7/16" Chain - What's the Going Rate?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott ,

To answer your question on the chain I echo basically what undee said in that it depends on what it fits. That is what is the driver count. I am not saying it is but the 7/16 MAY be the rarest of all common chain to find. With that being said that in no way makes it the most valuable and putting a price on it is hard. Think about how many saws require 7/16 and how many folks own them. It is rare and if you have a rare item that few people need it makes it not so valuable. That in NO WAY is trying to take away from what you have. ZERO disrespect is intended.

I need to add that I started to watch one of your videos but could not finish. It was very good!!! The ole 6.9 is a forgotten engine. My brother had one with a banks turbo in a F350 dually. He changed vehicles like folks change underwear so it did not last long. I think it left in 1993

Scott ,

To answer your question on the chain I echo basically what undee said in that it depends on what it fits. That is what is the driver count. I am not saying it is but the 7/16 MAY be the rarest of all common chain to find. With that being said that in no way makes it the most valuable and putting a price on it is hard. Think about how many saws require 7/16 and how many folks own them. It is rare and if you have a rare item that few people need it makes it not so valuable. That in NO WAY is trying to take away from what you have. ZERO disrespect is intended.

Bill - thanks for the detailed response. I threw it all up on eBay; will keep dropping the price until it sells.

Scott

I need to add that I started to watch one of your videos but could not finish. It was very good!!! The ole 6.9 is a forgotten engine. My brother had one with a banks turbo in a F350 dually. He changed vehicles like folks change underwear so it did not last long. I think it left in 1993

Thanks! Really appreciate the feedback! These are awesome old trucks; I'm working on the replacement engine - 7.3 IDI-Turbo - today. Should be posting episode 3 in a few days.

Scott

My oldest son was dead set on having a diesel truck for his first vehicle. We searched around and could not find any reasonably priced. This was in 2012-13. He watched craigslist all the time. Well finally a couple popped up that were possibilities. I called the guys and we were going to go look at them on a Saturday morning. The first was a 1997 F350 4 door 8 ft bed single wheel (of course 4x4). The second was a 1999 F250 extended cab shortbed. Now there is a huge difference in those trucks. We took off to go look at the F350 first and then when finished I was supposed to call the owner of the F250 for directions. The first truck was about 35 miles away and the second was another 35 miles further. Well we looked at the first truck and I was not impressed. It was rough. In my mind I had already decided on the second one. Well we took of and I kept calling the next guy and he did not answer. We just headed in his general direction and I kept trying. Well he finally picked up but gave me some crap story about how his brother was going to buy the truck. The truth is he underpriced the truck on craigslist and realized it.

Now a couple weeks later we ended up just buying the big ole F350 4 door with a 7.3. I forgot to add it was a 5 speed also. Isn't that the perfect vehicle for a teenage boy? It was a huge money pit but also a learning experience for my son. He drove it through high school and the start of college but it got so bad he parked it. He ended of selling back to the guy we bought it from. I real funny end to this story is that truck is still running and maybe back here in a couple weeks as I am try to get the guy to do some hauling for me.

My oldest son was dead set on having a diesel truck for his first vehicle. We searched around and could not find any reasonably priced. This was in 2012-13. He watched craigslist all the time. Well finally a couple popped up that were possibilities. I called the guys and we were going to go look at them on a Saturday morning. The first was a 1997 F350 4 door 8 ft bed single wheel (of course 4x4). The second was a 1999 F250 extended cab shortbed. Now there is a huge difference in those trucks. We took off to go look at the F350 first and then when finished I was supposed to call the owner of the F250 for directions. The first truck was about 35 miles away and the second was another 35 miles further. Well we looked at the first truck and I was not impressed. It was rough. In my mind I had already decided on the second one. Well we took of and I kept calling the next guy and he did not answer. We just headed in his general direction and I kept trying. Well he finally picked up but gave me some crap story about how his brother was going to buy the truck. The truth is he underpriced the truck on craigslist and realized it.

Now a couple weeks later we ended up just buying the big ole F350 4 door with a 7.3. I forgot to add it was a 5 speed also. Isn't that the perfect vehicle for a teenage boy? It was a huge money pit but also a learning experience for my son. He drove it through high school and the start of college but it got so bad he parked it. He ended of selling back to the guy we bought it from. I real funny end to this story is that truck is still running and maybe back here in a couple weeks as I am try to get the guy to do some hauling for me.

Sounds kind of like the F250 that I drove in high school - had a 460 and C6, supercab, short bed, 2WD. Ugly and a bit beat up, but I learned a lot working on it.

A '97 F350 crew cab long bed SRW 4x4 with a 7.3 and ZF-5 is a great truck! The PS 7.3 is a fantastic engine, but they generally require a fair bit of upkeep.

The 7.3 IDI was a fantastic engine. I had a naturally aspirated '93 extended cab with a ZF5. It was a work horse. It pulled better than the 2000 F350 crew cab that I have now, but the kids were getting too big for the back seat of the extended cab, and the body was getting rough. Would have loved to have had a turbo on that IDI though. Best engine Ford ever put in a truck, hands down.

The 7.3 IDI was a fantastic engine. I had a naturally aspirated '93 extended cab with a ZF5. It was a work horse. It pulled better than the 2000 F350 crew cab that I have now, but the kids were getting too big for the back seat of the extended cab, and the body was getting rough. Would have loved to have had a turbo on that IDI though. Best engine Ford ever put in a truck, hands down.
Were the newer (92 up) extended cabs 3rd doors or were they still jump seats My only extended cabs were a 2002 Dodge 2500 and a 2003 F250 which were all 4 door "suicide"

I spent most of the day yesterday working on a new-to-me 7.3 IDI turbo from a 1994 dually. I plan to disassemble today and check it out. If the taper in the bores is within spec, I plan to hone it, new rings and bearings, and reassemble. Hope to post a new video on my channel in a few days.

Latest posts

Back