9/16 Rigging Rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size of block should I be looking for (tonnage) to mate with my rope? I've decided on the 9/16 rope with a 15000 lb Max load limit.

Just get a CMI steel block that can take your rope diameter and has a higher weight rating than your rope.

Make sure you get the right sling to go with your block.

Just get a CMI steel block that can take your rope diameter and has a higher weight rating than your rope.

Make sure you get the right sling to go with your block.

I was going to take about it 20' off my 9/16 rope and make a sling with it. I take the rope and double over creating an eye to hold the block on one end and tie a hitch to secure to the tree.

I was going to take about it 20' off my 9/16 rope and make a sling with it. I take the rope and double over creating an eye to hold the block on one end and tie a hitch to secure to the tree.

Don't do that!! You'll wish you had that extra 20 at some point. Get ya some slings, I have a few loopies for that stuff, plus a few Tuflex I2I sling's of various sizes. If you need to go big on the sling action, use a whoopie sling. Don't cut your rope!

I have always heard your slings should be at least one size bigger then your rigging line.

I haven't heard that before, but it is great advice. I personally use whatever size sling is the largest the block will take. For example, I have the 3/4 CMI block (I went a little overkill on that one) and use a 3/4 sling even though the largest rope I will probably run through it is 5/8.

The way I see it, you want to try and eliminate as many weak links in the system as you can.

Arborist Blocks for Tree Rigging and Removal

I have used the CMI 3/4 and 5/8 blocks. Both work great. If you are going to be using a block a lot, and you aren't rigging out giant stuff, I would go with the 5/8 block personally. The reason I say that is because that 3/4 is heavier and more bulky. If you do have to move from one rigging point to another, it is a little more cumbersome to haul around.

If you are flying around in a bucket, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Don't do that!! You'll wish you had that extra 20 at some point. Get ya some slings, I have a few loopies for that stuff, plus a few Tuflex I2I sling's of various sizes. If you need to go big on the sling action, use a whoopie sling. Don't cut your rope!

Your right. Don't cut your rope...unless you have 600' or a bad spot at the end! I do hate cutting rope off because its like money down the toilet.

What size of block should I be looking for (tonnage) to mate with my rope? I've decided on the 9/16 rope with a 15000 lb Max load limit.

Do you mean 15k tensile strength? With a conservative safety factor of 10:1 your working load limit (wll) would be 1500 lbs, or being more aggressive with a 5:1 safety factor, a wll of 3k lbs.

But keep in mind that your block and block sling will take double the loading that your rig line does. Thats why slings should be bigger/stronger than the rope being used with them.

Your rope should be the weakest link in your rigging chain.

Back