7.5 foot stump with alpine magnum 088

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAASTUMPSERVICE

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I COMPLETELY OVER ESTIMATED HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE ME TO GRIND THIS BIG ONE BUT HEY I DID IT! VERY ROCKY...3 SETS OF TEETH... I'M LOOKING FOR A HIGH HP BIG GRINDER NOW! I UNDERSTAND ITS A SMALL GRINDER BUT I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION IT WAS CAPEABLE TO DO THE LARGE JOB GUESS I WAS WRONG!!!!!! IT WORKS GOOD FOR THE SMALL STUFF BUT ANYTHING OVER 3 FEET W/ ROCKS I'M GOING TO HAVE TO RENT A MACHINE UNTIL I BUY A CARLTON SP7015.

HOW DOES EVERYONE ELSE LIKE THIER ALPINE? HAVE YOU DONE LARGE JOBS LIKE THIS ONE? WHAT WERE YOUR RESULTS AND HOW MANY SETS OF TEETH HAVE YOU GONE THROUGH?

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa399/AAASTUMPSERVICE/IMG00500-20110126-1437-1.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa399/AAASTUMPSERVICE/IMG00501-20110126-1437.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa399/AAASTUMPSERVICE/IMG00508-20110128-1417.jpg

Last edited:
at least ya got it done, for stuff like that and bigger you'll need a larger grinder, i run a 7015 trx, with a sandvik duradisc, would have mow'd that in under a hour easy. i a'm thinking on getting an alpine for real small stuff and hard to get one's. looks like ya got it done.

Dude- You Have Ambition! If your going to buy a grinder buy a big one. As big as u can afford practically speaking. I'd try to get a diesel. You will never say to yourself, "wow I think this machine has too much hp" It always, "I wish I'd a bought a bigger grinder". I run an rg90 with green teeth. The Carlton's are also very nice with the tracks, direct drive, remote and what not.

4 hours prep work, digging and cutting it down with the 660 magnum and about 4 hours of grinding. It was a tough one! Sweat'n my ass off! I will not be doing another large stump with this machine haha!

dam! thats alot of work, heres one that took about 2-1/2 hours , 20" down , lots of chips, didn't have to haul them out but had to move some out of the way .View attachment 170478 p.s. that didn't include dropping that pig, and the nice thing about the carlton is i can push thoughs rounds out of my way.

Last edited:
View attachment 170479 try to get some more, hard to do when i'm by my self , and need a new camara, and the one on my phone is broke, will take more as the season pics up. should have taken alot of pics but never thought of it before finding these fourums to share them on . i know some people like the wheeled grinders , but the tracked versions will get it almost any where.it will go through a 37" opening, and realy soft ground it is real hard to get stuck. and turf is not that bad i just throw down some plywood for sharp turns.

LOL AAA u r a savage! I didnt realize what an "alpine magnum 088" was. I def know now. No offense but I LOLed when I saw that picture. But u got it done! I dont have any braggen room thats for sure. I have a carlton 2300 w/greenteeth (I dont care for em either) . My buddy who does most of my bigger stumps has a sp7015 and man ..thats what I want. His is wheeled. That thing eats stumps like there's no tomorrow.

4 hours prep work, digging and cutting it down with the 660 magnum and about 4 hours of grinding. It was a tough one! Sweat'n my ass off! I will not be doing another large stump with this machine haha!

That even makes me feel better... knowing you won't try that again that is. The worst I tried was being out all day with a Promark. Once I rented a Praxius for some small vine stumps.... WRONG! Carlton should work just a little better.

I COMPLETELY OVER ESTIMATED HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE ME TO GRIND THIS BIG ONE BUT HEY I DID IT! [/url]

Did you OVER estimate the time, meaning you did the work in less time than you estimated, or did you UNDER estimate the time, meaning you took longer than expected?

I have an Alpine with the Solo powerhead and I love that little machine. I have a large banyan stump job with lots of surface roots coming up in 3 weeks. It encompasses an area of 12'x12', but the stump itself is under 36". My bid was $1600 for the stump grinding. I will be using the Alpine, since no access for a large grinder to get to the stump.

I thaught I would finish sooner...I couldn't cut it flush with the ground it was very hard and filled with rocks so I had to grind a foot and a half of stump 7.5 feet across with the little grinder so it took a long time! I lost out big time on this job...not even going to say what I charged for this job, I don't want you to fall out of your chairs laughing haha! I'm not use to these big stumps so I didn't bid it out right. Now I have a new understanding on how to bid larger jobs and I know what my machine is meant for ( 3 foot and under stumps). I dram about that 7015 haha! If this year is good to me next year I will have a bad ass brand new Carlton!!

I COMPLETELY OVER ESTIMATED HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE ME TO GRIND THIS BIG ONE BUT HEY I DID IT! VERY ROCKY...3 SETS OF TEETH... I'M LOOKING FOR A HIGH HP BIG GRINDER NOW! I UNDERSTAND ITS A SMALL GRINDER BUT I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION IT WAS CAPEABLE TO DO THE LARGE JOB GUESS I WAS WRONG!!!!!! IT WORKS GOOD FOR THE SMALL STUFF BUT ANYTHING OVER 3 FEET W/ ROCKS I'M GOING TO HAVE TO RENT A MACHINE UNTIL I BUY A CARLTON SP7015.

HOW DOES EVERYONE ELSE LIKE THIER ALPINE? HAVE YOU DONE LARGE JOBS LIKE THIS ONE? WHAT WERE YOUR RESULTS AND HOW MANY SETS OF TEETH HAVE YOU GONE THROUGH?

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa399/AAASTUMPSERVICE/IMG00500-20110126-1437-1.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa399/AAASTUMPSERVICE/IMG00501-20110126-1437.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa399/AAASTUMPSERVICE/IMG00508-20110128-1417.jpg

Dang, man. You took a butter knife to a gun fight.
Even thoughI have yellow jackets on my little 252,I still try to sub those big daddy's to somebody with a bigger machine.

:cheers: for getting her done though.

Latest posts

Back