94-98 dodge cummins 12v 5spd ext. cab 4x4

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Local guy has 500k on his 12v, great motors! The 95-97 powerstrokes were pretty dam good as well. I know of quite a few with 3-500k plus. The only problem with either one around here is finding one thats not rusted out. Everytime I go on vacation to somewhere warm I go truck shopping in hopes of getting lucky. My 95 powerstroke is rust free but it's taken alot of work and i've had it undercoated every couple years which is where the cancer starts on trucks around here.

I had a 98 2500 ram and traded it for a 07 with the 6.7 cummins and I had nothing but trouble out of it. The 98 was perfect but I got an itch to trade it in and I just recently got rid of the 07 and bought a new 2010 2500 ram with the 6.7 and a standard shift 6 speed. So for it has been perfect but it is too new to tell yet. I pull a 25 ft. gooseneck with it . The old 12 valves were the truck. They were the easiest to modify and they were die hards. I think that the 6.7 is a long way from proving itself like the 5.9.

I have a 97 2500 extended cab 4x4 with the NV4500 5 speed transmission. I bought it in 4/07 with 210k on the odometer. I can put almost a cord of split wood on it and it drives like it isn't there. Also I put 30 gallons of diesel in the tank and I go over 600 miles. It is by far the best truck I have ever had.

It took me over 2 years checking craigslist every day to find it. It had been neglected by the PO. I fix cars in my spare time so I got it running right and learned a lot about the truck in the process.

I have been told this is a million mile engine in a 100,000 mile truck.

You may want to check these sites:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/

There are classified ads there that may give you a lead. My advice is avoid anything with extream mods and anything with an automatic transmission.

7.3 powerstrokes and the 5.9 cummins were probably 2 of the best diesel engines ever made. The cummins was the most powerful to get the load up to speed while the 7.3 is best at keeping it trucking. The only knock I have on the cummins is the in cab noise, reminds me of riding in a watering can during a hail storm, Everytime I think minds loud my buddy's makes me appreciate it. I did just put a stage 2 afe intake on my ford and it increased the noise a bit but also offered more turbo whistle and midrange power.

ha ha ha yeah cummins great engine junk truck around it, ford/international good engine good truck and chevy 6.5 mid 90's diesel great truck but too many issues with the engine...

just went over that whole deal and ended up with a 95' f250 centurion with 158k on it for 3k...

not a bad deal other than the dana 50 and non dually 10.25, but she has duals any ways with spacers, and factory stacks that don't cost bed space!!!!!!

ha ha ha yeah cummins great engine junk truck around it, ford/international good engine good truck and chevy 6.5 mid 90's diesel great truck but too many issues with the engine...

just went over that whole deal and ended up with a 95' f250 centurion with 158k on it for 3k...

not a bad deal other than the dana 50 and non dually 10.25, but she has duals any ways with spacers, and factory stacks that don't cost bed space!!!!!!
Factory stacks huh:confused:

oh yeah they come up the side of the cab in front of the aluminum flat bed...

here's a pic back in the 90's centurion sold a factory upgraded f250 that was the state fair prize animal hauler... or showman's truck.... real oak trim inside and every thing...

sorry too big to up load here so i put them on my flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djberg/4774279671/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djberg/4774283381/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djberg/4774919750/sizes/l/

so well named the redneck express...

Love my '96 Ram 2500 HD.
195k miles.
It's close to 200HP unlike some of these newer ones at 350+, but I wouldn't trade mine for any of them.

KDP tabbed
TC lockup switch
Exhaust manifold will be next

KRS

Judging by this thread, it appears a Cummins never Dies.

My opinion, try to stay away from em, to many electronics involved, Personally, I would pay more for the 12v for the simple reason you can make it start and run, just my 2 cents, best of luck with whatever you end up with!

Me & dad have two of them...he has a 99' Quad cab long bed 24v 5spd...I have a 02' Quad cab short bed 24v 5spd. Both trucks have stainless steel straight pipes...& AEM intakes...i have a smarty in mine with the updated wild software...& dad is in the process of getting an edge comp or quadzilla adrenaline...hes not decided yet. We tow with both trucks almost daily...without a problem. The first thing we did to both trucks when we got them is put lift pumps on them...dad has a raptor 150...& I have an airdog DF165...mine holds 18lbs of fuel pressure constantly & dads holds 17lbs of pressure without a hitch. You can make a 24v just as reliable as a 12v by swapping the manual 2nd gen p7100 injection pump & gear off of a 12v & converting the 24v to it...guys usually do this for reliability or performance reasons or both. Im doing it to mine this winter...for both reasons of course. :laugh::laugh::laugh: But a 12 valve is hard to beat...& yes they are getting hard to find...as im looking for one as well...for a work/play/mudding truck.

