke and produce more odor than K2, it's not even close. 710 produces very little smoke, but the smell is somewhat strong. I honestly don't know why people keep saying K2 smells off and produces more smoke than some other oils, it simply Does not!! I will say H1R produces the least smell and smoke, but again it messes with the running and tuning characteristics.

Where do they install one, and what type do they install ?
I'm not an expert by any means on EGT probes but have done some reading. The probe needs to be about 2" from the piston I believe. Guys mount them in the exhaust pipe close to the flange that bolts to the head. For a chainsaw it might be easy because you could get it straight in the exhaust port basically. They are generally K type thermocouples. The biggest problem for a chainsawis likely going to be sourcing a data acquisition system that's small enough to not be cumbersome and idk how it would be powered. I would start with Digatron or RacePak for acquisition systems. Maybe google autometer, westach, or isspro.

Then you just turn your H screw to the exhaust temperature. Around 1290*F is good. Around 1350*F and your starting to push the thermal limit of the piston.

Automotive exhaust temps can reach between 1650-1900 deg at WOT depending on piston design and cooling capability and if a catalyst brick is present. I'm curious to see if a chainsaw exceeds 1100 deg at max load.

That's true, I forgot the numbers I stated are for a liquid cooled snowmobile with a tuned pipe. No doubt there will be some trial and error. You' have to watch piston wash and plug color to read your tune to make sure you don't cross the line.

No it has to be after the exhaust port. Weld the fitting on the muffler close as you can to the flange, it will most likely end up 1/2 to 1 inch from the flange.

Latest posts

Back