661 "recall" vs "new" 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blamo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had the below posted to some guys poor old "sold" listing and wanted to move it over. This was in response to a post on the thread made by Windthrown. He posted the range of serial numbers that are reportedly part of the 661 new production unofficial recall back in 14'.

I just bought a used 661 which was originally purchased new in NY in Sep of 2016. The serial number is 177 735 xxx. So, does this mean that my saw was manufactured in 2014, recalled from an EU market, sent back to Stihl, refitted, mailed to the States, sat on a shelf for 2 years, and then purchased at the end of 2016?

The question is, what happens to all of those serial numbered models? Did it just take 2 years for Stihl to refit this saw until it finally hit the shelf in an Agway in upstate NY? Are there any telling differences between the first run saws and the newer manufactured saws or was all of the refit all internal? I know that a mysterious refit of the 362 took place and you can clearly see the differences. In other words, can you look at a "today" built 661 and tell the difference between a "refitted/recalled" saw?

The saw runs great so far and I feel a little better knowing that it was sold by a dealer in 2016 instead of 2014. So, I am assuming, if it was in fact a first production run saw, that coming through a dealer means it was refitted.

I'd like to know too. Bad cylinder, bad coil, clutch cover cracking the case, seems those were some of the rumoured issues

I heard it was a con rod bearing issue. Fellers would get about a year and blow the lower bearing cage.

owed 13 or 14 661s so far. changes i've seen...

1144B vs 1144C Jug - Can't tell you the difference or if there is one even. I have an 1144B and it is one of the best running saws I have. See pics.

Intake boot - this was a problem for sure. Stihl completely changed the boot. See pics.

coil / control unit - this again was a problem. 4700C 4700D would allow the saw to go too lean...lean seize. 4700E and the newest 4701A have fixed the problem. The 4701A came out like 1.5-2 yrs ago.

Clutch covers - have seen pics of a couple of cracked cases. No one I have talked to (some very smart people) can see how the clutch cover could cause the problem. All parties asked said - user error...most likely prying on his bar. The two pictures I've seen have come out of Canada. I know many of those guys use 36" tsumura light bars. The mount area is smaller on those bars relative to stihl, cannon, oregon, etc. In my opinion, I could see how that smaller mount area and prying on the bar could focus more energy into one spot vs a wider mount where the force would be more spread out.

So how does one tell? Simply take the starter cover off and you can see all that you need to see.

Attachments

• 1144C.JPG
    1144C.JPG
    642.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 1144B.JPG
    1144B.JPG
    649.6 KB · Views: 137
  • new coil.JPG
    new coil.JPG
    543.4 KB · Views: 135
  • new boot.jpg
    new boot.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 141
  • old boot.JPG
    old boot.JPG
    488.9 KB · Views: 123
I had the below posted to some guys poor old "sold" listing and wanted to move it over. This was in response to a post on the thread made by Windthrown. He posted the range of serial numbers that are reportedly part of the 661 new production unofficial recall back in 14'.

I just bought a used 661 which was originally purchased new in NY in Sep of 2016. The serial number is 177 735 xxx. So, does this mean that my saw was manufactured in 2014, recalled from an EU market, sent back to Stihl, refitted, mailed to the States, sat on a shelf for 2 years, and then purchased at the end of 2016?

The question is, what happens to all of those serial numbered models? Did it just take 2 years for Stihl to refit this saw until it finally hit the shelf in an Agway in upstate NY? Are there any telling differences between the first run saws and the newer manufactured saws or was all of the refit all internal? I know that a mysterious refit of the 362 took place and you can clearly see the differences. In other words, can you look at a "today" built 661 and tell the difference between a "refitted/recalled" saw?

The saw runs great so far and I feel a little better knowing that it was sold by a dealer in 2016 instead of 2014. So, I am assuming, if it was in fact a first production run saw, that coming through a dealer means it was refitted.
give me the serial number, I can look up the number and see.

