70cc saw opinions based on these factors...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This 👆🏼 just If stihl got the av and airfilter set up better.
I never liked Stihl anything since my Old MS260 , only because of a less than stellar dealership network locally . I find the 400 as the only really intriguing saw that they have produced lately . The 500i was a flop in my opinion ! I always found them very proprietary , which I suppose was a mission statement from head office !

I never liked Stihl anything since the Old MS260 , only because of a less than stellar dealership network locally . I find the 400 as the only really intriguing saw that they have produced lately . The 500i was a flop in my opinion ! I always found them very proprietary , which I suppose was a mission statement from head office !
I won't lie, I wouldn't have that 400 if there was any husqy available this past spring in my immediate area. Even then I had to make an hours drive and pay for it over the phone.
I don't have much of an opinion on the 500i. I keep looking at them and playing with them, then look at the 661cm and think more saw less money.... wait I have a 390xp and a 394xp what the heck do I need either of these for?

Neither. Get a ms400. It's a nice jump from that to a 90/95cc class saw.
Can't do stihl. Kinda like apple fones. Not the saw more the brand. Kinda like specialized bikes. Cloak and dagger.
Great marketing. Although love stihl chain.

Just enjoy husky. Ran my mates 576 a bit. Meh. And that saw cost him alot to keep running. Since then I've never had an interest in 5 series until now I guess. Love my 395.

Can't do stihl. Kinda like apple fones. Not the saw more the brand. Kinda like specialized bikes. Cloak and dagger.
Great marketing. Although love stihl chain.

Just enjoy husky. Ran my mates 576 a bit. Meh. And that saw cost him alot to keep running. Since then I've never had an interest in 5 series until now I guess. Love my 395.
With the saws you mentioned having there just isn't a need for a 70cc imo. I've always been on the 60&90 saw plan though. If the 60 can't it's just time to get a big saw out. We still have plenty of 40"+ oaks, locust black cherry ect around here. The 70cc saws fall flat on their faces.

I never liked Stihl anything since the Old MS260 , only because of a less than stellar dealership network locally . I find the 400 as the only really intriguing saw that they have produced lately . The 500i was a flop in my opinion ! I always found them very proprietary , which I suppose was a mission statement from head office !
I'd love to put a season on a 400 or a 462, but I can't see selling off my 372's to fund it.

The black powder rifle thing. Here in PA we have a limited inline season and a muzzle loader season, then a late archery.
Surly you guys realize the AR platform comes in many different calibers then .223/5.56. Quite a few that are great deer cartridges inside of 200 yards. But thats another conversation.
The AR platform offers no advantage for the hunting I do and quit a few disadvantages. IE you have to step up to an AR10 platform to get into a minimal all around deer/elk cartridge. When you do that you end up with a platform that is less reliable, less accurate and heavier than a bolt action rifle.

Neotec is worthy of a look. Yes, a Chinese clone but with mg crankcase, Euro carb and ignition. Many great reviews.

With the saws you mentioned having there just isn't a need for a 70cc imo. I've always been on the 60&90 saw plan though. If the 60 can't it's just time to get a big saw out. We still have plenty of 40"+ oaks, locust black cherry ect around here. The 70cc saws fall flat on their faces.
I guess it's the 24inch bar saw I miss. Other than my Mac 82s and the 395 I'm sorta stuck at 20. OK the 266 pulls a 24 but not really with proper authority. Hell the poulan 4000s pull a 24 better not as quick but better grunt.

Guess I'm looking for a 1 saw do it all and take a load off the vintage stuff.

Happily run that 81 all day. Good AV pretty light good power but don't want to wear it out.

People put 32s on 372s and that to me seems stupid. I doubt it would pull that in bluegum. Or oak or cherry.

It depends on the wood. A 400c will cut very well with a 28" bar in western softwood. In Upper mid west hardwoods not so much.
400 is a 70 wanna bee , so although not a wanna bee performer not a true 60 cc class saw , especially with consideration of it magnesium piston . Might as well run a muffler mod 365 vs a stock 365 not a fair or reasonable comparison , even reed valves alter the torgue factor within saws effectively ! P.S. Although , if I ever need a fill in saw a new Stihl 400 would be at the head of the line , if I could find a honest dealer lol .

neotecworld.com
I got curious. Not to buy but curious. Think they kinda filling a segment but ahhh buying a clone gives me shudders. I get it as a toy and a tinkering thing so why pay more for same thing. I get it for a non saw person who needs a saw on a budget but they also need help to keep a saw running and a dealer will say sod off.

I get what their tryna do but.....

A clone is a clone no matter how much lipstick its wearing its still a pig

I guess it's the 24inch bar saw I miss. Other than my Mac 82s and the 395 I'm sorta stuck at 20. OK the 266 pulls a 24 but not really with proper authority. Hell the poulan 4000s pull a 24 better not as quick but better grunt.

Guess I'm looking for a 1 saw do it all and take a load off the vintage stuff.

Happily run that 81 all day. Good AV pretty light good power but don't want to wear it out.

People put 32s on 372s and that to me seems stupid. I doubt it would pull that in bluegum. Or oak or cherry.
I mostly run a 20", just finding the 24" real handy recently, it's been an added bonus the 400 handles it well. I have multiple time ran a 24" on the 390xp or 394xp but often times just feel its a waste of gas to run that size if a saw with such a little bar on it. I'd be lying if I said I ran the 394xp much at all anymore. The 390xp is much more nimble for felling and limbing and has plenty of power for a 36" bar.

Back