7 cords so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLROOT

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Cut split and stacked. I would like to see that doubled before the really hot weather gets here. have a job in a couple of weeks to clear a house site and 200' of driveway. This will be split 50/50 with one other guy. It should be a lot of wood. Its only a mile from the house so gas won't be too much. Its maple cherry and oak. Not a bad score. It has to be done quickly though so they can start building.

Not bad; I have a cord at the moment (still need to process it). Falling behind this season so far, I guess the next couple of weekends are going to be full of firewood gathering. I need another 6 – 7 cords for myself and was thinking about 4 -5 cords for my in-laws (was going to get them 7 cords, but as my bro in-law pointed out, his Mom is to lazy to load the damn fire, damn shame to burn money when your son in-law drops off firewood).

I will be burning a mixture of white oak, cherry, maple and some red pine this year. How about everyone else?

I've got 5.5 to 6 cords put up so far. There is another 3-4 laying in the yard that still has to be split. If I'm at 10 when all the splitting is done in the next couple of weeks, I'll have 2 bad winters worth of wood or 3 mild winters in a row worth of wood.

only two here so far will need 4 more. got two left at the neighbors just having trouble finding time latley to get it. Hoping for next week some time

I am at 10 so far, 7 of which is cut split and stacked, 3 more cut and split and piled with a cover over it, waiting for a shelter to be built. I want to have 14 all together by fall so I have enough for 2 years or more and then maintain that amount.

I would like to be where I do not burn any oil at all. Right now I need it just for hot water but I may look into other options to eliminate that as well.

Dave:cheers:

Last edited:
i've got absolutely none stocked up for myself. cut, split and delivered 3 cord on friday. sold 12 last week.

I've got 4+ split and stacked on pallets drying since mid April (although it was in quarters all winter). Another 2 is in rounds too be split. That's my 08-09 winter's wood. Everything else I gather now will be rounds or quartered for 2 years out. I try to go every sat morning with my neighbor. Bit of a ritual. He's an old Logger from way back but has good connections for permissions and knows some great spots. He lost a leg too diabetes a few years ago and although he tries hard,(He's 73) I usually get my truck loaded and then do half of his.
It's a good workout for me, plus him and his wife being on a fixed income, this heating oil crisis has hit them hard. The latest heating oil contract around here is $4.45 a gal!:mad: That's now begining of summer! Can't imagine whats going to happen this winter? Scary.

We found a nice stash last Sat of maple logs sandwiched between some cedars that were the bottoms of some large skids in a yard from a couple of years ago. We had to cantdog them up and out too saw up. He stepped through and went up too his knee in muck. His leg then came off. I looked over and almost lost it! :jawdrop: He had a good sense of humor about it though as we fished the prost leg out and popped it back on. Guess you had to be there:cheers: but the maple logs were good stuff with the bark just starting to fall off. Split, they're nearly good to burn now. :clap:

3cords dry/split/stacked under tin. 13'x7'x20" (3)

4-5 cords of oak/cherry/ash/elm split and piled high/long since early April or March. Just have to stack it so it gets more air/sun to be ready for this winter.

Hopefully, after the above is stacked and quantity verified, all of my future efforts will be for 2009/10 , so I can get back to having plenty of time for the wood to season well.
This past winter really got me sitting on my laurels, and limited my access to the woods. And this cool spring has been a Godsend for getting this type of work done/caught up.

My goal is to have 20 cords split/stacked by this winter, maybe sell a couple too.

I've got 2.5 maple, gray birch, popple, beech and well-seasoned oak cut, split, and stacked in the barn plus a cord of red oak sitting in a very sunny spot outside, which I'll move indoors in Sept. or early Oct. About half a cord of mixed hardwoods sitting in a pile in need of stacking.

There's a logging site with some tree tops and log length hardwood on my commute route I need to get cutting on to have enough for this winter.

Zodiac's point about the cost of oil is spot on. Wifey and I are talking about closing off a real drafty room downstairs to tighten the house up - an addition with 35-year old drafty windows that were installed when oil was like .40/gallon.

The in-laws are planning to move their bed downstairs and seal of the unneeded upstairs of their big 200 year old cape to maximize the warmth put off by their stove.

This winter's going to be very difficult for those who don't have heating options and don't have enough income for skyrocketing energy costs.

I've got 3 cords of oak and maple split, stacked and tarped. 2 rows deep and 6' high to save space. Seems this should let it season a little faster too. We need 4-5 for the winter and luckily I've already got it I just have to process it.

There's a pile of wood in my driveway that seems to be growing in direct proportion to the amout of wood that I get cut and stacked. I'm not complaining but with my little 455 Rancher and doing all of the splitting with axe, maul, wedges and with limited time, I don't think I'm going to have the last split stacked for about a month. I get through just under/over a face cord a night so long as I don't run into any really gnarly wood. I'm using it as my workout program - My wife understands a workout better than she understands getting ready for winter in May. - and cut/split for 1-2 hours per night. I'm definitely sleeping better and after a couple of weeks I think my pants are starting to fit better too.

Speaking her language

I get through just under/over a face cord a night so long as I don't run into any really gnarly wood. I'm using it as my workout program - My wife understands a workout better than she understands getting ready for winter in May. - and cut/split for 1-2 hours per night. I'm definitely sleeping better and after a couple of weeks I think my pants are starting to fit better too.

Good for you!

I have 4 cord cut split and stacked and about half a grapple cut and ready to split. Once I split the rounds I should have enough room on the landing to cut the other half of the grapple and have two years worth of wood. Some of it is red oak so it could use the time.

As of this past long weekend, I now have a little over 5 cords and my partner has just over 11, all cut, split and stacked. We have probably another 6, already on his yard, before we start bringing more "home" to work up for sale.

Ours is about 15% maple, 5% yellow poplar, 50% red oak & 30% hickory. The 6 waiting to be cut is all hickory.

somewhere around 30 cords so far. sold about half of it.

have about 10 cords of logs left, should last me another week while doing the landscape jobs that are starting to come in.

doug

Firewood Piles

Five cords cut, split and stacked. Another cord cut and split. A 36 inch dbh red oak blow down from 2 years ago on the hit list next.

Neighbor has a 2 acres of hardwood he wants cleared. I would never clear all the trees off this land if it was mine, but I will take the wood for winter of 2009-2010.

I put up 18 full cord, finished 2 weeks ago. Did 1/2 cord a day, all stacked & covered on top. 5 or 6 of it will be for sale this winter when oil goes to ???????????? - :dizzy:

Yea I'm swearing off of heating oil all together. I might have to put gas in my truck but I'll burn cow chips before they get another dime for fuel oil.

Five cords cut, split and stacked. Another cord cut and split. A 36 inch dbh red oak blow down from 2 years ago on the hit list next.

Neighbor has a 2 acres of hardwood he wants cleared. I would never clear all the trees off this land if it was mine, but I will take the wood for winter of 2009-2010.

Anything with a good trunk, could be some lumber in it for you. But then you'd have to buy some more chainsaw attachments.:)

I have already been eying up the milling and saw mill forum. A large bar and an Alaskan type mill are in my future. I come across a lot of bigger oak and a friend has two large cherry trees he wants removed :clap: .

Back