Dolmar 7900 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a 7900 that I built from a brand new 6400 using the OEM 79cc top end. Other than occasionally needing a little more from the oiler on a 32" bar, there is nothing I don't love about this saw. It's still pretty much mint, but I'd like to keep it for my fall firewood cutting season for many many years to come. I see that Dolmar no longer exists and gas saw parts are also going away from Makita soon. If you were going to collect a stash of the most needed parts for this saw, what would be on your list? thanks!

For me I've grabbed some filters, brake bands (broke one already) and plan on a coil. Mines a firewood saw so doesnt get heaps of use.

Slight oil leak on mine. Maybe an oil pump kit to replace and get rid of that slow leak? I am now replacing the top end on my DCS 6400 with a new P/C kit.. Saw stopped dead in its tracks last week while cutting large hardwood with a 28" bar. No compression at all and I cannot even see the piston's ring through the exhaust opening.
1698274313316.png
New top end kit is on the way. I'll rebuild it once again. Last time I did that was about 13 years ago, but the saw has had below average usage. Like you, I hate to have any saw on board that does not run.

Just buy 3 or 4 more Dolmar 7900's or their Smurfsickle cousins the Makita's as complete saws for parts and stock up on anything that is specific in the parts department- like seals or bearings (though I think both are pretty generic).
Spare cranks are always handy incase number 1 saw looses a lower rod bearing- you can never predict what might happen, what might break- accidents happen, trees do odd things when you are cutting them down or cutting them up, big things jump and roll- sometimes bits of saws get busted- parts saws are handy.

Would get a brake handle and band, some clutch parts, would order a few oil pump rebuild kits because the control bolts are nylon and they wear out at about 200 hours of use, maybe recoil, maybe a gas tank, maybe a top handle. Those last three kinda depend on how you use it. If you didn’t use it for felling you could probably cancel those. An anti-vibe buffer and spring set wouldn’t hurt. Maybe a fuel line, but you will always be able to use standard fuel line and a grommet to get you by there.

Back