Me & dad have two of them...he has a 99' Quad cab long bed 24v 5spd...I have a 02' Quad cab short bed 24v 5spd. Both trucks have stainless steel straight pipes...& AEM intakes...i have a smarty in mine with the updated wild software...& dad is in the process of getting an edge comp or quadzilla adrenaline...hes not decided yet. We tow with both trucks almost daily...without a problem. The first thing we did to both trucks when we got them is put lift pumps on them...dad has a raptor 150...& I have an airdog DF165...mine holds 18lbs of fuel pressure constantly & dads holds 17lbs of pressure without a hitch. You can make a 24v just as reliable as a 12v by swapping the manual 2nd gen p7100 injection pump & gear off of a 12v & converting the 24v to it...guys usually do this for reliability or performance reasons or both. Im doing it to mine this winter...for both reasons of course. :laugh::laugh::laugh: But a 12 valve is hard to beat...& yes they are getting hard to find...as im looking for one as well...for a work/play/mudding truck.

I have a 99, (finally p-pumped, thank God!) and my Dad is driving a stock 00, (He's running a FASS 150), the main problem I have with the stock 24v, is the sensors seem to try to pick the worst time to quit. It seems they can tell you are 1500 mi. from home, then they no worky. Plus, IMHO, the vp-44 pump is the biggest P.O.S Cummins ever bolted to their engines.

But then again, I take a look at the newer ones, they make the vp's look fairly sensible.

I have a 99, (finally p-pumped, thank God!) and my Dad is driving a stock 00, (He's running a FASS 150), the main problem I have with the stock 24v, is the sensors seem to try to pick the worst time to quit. It seems they can tell you are 1500 mi. from home, then they no worky. Plus, IMHO, the vp-44 pump is the biggest P.O.S Cummins ever bolted to their engines.

But then again, I take a look at the newer ones, they make the vp's look fairly sensible.

Which hp P7100 did you decide to put on 175hp or the bigger 215hp pump?....im lookin for a used but good 215hp pump..i have a 175hp pump now but it has issues...i would rather sell it to someone who wants it for a core...or just use it as a core myself and buy a 13mm scheid diesel built 215hp pump...if i found a good used 215hp pump i probably would buy it straght out...i dont really want to throw money at it right now...i figure ill convert my truck to P7100 over winter. And yes im not a fan of the vp44 either...they're a good pump when they work....but starve them of fuel pressure and you'll have problems. And yes the newer common rail cummins and 6.7 cummins have the CP3 inj. pump...they are more relable than the vp44 but have complex electronics compared to even the vp44 trucks....lol:cheers::agree2:

Which hp P7100 did you decide to put on 175hp or the bigger 215hp pump?....im lookin for a used but good 215hp pump..i have a 175hp pump now but it has issues...i would rather sell it to someone who wants it for a core...or just use it as a core myself and buy a 13mm scheid diesel built 215hp pump...if i found a good used 215hp pump i probably would buy it straght out...i dont really want to throw money at it right now...i figure ill convert my truck to P7100 over winter. And yes im not a fan of the vp44 either...they're a good pump when they work....but starve them of fuel pressure and you'll have problems. And yes the newer common rail cummins and 6.7 cummins have the CP3 inj. pump...they are more relable than the vp44 but have complex electronics compared to even the vp44 trucks....lol:cheers::agree2:

Sorry it took so long to answer,(seems like not many hrs in the day lately), I'm running the 175 pump for the time being, so far no issues, but I would like to trade up to the 215 the first time that finances allow.

And I agree 100% about the common rails being complex, but then again, I'm still learning things about the old first Gen.'s. I figure by the time I'm about 87 yrs. old, I might have the newer ones figured out.:cheers:

The 175 pump being one off a 95 manual tranny truck? That pump is pretty much identical to the 160 pump. They like a little more timing than the 180 and 215s. The old first gens are reliable as the sun coming up and easy to work on. They won't make a whole lot of power but a set of injectors and timing bump they will pull right with the new trucks.

The 175 pump being one off a 95 manual tranny truck? That pump is pretty much identical to the 160 pump. They like a little more timing than the 180 and 215s. The old first gens are reliable as the sun coming up and easy to work on. They won't make a whole lot of power but a set of injectors and timing bump they will pull right with the new trucks.

I agree...but its hard to beat those P7100's for fuel delivery in mass and pressure, and rpm capability....its hard to get a VE truck to 500hp with a re-worked 13mm pump head, high quality injectors and twin turbo's and other stuff...reliable as hell though...so are 24 valves with a P7100 though...lolol;):laugh::D

Actually, the last engine it was bolted to was a 96, (but I was told it was not the stock pump), the 96 engine took a digger, got kinda hot and cracked the block behind the oil cooler, so I swapped for it just for the pump, gear, etc.etc.
To be totally honest, I dont think my engine has the power now, that it had before,(with the vp), but at least it starts everytime, I would never go back.
Sometimes trying to figure out the electronic malfunctions with the vp was like,:deadhorse::deadhorse:, and it didnt want to get back up.

Latest posts

Back