7900 Dolmar or Makita upgrade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They guy at the HD near me said every 3 years they get switched out, if they need it or not. The guy also said that the ones they have now, in service a year, have about 4 rentals on them each (they have 3). Mine wasn't worn out at all, still runs great, but I've only had it a season. It cost $235.
If it goes, and it is a cylinder/jug, it gives you the excuse to upgrade to the 7900!!

At the HDs near me they said the saws get sold every 2 years.

the ones up here seem to be on pretty much the same schedule, they all had new ones within 3 months of each other. I had to look all over to get the one I got.

Cat4fun,
do you have any pictures of the muffler mod on the 7900? I haven't gotten to doing this saw(6401) yet and was wondering what other people have done so I can get an idea of what to do to mine.

Here is a good thread with people modding the dolmar muffler. Steve freakingstang explains what to do in page 3-5 somewhere. Is was done just like the one of mine that is pictured side by side for comparisons. A friend did mine when he owned the saw before me.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32715&highlight=muffler+mod

Well, that would be any of my semi truck load of saws, but unfortunately I don't have a camera! :jester:

Now come on I seen that inbreed looking picture of you posted with your little pea shooter back when. :jester: :jester: :jester:

To get back in track...
I decided that I will keep my 6401 the way it is seeing that it still runs strongs and I will have no need for a working used 6401 jug and piston....use it till its dead.....then upgrade it to a 7900...

For now I found a couple prices on the 7900 tell me what you think of the prices
Local Dealer $730 with 28" bar
Online PHO $647
Amick $674 w/ 20" bar

These good or can I find better?

To get back in track...
I decided that I will keep my 6401 the way it is seeing that it still runs strongs and I will have no need for a working used 6401 jug and piston....use it till its dead.....then upgrade it to a 7900...

I thought Dolmar's never died:)

Well then I'm screwed and will never need to upgrade my 6401....I will lend it out and when they bust it by putting straight gas thru I'll have them pay to repair it.....thats a perfect plan....thanks.

To get back in track...

For now I found a couple prices on the 7900 tell me what you think of the prices
Local Dealer $730 with 28" bar
Online PHO $647
Amick $674 w/ 20" bar

These good or can I find better?

Glad to see that my reasoning made sense to you :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back