9th hole score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterrum

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The other day I was driving by one of our golf courses and I saw 3 logs on the ground at the 9th hole. I jumped the fence to have a look at them, elm, about 2ft diameter and cut short about 4ft. long. So the next day I popped into their shop and had a chat with one of the groundskeepers about it. He said that I could have the logs and he would help me load them onto my trailer. Me taking them would save him from having to dump them on their burn pile. So I went there the next day and he got his tractor out with forks on the front, we drove out to the 9th hole and he loaded them up for me. I offered him some of the slabs i was going to cut up and then he offered up any other wood that I wanted from the course when they do their spring pruning and course maintenance. Good contact made, now I have to start paying a visit to the other courses in the area.

Slabbed the logs up yesterday.

great score! always cool when something like that happens. looks like some pretty wood. i haven't been able to mill any elm yet, but it always looks attractive.
cheers
mb

Man, that has some nice color.

170122d1296314424-p1260002-jpg

170121d1296314403-p1270006-jpg

Don't know how many Elm logs we burned on the brush pile to get rid of them. Never knew they were so pretty. Is there a commercial use for Elm? Nice score too. I saw an Oak down on a golf course off rt 70 in MD and thought about asking for it. The next day when I went by it was cut up into firewood, Joe.

I really liked the colour, lots of brown shades and some yellows. I got the pile stickered and stacked today, took the bark off some of the slabs to give them a live edge. I will probably use those for a hall table and sell the rest off. I ended up with 17x 2 and 3 inch slabs and 4 x 1inch slabs. Not bad for a couple of days work.

The other day I was driving by one of our golf courses and I saw 3 logs on the ground at the 9th hole. I jumped the fence to have a look at them, elm, about 2ft diameter and cut short about 4ft. long. So the next day I popped into their shop and had a chat with one of the groundskeepers about it. He said that I could have the logs and he would help me load them onto my trailer. Me taking them would save him from having to dump them on their burn pile. So I went there the next day and he got his tractor out with forks on the front, we drove out to the 9th hole and he loaded them up for me. I offered him some of the slabs i was going to cut up and then he offered up any other wood that I wanted from the course when they do their spring pruning and course maintenance. Good contact made, now I have to start paying a visit to the other courses in the area.

Slabbed the logs up yesterday.

Peter, that's some nice pieces of elm.

170122d1296314424-p1260002-jpg

jerry-

Looked at this post for the wood , but then I noticed the hoist on the trailer. Is the hoist permanently attached? What kind of weight will it handle and how high would it lift?

Looking like I'll have a project coming from looking at this for my small trailer!!!!

Scott

Last edited:
Scott

The hoist is just all right, it says that it will lift 1000 lbs. but 500 lbs. is more realistic. I have a bit of work to do on mine when I get the time and it warms up a bit. It has 4 bolts going through the base and the deck and underneath I have to beef it up with some flat steel or angle iron to stretch across the underside of the whole deck. I tried to lift something quite heavy this past summer and the deck boards started to twist. I should be able to pull the trailer beside a log, hoist it up and swivel it onto the deck of the trailer and then do the reverse. Until I get the supports underneath I will have to muscle my logs around. The hoists are reasonably priced around $120.

Cheers

Thanks for the info.

Do you happen to remember where you got the lift from? Already did some searching for one in the local area, but I keep coming up empty-handed.....
I was thinking that maybe a 'engine hoist' would make for a good hoisting system. But if I'm to have to reduce the lifting capacity by half, it could become quite expensive!

Do you happen to have any photo's just showing off the hoist system on the side of the trailer?

Scott

If you build your own hoist, a hub from a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup rearend (take the axle out, torch off the housing) makes a real nice pivot to spin the boom on. Make a flange on a pipe for the mast, and bolt it to the axle stud holes.

Latest posts

Back