7 tooth or 8 tooth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeoTree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm running a 056 magII with a 28" b/c . i bought it with an 8 tooth rim sprocket, i beleive. It rips right now pretty good, but do you think this is the best sprocket tooth count / bar combo. Somtimes i throw a 36" on for bigger stuff a couple times a year, and when i'm feeling really inspired i put the 270 down and grab the 20" bar for the 56 and zip thru some firewood. I guess i'm just looking for the best compromise, 95% of it's use is with a 28" b/c so thats what i would like to maximize.

I run an 8 you get more teeth cutting per rpm. saves on gas.

But what you gain in RPM you lose in torque, which isn't an issue with shorter bars on a big saw like that, but I'm thinking 36" is really pushing it.

It might pull OK with a skip chain. The other question is, what pitch of chain are you running? 8-pin 3/8" is debatable; I wouldn't even think of a 36" .404 chain running on an 8. 28" is right in the territory where you could try an 8-pin with skip chain or a 7-pin with full-house chain to see which cuts faster though. I've tried both on my Husky 181 and its 28" bar, and cut times are pretty similar in the wood I deal with here. Eastern hardwoods are a different animal though.

I run a 28 inch bar on my 044 with an 8 tooth sproket all the time , threw a 36 on it yesterday full comp chain 36 it was laborin hard ...28 inch on an 056 mag ,, 8 tooth all day long and wouldnt think twice..

I rarely put a 36" bar on my o44. only when the 066 is in for repairs!!
I would lean towards a 7 pin on the 044. I have done it and will do it when need be(putting a 36" bar on the 044.) but would not want to do it all the time.

I second blsnelling!

The 36 i was refering to is for my 064 and 066 , one was straight gasses by a friend , the other crankbearings went , so im down to a 044 ,

Normaly my 044 pulls a 28 inch bar with a 8 tooth, pulls it nicely

056s pull line a mule , 8 tooth would be no problem for this one ,

Right now I am running 8 tooth on my 026 w/16" bar,441 w/20" bar and 066 w/ 24" bar they all have more speed and still enough torque. If the 066 goes past that I use 7 tooth but my next bar is 30" and usualy only use longer than 24" on it to mill with.The 056 I use to have would run fine with a 28" and 8 tooth as long as you use it accordingly as in do not push it in the wood as I perfer to let the chainsaw and a sharp chain do the work and not push the saw into the wood.:chainsaw:

Back