Husqvarna 372 with an 8 tooth sprocket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

link

Gone fishing
Reaction score
I use my 70cc chainsaw primarily to mill spruce and dont need any more than a 20" guide bar, most of the time I could probably do with an 18".
How would an 8 tooth sprocket be compared to a 7 tooth in that regard?

It would bog down easy. Steve
Do you think it would be any point at all to use an 8 tooth with a skip chain compared to 7 tooth with a regular mill chain, or is that just twisting around to basically achieve the same thing? Obviously I want a smooth cut so I guess that would be like swimming against the current - or something like that.

I tried that once with I think it was my first 372, the 372xpw (that I put a standard handle on. In case you don't remember that version, it had another cc or so, that's why I did that) and it didn't like it. Maybe you gained chain speed but she lost her grunt. I didn't run it long like that. No good. You would of had to really baby it and hold it back. That was just cutting too. For milling I could only imagine how miserable that would be. They are cheap enough to try but haha I can save you the time and the few bucks and tell you, I bet it wouldn't last a full minute on that saw until you went back to the oem rim.

I just had a 20" bar too by the way. I couldn't stand the loss of grunt and how weak she felt. It's been a long time, but if others prefer an 8 rim on the 70cc's I guess I get it, but it wasn't for me. Just not enough nuts. I couldn't stand using a powerful saw that you had to "help" cut, if you know what I mean. Best way to describe it. For milling, I don't understand how anyone would think that would be advised though. I mean, I wouldn't even bother trying, I just know how poor the results would be for you, but you're not out much to give it a go. Just don't burn your saw up. I don't think she'd like that long term.

Thanks for your reply, this all seems logical. I would probably not be happy with an 8 tooth sprocket.

The reason I use a 70cc for this and not a 660 is as you can see - its a really lightweight and portable setup and its small to medium spruce and not big hardwood.
The wood usually maxes at about 18" at the lower end, sometimes they are bigger but I rarely get to mill the bigger spruce.
RIMG0142.JPG RIMG0145.JPG RIMG0150.JPG
My neigbor use a 661, but he has the saw running on a rail on a proper aluminum frame mill so he dont need to hold it up with he's left hand.
The Granberg Alaskan mini mill is extremely practical, lightweight and portable, but you dont have a lot of counterweight for the powerhead.

I tried that once with I think it was my first 372, the 372xpw (that I put a standard handle on. In case you don't remember that version, it had another cc or so, that's why I did that) and it didn't like it. Maybe you gained chain speed but she lost her grunt. I didn't run it long like that. No good. You would of had to really baby it and hold it back. That was just cutting too. For milling I could only imagine how miserable that would be. They are cheap enough to try but haha I can save you the time and the few bucks and tell you, I bet it wouldn't last a full minute on that saw until you went back to the oem rim.

I just had a 20" bar too by the way. I couldn't stand the loss of grunt and how weak she felt. It's been a long time, but if others prefer an 8 rim on the 70cc's I guess I get it, but it wasn't for me. Just not enough nuts. I couldn't stand using a powerful saw that you had to "help" cut, if you know what I mean. Best way to describe it. For milling, I don't understand how anyone would think that would be advised though. I mean, I wouldn't even bother trying, I just know how poor the results would be for you, but you're not out much to give it a go. Just don't burn your saw up. I don't think she'd like that long term.
372xp oe is 70 cc...... xpw 75cc

372xp oe is 70 cc...... xpw 75cc
It was a whole 5 cc difference uh? Been a while since she's been replaced I guess. Went to re-buy another though, I remember asking for it but he said you could only get the regular now. Took it back to work and it felt just the same. I couldn't tell the difference. Makes sense though I suppose, she must of lost some grunt over the years of course, so a new saw with 5 cc less would pretty much feel the same as tired one with a bit less.
Well no matter, even with the 75cc version, she didn't like the 8 pin either.

Interesting of Husky. They should of kept the 75cc version and just put a standard handle on it and offered it with a wrap optional, but I've been enjoying my 70cc equally as I did the 75, so. Even when I brought out the big bar for it to get into big stuff, I didn't notice a difference either. I guess that close, you'd have to run two fresh ones right side by side to see it. I still have it, for parts backup for my 70cc version. Haven't needed any of 'em yet though, knock on wood.

It was a whole 5 cc difference uh? Been a while since she's been replaced I guess. Went to re-buy another though, I remember asking for it but he said you could only get the regular now. Took it back to work and it felt just the same. I couldn't tell the difference. Makes sense though I suppose, she must of lost some grunt over the years of course, so a new saw with 5 cc less would pretty much feel the same as tired one with a bit less.
Well no matter, even with the 75cc version, she didn't like the 8 pin either.

Interesting of Husky. They should of kept the 75cc version and just put a standard handle on it and offered it with a wrap optional, but I've been enjoying my 70cc equally as I did the 75, so. Even when I brought out the big bar for it to get into big stuff, I didn't notice a difference either. I guess that close, you'd have to run two fresh ones right side by side to see it. I still have it, for parts backup for my 70cc version. Haven't needed any of 'em yet though, knock on wood.
my xpw

Attachments

• part0-2.jpg
    part0-2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 2
  • part0.jpg
    part0.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 2
Back