661 "recall" vs "new" 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stihl tech told me that the 4700c 4700d are fully warrantable. ie. free. anyone tells u different is lying.

I did 4 or 5 of them on my 661s.

Thank you, I'll be making a call to the dealer to inform them, and see what they say.

owed 13 or 14 661s so far. changes i've seen...

1144B vs 1144C Jug - Can't tell you the difference or if there is one even. I have an 1144B and it is one of the best running saws I have. See pics.

Intake boot - this was a problem for sure. Stihl completely changed the boot. See pics.

coil / control unit - this again was a problem. 4700C 4700D would allow the saw to go too lean...lean seize. 4700E and the newest 4701A have fixed the problem. The 4701A came out like 1.5-2 yrs ago.

Clutch covers - have seen pics of a couple of cracked cases. No one I have talked to (some very smart people) can see how the clutch cover could cause the problem. All parties asked said - user error...most likely prying on his bar. The two pictures I've seen have come out of Canada. I know many of those guys use 36" tsumura light bars. The mount area is smaller on those bars relative to stihl, cannon, oregon, etc. In my opinion, I could see how that smaller mount area and prying on the bar could focus more energy into one spot vs a wider mount where the force would be more spread out.

So how does one tell? Simply take the starter cover off and you can see all that you need to see.

Dropped it off today, they're going to order in the coil and intake boot. Was hoping they'd just order the parts and let me do the work but they said they need the saw. I opened the muffler up quite a bit so I'd imagine they'll notice it, but shouldn't be an issue. I could understand if the piston/cylinder were damaged they'd refuse warranty. I didn't have time to pop off the muffler cover and look for myself but I doubt it.

I bought a 661 with a serial # in the range of the recall (made in 2013). Initially I was worried but after seeing it had obviously been gone over. ie. it had a 1144c jug, new boot, and 4701A coil. It was the best stock 661 I have ever come across. If I had more brains I would of kept it.
I just checked mine, It was made late 2013. Has the 1144c jug with the new boot Not sure on the coil tho.

Got the saw back, has a 4702 A coil on it as well as the straight intake boot. Haven't ran it in wood yet, did start it up and seems to run pretty rough, I'm sure that'll change once it sinks into something.

Saw definitely runs richer, according to the ears anyways. Obviously can't make a comparison, but has plenty of power, was running 36" semi chisel through some american elm today and it's still amazing how fast it chews through that. Does like to stall though, I'm pretty sure it's "tuned" right as I've made plenty of cuts but it's no issue to me so far.

Back