7900 choke?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneno77

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Everyone who looked at my 7900 commented on how susceptible the choke switch looked to breakage. Their predictions came true this winter and I broke it off cutting firewood. Has anyone fabbed up a better mousetrap, or should I just order up a replacement? thanks.

I personally would order up a replacement. I have a 7900 and don't see how the choke is prone to breaking. Being that it is in the back of the saw, how did it break?

Wow...with that sucker sticking out so far, I thought it would be more common. Guess I'm just a clutz..(= Sit the saw down to stand up rounds for splitting..one round wasnt't quite stable I guess and tipped over on the back of the saw. Didn't even notice the break until I went to start the saw up later. Oh well...

I've never had a problem with the choke and probably would just order another stock one.

I used to have kill switches fall apart pretty often before I switched to Husky switches, but someone told me that the Dolmar switches are better now.

Agreed on the kill switch. Mines missing part of it's plastic, but it's still functional. Can't even remember what caused that break..(=

Agreed on the kill switch. Mines missing part of it's plastic, but it's still functional. Can't even remember what caused that break..(=

I have had the switches just fall apart in my hand. I don't think I'm even bumping them. They just seemed to dissolve. I use to have to keep a spare in the toolbox at all times.

I finally took 30 seconds and switched to a huksy switch (exact fit) and that's been over a year and no problems on either 7900.

While I was at it I reversed the switch position so it's the same as my huskies in that switch style.

I've had people comment on how the choke looks vulnerable. But the only time we've ever replaced one is when a guy forgot that he left his saw on a pile of wood on the back of his truck and drove away, the saw fell off and the choke was one of the parts that broke.
I'd also read on here how the switch is junk, so when we became a Dolmar dealer I made sure we stocked up on those. But they're still sitting on the shelf. We even sell quite a few parts mail order, but not a single switch. I'm wondering if Dolmar changed the sourcing on them.

My 6401 choke broke. I epoxied it back on. Has held for a year. I thought it was because my tailgate was down and it fell out of the truck going up a slow hill. I thought maybe it got weak because of that.

I've had people comment on how the choke looks vulnerable. But the only time we've ever replaced one is when a guy forgot that he left his saw on a pile of wood on the back of his truck and drove away, the saw fell off and the choke was one of the parts that broke.
I'd also read on here how the switch is junk, so when we became a Dolmar dealer I made sure we stocked up on those. But they're still sitting on the shelf. We even sell quite a few parts mail order, but not a single switch. I'm wondering if Dolmar changed the sourcing on them.
The choke does look "vulnerable" as it hangs out a bit but not too much compared to my Jred. I have no problems with mine nor the air filter. But it does hang out far and I could see a problem with it snapping in very cold weather if one was to put down or upward pressure on it instead of strait back or forth? Dam plastic lol.

i broke the choke handle on my 266 husky a chunk of must of hit when it was in the back of the truck. i just jimmy rigged a piece of wire as my choke now kinda hard to use with big gloves but it works just fine

Latest posts

Back