700ft to one of my pole buildings to boiler run line or build another boiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
by the time the boiling water travels through 700 ft of line, through a 100x60 pole building and into your home, im doubting the water will be very warm.

I wouldnt do it. why not move the boiler?

The taco rep said it cant be done but if I try it use a taco pump #vm0202B
One engineer told me to use a Bell and Gossett pump #pl55 which is a 60 series half horsepower
Another engineer told me to use two taco 2400-20's one at the boiler and one at the top of the hill
The largest central boiler dealer in my state said that he has guys running that distance currently with 40ft of hill between them and he is running a taco 009 just one pump at the bottom. But he said if it were him he would run a taco 009 at the boiler pushing (which is the lowpoint) and one just inside the shed on top of the hill pulling.
The only thing that they all agreed on was that line size should be 1.5" min and the other thing they all agreed on was that none of them wanted to garuntee any of what they just told me. All in all the large central dealer was the friendliest and the most experienced when it comes to real world situations. He also has 30 yrs of experience.
I am mulling it over for a while.

I think you can beat the price of 20.00ft by close to half but I'm not sure you could'nt buy a c.b. and a short run of pipe for close to the same money.I could be wrong as I have'nt priced since I put mine in 6 years ago. Scott

pump idea??

this just an idea and i have no idea if it would work or not. could you hook up a pump off of a hot pressure washer? it would have the ability to builb enough pressure to over come any friction losses. i think you would have to play with motor size to get enough flow.

What kind of pipe is it?? Gold lined? Platnium coated? That sounds high to me.

I was just guessing using two runs of 1" logstar @ $10/ft. When I installed my lines many years ago bare 1" pex was $5/ft. which was a rip off price in my mind.
It appears 1 1/2" pex is in the neighborhood of $3/ft so I guess trenched and foamed in place it's probably half my first guesstimate.

With an open system wouldn't the vent on the original boiler need to be above the highest point of the entire system?

I was just guessing using two runs of 1" logstar @ $10/ft. When I installed my lines many years ago bare 1" pex was $5/ft. which was a rip off price in my mind.
It appears 1 1/2" pex is in the neighborhood of $3/ft so I guess trenched and foamed in place it's probably half my first guesstimate.

With an open system wouldn't the vent on the original boiler need to be above the highest point of the entire system?

Man that sounds like a lot of cabbage. I can buy 1'' PEX or HDPE for about .60 a foot. Ive never even seen an OWB and have no clue how they work. We have mild winters and I guess its a lot of money for no longer than its cold here. Didnt know they had to be foamed either. Guess its for insulation.?

I'm not a mechanical engineer. But with installing my OWB I chose to go with a primary/secondary system and I had to learn a lot about fluid dynamics to design the system. My OWB is 250 feet from the house.

There is no way you will be happy with the performance you would get with a 700 foot run. Keep in mind, that's not a 700 foot run its a 1,400 foot run because when sizing a pump you're looking at the distance its moving water in the complete round-trip circuit (700 feet to the building, 700 feet back to the boiler). A pump can only move so much water through a given diameter pipe. Distance and the number of elbows have to be factored in because they reduce flow. Now when you run into your heat exchanger, unless you do a primary/secondary design like mine, you're reducing the diameter to probably 3/4 inch or less. Talk about killing the flow rate.

The reason flow rate is so important is because that is how you get your BTUs to the heat exchanger. In other words, if you're only moving 3 gallons per minute you can't pull the same BTUs out of that water that you could if you're moving 10 gallons per minute. You want to have more rate of flow than you need. That way you are able to use all available BTUs for your heating needs. I used Grundfos 3-speed pumps because it allowed me to fine tune my system. I could change the flow rate as easily as moving the switch to a new position.

The reason you won't be happy with your 700 (1,400) foot run is you can't move enough water over the distance and a bigger pump only gets you so far. In your case, not far enough. Don't do it.

Sure, it can be done, but why? Between the cost of the pipe, insulation, the large pumps required, it's not worth considering IMO....and I is a heating professional.

I just really did not want to feed 2 boilers. Other options are Geo thermal cost estimate $17000 / running lines 700ft. with pumps and all it entales cost estimate$10000 or more / build new large boiler cost etimate $5000. One other thing I have to keep in mind is that once I purchase and bury those lines that is where they will stay. A boiler on the other hand can be moved or sold when I am done with it. Just something to consider. I have time to think about it. Thanks everyone for your input.

Did you try running the taco equation that shows head loss etc and helps you pick a pump? It might help put things into light. It proved to me what the taco tech explained to me on the phone, that going up doesn't matter in a close loop like this because your going down also. Run the equation and it becomes clear that raise doesn't matter in a closed loop...it doesn't enter into the equation, literally. I go over 200 feet each way and up and over the roof of my shop to get to my house.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/SelectingCirculators.pdf

Latest posts

Back