Thanks for all of the feedback fellas. I was even joking with the guy I bought it from saying that I am glad that the saw was a 2016 model as I was concerned it could have been a lemon from the initial run. Of course, I have not heard of any of those saws actually getting put out into circulation without the dealer taking care of the issues. It seemed like a mysterious plague where Stihl pulled everything back or markets were just delayed in getting the 661. One of those, "I heard from a friends former girlfriends uncle that he owned a new production 661 that blew up". Never any pictures and I have never heard of any saws that got missed on the "recall" being resold. At the time, I remember thinking that Stihl pulled a boner but now that I look back...they played it masterfully. Of course, if my saw blows up, then my opinion would change.

I will post later tonight the serial number and take a picture of the rear handle sticker. To be sure, your talking about the sticker that you would step on if you were starting your saw like a wuss?

I bought a 661 with a serial # in the range of the recall (made in 2013). Initially I was worried but after seeing it had obviously been gone over. ie. it had a 1144c jug, new boot, and 4701A coil. It was the best stock 661 I have ever come across. If I had more brains I would of kept it.

Well... not sure what to think about all this. It looks like the saw has the old boot, the old coil, and the old jug? I attached the pic of the sticker on the handle and a pic of the serial number. It looks like the serial number was punched with an X...not sure what that means.

I don't think the guy who bought it knew. I mentioned something about also looking at an 880 and this saw for milling and he didn't know what an 880 was. He said he bought the saw at the direction of a lumberman to clear some land of some big money oaks and no longer needed the saw.

Wanted to run it tomorrow but now I am not sure what to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    983.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    901 KB · Views: 96
Update...I took the saw into my local dealer and he looked up the serial number. He could not find any issues with any of the parts and nothing in the system to indicate anything needed to be changed or swapped out. In looking at all of the posts during the time of the "recall" it would seem that no problem saws ever made it to the US market. Stihl is not saying what the issue was and I can see how, if a part number on a latter saw is numbered differently, someone would think that the change was because of that part? Like "look, I just bought a brand new saw and my coil number is different than Jims saw which was bought in 2014. That has to be the problem". It would be nice if someone can actually say that their sawed burned up because of the "XYZ" numbered coil and the dealer said that was the issue. So far, I cannot find any posts reporting that"

Also, the dealer said the warranty on the saw is still good until 9/2018. So, I am just going to run it.

Absolute fact:

Fuel values on the 4701a and 4700e are higher than 4700c 4700d. Call stihl tech. If you don't believe me.

My first Gen 661 charges much harder than the later models with all the updates. Harder you push it the better she runs. Not one problem.

As I know with the first 661`s: There were issues with the gilardoni cylinder and piston that the plating was not right and caused sometimes engine damage. Therefore the piston and cylinder, gasket and intake manifold were replaced. Also some control units didn`t produce spark sometimes when hot and machines died. Some did get to much fuel. For the new parts was a kit availible that the dealers had to order. The old parts had to be sent back with the mdg protokoll and test run curve.

Absolute fact:

Fuel values on the 4701a and 4700e are higher than 4700c 4700d. Call stihl tech. If you don't believe me.

I just got around to checking the coil on my 661 and it's a 4700C, so I'm going to assume I best change it out. Best bet to buy it through the dealer? I can't tell that it's burning lean at all, but I have opened the muffler up on it. If I remember right it was built 10/13.

Please excuse me, but what was the “mysterious refit of the 362” all about?

I have an early 362 which is still basically new. I would like to fix it if it has inherent flaws that I should know about..

Thanks!

I just got around to checking the coil on my 661 and it's a 4700C, so I'm going to assume I best change it out. Best bet to buy it through the dealer? I can't tell that it's burning lean at all, but I have opened the muffler up on it. If I remember right it was built 10/13.

stihl tech told me that the 4700c 4700d are fully warrantable. ie. free. anyone tells u different is lying.

I did 4 or 5 of them on my 661s.

Back