8 or 10mm friction cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guran

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody using a 10 mm friction cord on a 12 mm climbing rope?
I climb on a 12 mm Hy-Vee from New England. Mostly SRT with a Hitch climber, VT and a RW.
I´m using a 8mm friction cord and when the rope get wet or damp, the VT is almost impossible to break.
When the rope is dry theres no problem. Thinking of trying a 10mm friction cord in damp conditions.
Would that make any sense?

2-3mm smaller rope for friction hitch then climbing rope is what most climb with. So the 10mm should work much better. Try it in dry conditions to. You may switch to 10mm for good.

I had a similar effect with 8mm on bluemoon with the hitch hiker. I prefer the 10mm that came with it despite other reviews. I think weight still plays a factor but even with more wraps the 8mm would still lock up tight

My vote is get a grigri
Grigri does not work well with 12mm ropes....
But, yes I already got a Grigri. Works well for RADS with a 10,5mm static rope.

Joe; yep, the weight is definitly a factor, and the number of wraps too. (I´m "normal" weight.) But even if I reduced to only two wraps/two braids the VTwouldn´t break in damp conditions. :mad:
I actually bought the Ocean poly because it should stand the abrasion better, but that was even harder to break when I used the VT. Even in dry conditions.
Well, time to get out and rig myself up with some 10 mm......

Back